Motorcycle school apparel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Motorcycle school apparel?

Hi all,

I have some off the wall but simple questions that need answered. How many of you have taken a motorcycle course or class? I registered for a motorcycle safety class up in Vallejo for the purpose of getting an "M" endorsement on my drivers license, and it is coming up in a week and a half. Now, what I didn't realize until they sent me a confirmation letter in the mail is that I will need to bring and wear my own full fingered leather gloves and sturdy above the ankle footwear (no tennis shoes). I am assuming they are prepared to enforce these regulations or you will forfeit the class. I don't own either of these items myself, as I have never ridden a street bike. Can I wear high top shoes or something along those lines or do I need 'special motorcycle boots?' Can I wear any full fingered leather glove (it does not list any wrist requirements), say, like a work glove? I know all this may sound ghetto, but I do not plan on buying a bike for a while and I don't want to buy a bunch of gear I won't use. I just thought it was a good idea to take the course and it'd be nice to be able to ride one down the road.

If I were to buy the motorcycle leather gloves and boots, does anyone have some extra large gloves and size 13 boots for sale? I have checked Craigslist and BARF with very little success.

Thank you,
Smitty
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Any good pair of work boots will work. You can get away w/ certain hiking shoes that have leather uppers. Get a good pair of gloves since you'll need them anyways and get a helmet you are comfortable w/. The ones they provide are usually POS.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Thanks for your input HomerJay. I will be picking up some used gloves tomorrow from a guy. I still have yet to find shoes, although I can wear my dad's if I can squeeze into his size 11 shoe. About the helmet, do they require full-face helmets for the riding, or can I cheat and use a different type?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:25 AM

Car Info: civic
you just need a pair of shoes that will cover over your ankle without showing any part of it.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:02 AM

Car Info: Audi B6 S4
you can just wear a regular long sleeved shirt (no matter how thin or thick), regular high top shoes (basketball shoes, boots, anything that covers your ankles), and any kind of full fingered gloves. some guy in my class used baseball batting gloves if u wanna be ghetto...
Old 12-10-2005, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 05 Impreza CGM
high top sneakers will do as well. Make sure you get your shoe laces inside the shoe. Many times they will catch the pegs,gear lever, brake etc.. (this is why motorcycle boots have no shoe laces (or have them covered with velcro)

Nick