Moving to another country, need info on shipping!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Underpants Gnome

Car Info: 1.4 Ford Fiesta
Moving to another country, need info on shipping!

Well if all goes as planned, I will be moving to the land of bad teeth and bitter beers in June. Now the question becomes how am I going to get my stuff over there. I am going to sell off most of what I own, which isn't too much being that I am an unmarried guy living in a duplex. However I have a lot of books and magazines, and a whole bunch of other small stuff that I want sent over there. So what is the best way? Large shipping container? Are there agencies that will split the cost of a shipping container if you don't need the whole thing?

Hopefully there are some people on here that have gone through the same thing that can offer some expirience. I know that moving is a PITA within the United States, so I am not expecting international shipping to be any easier.

Also is there anybody here who has moved a pet, like a cat, into another country? I have found websites that have detailed steps about what to do, but I would like to hear from someone who has done it. I don't have much money, so I don't know if I can afford to take my cat over there

-James
Old 09-21-2006, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by British Banger
Well if all goes as planned, I will be moving to the land of bad teeth and bitter beers in June. Now the question becomes how am I going to get my stuff over there. I am going to sell off most of what I own, which isn't too much being that I am an unmarried guy living in a duplex. However I have a lot of books and magazines, and a whole bunch of other small stuff that I want sent over there. So what is the best way? Large shipping container? Are there agencies that will split the cost of a shipping container if you don't need the whole thing?

Hopefully there are some people on here that have gone through the same thing that can offer some expirience. I know that moving is a PITA within the United States, so I am not expecting international shipping to be any easier.

Also is there anybody here who has moved a pet, like a cat, into another country? I have found websites that have detailed steps about what to do, but I would like to hear from someone who has done it. I don't have much money, so I don't know if I can afford to take my cat over there

-James
The best way? Get relocated and ship on the company's dime. This is what I did and lived in Stratford-on-Avon for about 2 yrs. A few people brought their stuff over on their own and there is frankly no way to do it cheap. I would look into ABF freight and see if you can crate or palletize your stuff. They basically ship 40ft containers and ship them when they fill, so it takes a little longer but it is cheaper. I moved to/from Hawaii last year and it cost me about $4500 to ship over my stuff - this was 3x pallets stacked 5' high with boxes and under 600lbs each.

I know a guy who shipped his friggin Suburban and Chrysler Sebring to the UK when I lived there. I am still having trouble with that. After paying around $6k per car, he had to retrofit to pass MOT. Durrrr...
Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Plus having a Suburban in the UK is pretty $$ in and of itself...

But shipping over a Sebring?? WTF? :rotfl:

Maybe it was the car has "sementimental value."
Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Underpants Gnome

Lol @ the suburban. I saw a few chrysler 300 C's on the motorway's over there, they looked really out of place!

Thanks for the info on the crates, I'll look into that!

I am a student right now, so there is no big corporation to pay for the move .

-James
Old 09-21-2006, 07:51 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
Here's some info on moving pets from the US to the UK: http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...1=&L2=&a=28679

Luckily, there's no 6 month quarantine anymore.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
awe James! you come back to BAIC to tell us you're moving to the motha land? lucky bastard! Lets stay in touch, I might be going to the UK next year for a trip of a life time.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Lol @ the suburban. I saw a few chrysler 300 C's on the motorway's over there, they looked really out of place!

Thanks for the info on the crates, I'll look into that!

I am a student right now, so there is no big corporation to pay for the move .

-James
Yeah it was damn funny.. The best part is there is a McD's in Redditch where he actually got the thing completely wedged into the drive-thru. Called work to have someone help.

Wonder what one does for a water-pump job or really anything else on a Sebring in the UK...

You're in luck because Suby's should be a lot cheaper now if you can find a non-rusty one. I had an R-reg silver Impreza turbo wagon and I still miss it.

A while back I saw some metal shipping crates on CL - you might look for something like that because then you can just pack it full, lock it, and not worry about it. Some of my things got a little worked on the trip back...

Otherwise, your best bet is really the pallets and boxes. You will need piles of straps to secure everything and I still have some left over which you can have if you get to that point. One of those truck net things is seriously nice too.

Good luck! I will call a few friends over there and see if anyone has any tips. I know a friend of a friend just moved over there as well so maybe they have some tips. You're lucky, I would go back in a second - love it there. I was just there for a couple weeks, but it's not enough.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
I'll ask my old boss and PM you, we did a bunch of relocations out to the US then back again when the bubble burst.

Mike
Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Underpants Gnome

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably be PM'ing some of you when the time comes