My Equilibrium Tuning experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Thumbs up

I got the same road tuning work from Ed a few weeks ago, he did a great job and I'm currently guaging my fuel economy (that was the main thing he tuned it for as well as giving me power down-low on the RPM band. He definitely knows what he is doing and I would recommend his tuning skills to anyone. Plus the introductory price is very tempting. Thanks Ed

Here's the printout (sorry that was the wrong one here is the EQ proper), car has intercooler/radiator hoses, k&n filter, 2.5" exhaust, ECUtek reflash made:
Attached Thumbnails My Equilibrium Tuning experience-alan-catback.jpg  

Last edited by thebankman; 02-07-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
duo

Car Info: WRB WRX 2004
Originally Posted by UK n00b
He dyno'd on our dyno, with his UTEC and the stage 1 map preprogrammed he ran 164whp and around the same tq, if he ran the stock map it would have been 150-155whp. We see about a 5-10% difference between the numbers on our Mustang dyno than using the road dyno feature of Delta Dash, although I can make that difference greatly higher depending upon elevation etc etc.

Nice numbers and curve!

Mike
Thanks mike for the nice post. The only question i have is how you change elevation and how you can change the difference.. Im not sure what you mean?please explain.thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Originally Posted by Long_Travel_WRX
sorry guys but a tuner not using a wideband is just retarded, i had an expirence with a tuner that road tuned my car without a wideband goin off the ecutek software and lets just say it was way off, close to 12.6 afr where he thought it was safe although i was heavy modded still , i know ed knows what hes doin its just you need to be a little more careful id say if he dosnt have a dyno i would pay to rent one out so he could tune my car in a controled safe enviroment, my .02 cents
FYI Ed tuned my car at ATP and on the road, and then put my car on the Mustang Dyno and it only put down 235hp/260tq.

The bottom line is that the car feels better in real-world conditions than how the graph looks or how high the numbers are on the mustang dyno.

Take a ride in it and you'll see what I mean...****loads of torque!

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/got-teh-tune-82603/

Last edited by Group B; 02-07-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Long_Travel_WRX
sorry guys but a tuner not using a wideband is just retarded, i had an expirence with a tuner that road tuned my car without a wideband goin off the ecutek software and lets just say it was way off, close to 12.6 afr where he thought it was safe although i was heavy modded still , i know ed knows what hes doin its just you need to be a little more careful id say if he dosnt have a dyno i would pay to rent one out so he could tune my car in a controled safe enviroment, my .02 cents

Long_Travel,

I'm not sure who tuned your car w/o a wideband previously, but I personally understand that the a/f values you input into the ecutek software are just approximations and can deffinately be way off in certain places. I take this into account and I also use other feedback to make sure my a/f is well on the conservative side. I'm not saying that a wideband isn't a great tuning tool... it obviously is. But there are good ways of getting close and staying conservative without oned... as per Duo's very resonable EGT levels.

-- Ed

Equilibrium Tuning
EQTuning.com
Old 02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

He dyno'd on our dyno, with his UTEC and the stage 1 map preprogrammed he ran 164whp and around the same tq, if he ran the stock map it would have been 150-155whp. We see about a 5-10% difference between the numbers on our Mustang dyno than using the road dyno feature of Delta Dash, although I can make that difference greatly higher depending upon elevation etc etc.

Nice numbers and curve!

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the nice comment.
I realize that the road dyno numbers won't be a perfect match to your mustang numbers... or any other dyno for that matter, but I think given certain provisions, they should be on the conservative side.
FYI, I always use "very heavy smoothing" which gives significantly lower numbers than just the heavy smoothing mode. I also make sure to make runs on the same flat roads out here in davis and do a couple runs each way to make sure there really is no grade to the road... so far these roads have proven to be the flattest I've ever found .
But hey... we all know what really matters are the gains, not the actual numbers. It would be nice to be able to compare the road dyno numbers to your mustang though... maybe we can persuade Duo to make a couple runs at Gruppe-S .

Thanks
-- Ed

Equilibrium Tuning
EQTuning.com
Old 02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by duo
Thanks mike for the nice post. The only question i have is how you change elevation and how you can change the difference.. Im not sure what you mean?please explain.thanks
If you were to attempt your runs downhill thus changing the loading of the car.

Like Ed said it's the gains that are important not the peak numbers, it's also how the car maintains it's torque. There should be no peak fall off.

Mike
Old 02-07-2005, 01:48 PM
duo

If you were to attempt your runs downhill thus changing the loading of the car.

Like Ed said it's the gains that are important not the peak numbers, it's also how the car maintains it's torque. There should be no peak fall off.

Mike
oh ok. I thought you meant that you change it.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
BTW, I had my car tuned previously on the ATP dyno in Fremont and it made 216hp (very aggressive tune, now it's tuned for fuel economy which means 16psi is now 15psi at WOT and air/fuel and timing are turned down), which tells you that dyno puts out higher numbers than are seen on a road tune. The roads around Davis are flat as can be. Looks like the tune between our cars are pretty similar.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:32 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Group B
FYI Ed tuned my car at ATP and on the road, and then put my car on the Mustang Dyno and it only put down 235hp/260tq.

The bottom line is that the car feels better in real-world conditions than how the graph looks or how high the numbers are on the mustang dyno.

Take a ride in it and you'll see what I mean...****loads of torque!

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82603

That torque curve is pretty verticle, how does the car feel during that time? Since that's a very quick jump, does the car ever feel like it's losing traction or anything of the sort?

Though, shouldn't the max torque be close to where the RPM drops to when you shift, so after you shift you have the max power again?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
That torque curve is pretty verticle, how does the car feel during that time? Since that's a very quick jump, does the car ever feel like it's losing traction or anything of the sort?

Though, shouldn't the max torque be close to where the RPM drops to when you shift, so after you shift you have the max power again?
When you say the curve looks vertical, do you mean at the very begining? I'm not sure at what RPM the dyno was started, but that could account for the quick rise in torque at the begining. I'll let Dahveed fill you in on the feel part, although when I tuned the car, it felt great and pulled very linearly through the entire power band on the street. I'm pretty sure Dahveed is offering rides in his car to anyone who wants to check it out.

Thanks
-- Ed

Equilibrium Tuning
EQTuning.com
Old 02-07-2005, 03:00 PM

Car Info: WRX
Hey duo how much you pay for this and were at

HectWRX
Old 02-07-2005, 03:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by thebankman
BTW, I had my car tuned previously on the ATP dyno in Fremont and it made 216hp (very aggressive tune, now it's tuned for fuel economy which means 16psi is now 15psi at WOT and air/fuel and timing are turned down), which tells you that dyno puts out higher numbers than are seen on a road tune. The roads around Davis are flat as can be. Looks like the tune between our cars are pretty similar.

Alan,

Actually while your boost is 1psi lower, your timing is actually a bit higher to maintain the same peak power as your previous tune was running and to improve low end torque a bit as well. You're correct in saying that the road dyno reads significantly lower than ATP's dynojet.

-- Ed

Equilibrium Tuning
EQTuning.com
Old 02-07-2005, 03:44 PM
duo

Originally Posted by HectorWRX
Hey duo how much you pay for this and were at

HectWRX
you have a pm.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Where is EQ tuning? And who is Ed?

Please tell me its not i-speed related.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

I'm Ed and EQ Tuning is located in Davis, CA.
Although I have a good relationship with I-Speed, I'm not offiliated with them.

-- Ed

Equilibrium Tuning
EQTuning.com

Quick Reply: My Equilibrium Tuning experience