Must recind bid for the govenorship on my High Octane platform

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Must recind bid for the govenorship on my High Octane platform

I'm sorry to inform you all, that despite my last post about higher octane gasoline for California I am going to have to recind my bid for the governorship in the over-regulated state of California. Instead I have decided to drop on gallon of Sherwin-Williams Xylene into every tank of 91 octane pumped into my car from 76.

Seriously though... I was putting in like 2 cans of Xylene from Home Depot once in a while. It was better. It was an occassional treat. But you know with 1 can it feels just as good. And if you want the numbers:

91 * 14.9g + 117 * 1g = 15 gal of 92.64

And its probably closer to 93 because of the characteristics of mixed octane rating gasolines.

Just one gallon at like $7.50 has made everything so much smoother and more responsive. I won't claim gobs of power or room for boost. But damn, its way better than all that "why are the characteristics of my engine always changing" at 91.

As for the (San Francisco) price for 91@76 and S&W Xylene:

14.9g * $2.30 + 1g * $7.50 = $41.77

Compare to needing 3 gallons GT100 unleaded ($4.50/gal?) to get the same effect:

12.9g * $2.30 + 3g * $4.50 = $43.17

And the Xylene is far more accessible. Also, Sherwin-Williams makes their own Xylene, which is why its cheaper than Home Depot. As far as long term effects... I don't think 1 can of non-lubricated, no-degergent Xylene will hurt anything when mixed with 15 gallons of good quality 76.

And that's all I have to say about this beat-dead-horse subject

jason
Old 08-22-2003, 11:17 AM

Car Info: Soon to be a 2011 WRX?
Our tanks hold 15.9 Gallons?!

I always thought it was only 14.9.

Holy ****sauce Batman! That means the farking gaslight in my car is coming on practically the 1/4 tank mark. Strange.

-Alan
Old 08-22-2003, 12:03 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
i heard xylene corrodes rubber fuel lines... i'll stick with my tuluene...

Old 08-22-2003, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
And for those of you that use toluene, how many of you mix it with ATF and that other additive? Just wondering. Everytime I have used toluene, it has been straight toluene, no additives. Someone was saying that the additives help lubrication. But from all of the research I have done on toluene, I haven't read anything else about using these additives. What do you guys think.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

I would bet large sums of money that Xylene and Toluene will do the same to car parts... as will any hydrocarbons of the same caliber. This might be corrosion or just no effect at all...

Whatever the case, a 15:1 solution I dont think its that big of a deal. If it was, dripping in on your hands in pure form would be a trip to the hospital

jason
Old 08-22-2003, 01:22 PM

Significant health hazards and fire risks can arise from handling Toluene and Xylene, so home chemistry is not recommended. In addition, Xylene is a powerful solvent capable or eroding seals and quickly removing varnish build-up form a fuel system. The use of Xylene could, therefore, lead to a number of fuel system disorders.
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Volvo_Books/maint8.html
Old 08-22-2003, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
ya but i was thinking of getting some methonal and huffing it. Anyone got any better ideas?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:29 PM

i heard toluene can be used as a drug on some public t.v. channel awhile back. try that?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Dave, who wrote that stuff? I'd love to see a real scientist write about this stuff

The problem with this fear of corrossion, etc is that your gasoline already has xylene and toluene in it. So you should already be worrying... if you should be in the first place. I can find other pages on the internet written by amatuers like those you point out who say the opposite. So who's right?

Sure Xylene is also a powerful solvent. But don't you think Toluene is too? Why do you think Sherwin-Williams sells both? The difference is (analogous to the octane difference) is that one evaporates quicker. So paints and laquers can be thinned to have a longer or shorter time to apply them/curing time. Same difference... well except that Toluene is 114 R+M/2 and Xylene is 117

In the same vein, if they are such serious health risks, why is there no control for these substances? Anyone can walk into Sherwin-Williams and get a 5 gal can. And for that matter, a dangerous substance sold in the US in 5 gal cans? And finally, both chemicals are widely used in the painting industry.

Its not worse than, infact its a larger part of, regular gasoline. Treat it with respect and it wont damage you or your car anymore than regular gasoline.

jason
Old 08-22-2003, 02:00 PM

lets just test it... we'll soak some rubber hoses in each and see what happens. i have a feeling they have more differences than just their name, octane rating, and time to evaporate...

lets, of course, do this at tommy's where the rest of CA's health hazard tests are done
Old 08-22-2003, 02:39 PM

Here is more info on toluene's effect on nylon:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...=5;t=000065;p=

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS DO NOT HURT NYLON (LISTED RANDOMLY). They can be used freely in the gas tank. (The letters in parentheses indicate how well they dissolved the material from used oil, A=best.):

· Toluene (A)
· 2-Phenoxyethanol (A)
· Duralube Fuel System Treatment (B)
· B-12 Chemtool (B)
· Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner (C)
· Techron Concentrate (D)
· STP Intake Valve Cleaner (E)
· Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· CD-2 Emission Cure
· Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· Aromatic distillates
· Naphtha
· Butyl cellosolve
· Acetone
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 08-22-2003, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Unfortunately, he doesn't use Xylene in any of his testing... However, on the same thread someone said:

Toluene and xylene are almost identical in structure and chemical properties. They can be used interchangably here. Both are good solvents for tarry deposits. If I had to reduce my lists to the one, single, most effective, safest cleaner, I'd say toluene (or xylene.)
But then, what are his sources? I do know that Toluene and Xylene are VERY similar not just in composition but in molecular structure. That last point is the key to its chemical behavior.

Ody, hahahahahah too freakin funny No wonder Tommy has that spotty skin and all those boils

jason
Old 08-22-2003, 06:26 PM

Here is a very good octane calculator you can use when mixing your poison, no pun intended, for octane improvement:
http://easyperformance.com/Octane_Bo...rd_Content.htm

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 08-22-2003, 11:12 PM
VIP Member

I usually solve this set of simultaneous eqns:

x + y = 15.9

(91x + yOh)/15.9 = Od

where 15.9 is the # of gallons for out tank, x is the number of gallons of 91, y is the number of gallons of the higher octane, Oh is the higher octane and Od is the desired octane. Set x = 15.9 - y and solve for y.

Yeah, I'm a freakin; genious

jason