My bike build

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 PM
DUB

Car Info: 03 Wagon
Originally Posted by Horse
ok so i did some research and found out that there are also internal routed brake cables, and brake levers that go on the end of the bar rather than on the side of the bar. i really like the look plus ill have brakes. i want this to look really clean (cable tucked/ internally routed) and safe. i probably need to drill a hole into the handle bar and possibly into the stem, steerer tube, and fork. i have little grommets that i bought for my car that i can use to protect the cable from being cut by the holes i will make.

anyone notice any downfalls with this setup?
Yeah, go with one Time Trial lever (the kind your talking about that mount on the end of a bullhorn bar), it will look clean.

The cable doesn't go inside the bar, it just goes underneath the bar tape. If you don't plan on wrapping the whole bar you can just secure it with electrical tape. Black bar, black cable housing, black tape routed on the bottom of the bar; nobody will be able to tell.

The brake is designed to be used with specific cable routing. The cable leaves the bars at about the stem and flows down to the brake arm. Routing it some trick way through the steer tube just wouldn't work. Besides, if you drilled a hole through your head tube and steer tube and ran a cable though it your bike would no longer turn.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
why are most fixies a bunch of tree hugging ***gots?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
DUB

Originally Posted by blue blurr
You mean people who ride fixies? Or the bikes themselves are tree hugging ***gots?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Car Info: Rollin' on compressed buffalo
Originally Posted by DUB
Yeah, go with one Time Trial lever (the kind your talking about that mount on the end of a bullhorn bar), it will look clean.

The cable doesn't go inside the bar, it just goes underneath the bar tape. If you don't plan on wrapping the whole bar you can just secure it with electrical tape. Black bar, black cable housing, black tape routed on the bottom of the bar; nobody will be able to tell.

The brake is designed to be used with specific cable routing. The cable leaves the bars at about the stem and flows down to the brake arm. Routing it some trick way through the steer tube just wouldn't work. Besides, if you drilled a hole through your head tube and steer tube and ran a cable though it your bike would no longer turn.
gotcha. i also figured that the cable would make too many sharp turns from the bars to the steerer tube (drilled straight from bars to stem to steerer, no headtube drilling) and the cable and basic operation of the brake would stiffen and bind.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
Originally Posted by blue blurr

why are most spec miata racers a bunch of hairdressing ***gots? I don't like them either but I don't go out of my way to knock them. There's always a flip side to things
Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by fizay
why are most spec miata racers a bunch of hairdressing ***gots? I don't like them either but I don't go out of my way to knock them. There's always a flip side to things
Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Just to make it clear to the OP since a lot of people have mentioned 48x17 --- This is the wrong ratio to use for hill climbing. 48x17 is great for flat, but you're going to be way out of your power band trying to take that up hills.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Take a geared bike (with 700c wheels) for a ride meanwhile keeping it in the same gear. Figure out what ratio works, and then apply that ratio to the 17t cog you've already purchased to figure out the ideal chainring size.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Originally Posted by fizay
We like the way we look.

I've got a few buddies who ride fixies, some who are into it and get new parts etc, and some that have 20 dollar bikes that just happen to be fixies because that's the only rear wheel they could find. I've met some normal down to earth cyclist that ride fixies, but it just seems that all I see now are these nubs that jumped on the bandwagon. They got the tight pants, little caps, v neck shirts and seem to think they own the road and ride where ever they want. It's also ****ing hilarious when you see these 12 year old kids who are dressed the same riding fixies that are WAY to big for them.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:08 PM

update:

i noticed that there was a little packaging blemish on the frame and it has become a serious eye sore
Name:  002-2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  18.1 KB

the fix
Name:  001-2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  35.3 KB

and then these babies came in a nice brown box from the forks in brown
Name:  003.jpg
Size:  31.7 KB

nashbar forks compared to the stock kilo tt forks. huge weight difference

Name:  005-1.jpg
Size:  40.8 KB
Old 09-17-2009, 05:12 PM

i just picked this up today and installed the rim tape as well as the all weather tire. sealed bearings on a formula hub. the finish seems bulletproof. i wrestled with the tire and never made a scratch. still needs air though

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  47.6 KB
Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM
DUB

^ cool.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
That frame looks familiar, good luck on the build, and put some brakes on before you kill yourself.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM

Car Info: 07 350Z
Damn that looks awesome. I really want to build a bike too, I think next summer, it will be my project. I'm too busy with school now. How much is it going to be to build this? Keep us updated.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by earlyapex
That frame looks familiar, good luck on the build, and put some brakes on before you kill yourself.
i wish mine were as nicely completed as yours. what size frame? stem rise *?

Originally Posted by JDM555
Damn that looks awesome. I really want to build a bike too, I think next summer, it will be my project. I'm too busy with school now. How much is it going to be to build this? Keep us updated.
my budget is a grand with trial/error, brand new parts, and tools, but it can be had for less if you know exactly what to get and where to get it. i'm not really going cheap on parts so the brand/quality/setup/new or used plays a factor. so far im just under that and still need a seat post, saddle, brakes, headset, and stem...

Quick Reply: My bike build