is my car worth auto-x'n

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:06 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by resident smurf
+1 for auto-x. I would recommend doing a school rather than an SCCA competition event since with a school, you'll typically run all day, whereas an SCCA event will only get you 3 real runs plus 3 or so fun runs (if that). Since you're not going to be competitive in your class anyways (probably STX if I'm reading it right), you should probably take the instruction.

Pretty sure FK-451's are "Ultra-High Performance - Summer Tires" (they are not M+S rated).

http://www.vulcantire.com/ultra.htm

Those tires are rumored to have a stickier 2nd half of the tread (meaning they get much grippier once they wear down significantly). Some autocrossers would use the "cheater" 245/35 sizes, shave em to 4/32nds, and run them competitively against Azenis and max. performance summer rubber in street tire classes. Tricky...

Another great site is www.baautox.com.
Damn Sean, you got me there. These tires feel like all season tires and handle like them as well. So where can I get these suckers shaved?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:30 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I do not have my fenders rolled, and I ran a 225/45/17 S-03 on SSR Comps with a +50 offset with no problem. I am lowered, though I never took the time to measure how much, but it is enough to just barely fit an index + middle finger into the wheel well.
yah but hes a wagon. u may have to roll em
Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by dynamicprojeKtz
yah but hes a wagon. u may have to roll em

oh yeah, forgot about no fender flares...
Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 07 STI
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
oh yeah, forgot about no fender flares...
I'm also a bit worried about the fitment cuz kumho mx's are supposed to be a little bigger than what they are advertised as.

As for auto-x schools, does anyone know of any that will be in the area in the next few months or so?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:41 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by JRsWRX
As for auto-x schools, does anyone know of any that will be in the area in the next few months or so?
www.gglotus.org

That's all that I know of. A lot of the other clubs have already held their auto-x schools for the year.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:22 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Lightbulb

www.gglotus.org
A lot of the other clubs have already held their auto-x schools for the year.
SCCA school should be coming up sometime in a few months.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:03 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by 2cam16
SCCA school should be coming up sometime in a few months.
When is it? It's not on the SFR SCCA schedule. i'd be interested in attending just for seat time...
Old 04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
When is it? It's not on the SFR SCCA schedule. i'd be interested in attending just for seat time...
Sean,

It's typically after the national tour, which is at the end of the month. So look for an updated schedule with the autox school on it for some time in May or June.

Hope to see you there, it will be my first time to go should it fall into my schedule.

-Gagan
Old 04-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Old School

Hey everyone, I have a 02 wrx wagon and I want to get into auto-x events, but I'm not sure if its worth it (as in if it can take it). As for suspension mods I have whiteline front sway, cobb rear sway, whiteline front and rear endlinks, whitline rear strut tower, and sittin on kumho mx 225/45/17 tires. Whats your opinion on this, should I really go and try autocrossing this despite the insane amount of body roll?

You should come out to Marina this coming Sunday. STX runs in the morning, so be there by 7:30am, and look for me in the '99 Impreza Coupe #285. I'll help you get setup, and ready to run, ready to have fun.

-Gagan
Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Hey everyone, I have a 02 wrx wagon and I want to get into auto-x events, but I'm not sure if its worth it (as in if it can take it). As for suspension mods I have whiteline front sway, cobb rear sway, whiteline front and rear endlinks, whitline rear strut tower, and sittin on kumho mx 225/45/17 tires. Whats your opinion on this, should I really go and try autocrossing this despite the insane amount of body roll?
I've been holding out for a long time on autocross.. sorta thinking the same thing.... was my car worthy? Are the other drivers going be be ********* and laugh at me if I suck?

Well, a few of my friends finally convinced me.. MCDrama, Duo and EvoDadi around here... I went today for my first autocross. Had a total blast, even being sick and in the rain. And nobody seems to pay too much attention to anyone unless you want to shoot your mouth off first... They're all there just having a good time.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:04 PM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
yea, attend the UFO event, more seat time than SCCA. Minimum 4 runs with 60+ seconds course. If you stick around, you could get fun runs as well. I've heard someone ran 15 runs yesterday! :O
Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Racenut
I've been holding out for a long time on autocross.. sorta thinking the same thing.... was my car worthy? Are the other drivers going be be ********* and laugh at me if I suck?

Well, a few of my friends finally convinced me.. MCDrama, Duo and EvoDadi around here... I went today for my first autocross. Had a total blast, even being sick and in the rain. And nobody seems to pay too much attention to anyone unless you want to shoot your mouth off first... They're all there just having a good time.

+1

stock is actually pretty fun feeling the car sway everywhere.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by wm07
yea, attend the UFO event, more seat time than SCCA. Minimum 4 runs with 60+ seconds course. If you stick around, you could get fun runs as well. I've heard someone ran 15 runs yesterday! :O
I'm going to try to make it to some of these... but dammit... Marina is damn far away, lol.

-Gagan