Motorcycle commuters... who moves over for ya?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
I'm fortunate that I don't have to commute through that crap. But when I'm riding I'm always grateful for those that are aware to enough to see me and not take me out. Of course I move over when I'm in the car in traffic. IMO, riding a motorcycle makes you a more alert car driver too.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 2003 AW WRX - VF39
A lot of my co-workers/friends ride so I try to move over whenever I see a bike splitting lanes. Its the same thing as giving a car room to make a turn down a street or pull into a parking lot. And although lane splitting is illegal on the freeway I do not think there is any reason to hit a biker going fast on the freeway. lol.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 01 forester/08 forester
Originally Posted by hamburgl3r
A lot of my co-workers/friends ride so I try to move over whenever I see a bike splitting lanes. Its the same thing as giving a car room to make a turn down a street or pull into a parking lot. And although lane splitting is illegal on the freeway I do not think there is any reason to hit a biker going fast on the freeway. lol.
lane splitting is NOT illegal anywhere in Cal as long as it is done "in a safe and reasonable manner" Cal is the only state where it is legal, although some states do not inforce lane sharing laws.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Car Info: 2004 Hybrid WRB WRX
I move all the time to. yay for us!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
I'm not a biker, but ever since I have been working at the hospital(4.5 years now), I will ALWAYS move over for motorcyles. I have taken way too many people off the helicopters coming in as traumas from someone else not paying attention and wiping out a rider. I'd say about 80% of the motorcycle traumas that come in are not at fault, it was just someone changing lanes and not paying attention to the road. The other 20% are caused from people drinking and riding though. Either way if you see a black subi move over for you, throw the deuces up
Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Most people have figured this out, but I know there's a few out there who don't yet get it.

When the motorcycle splits traffic... it REMOVES THEM FROM TRAFFIC, THUS REDUCING TRAFFIC. For this reason, we should be happy to have the motorcycle riders split the lanes.

I think this is why cops don't pull over for doing this... or do they?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i ALWAYS move the FUUU OVER and give them a S-LOAD of space when i find myself behind one

why? cause id hate to be the one to run a rider over!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 AM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
i move over whenever i can, but sometimes i forget to check my mirrors cause i get too bored in traffic
Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Most people have figured this out, but I know there's a few out there who don't yet get it.

When the motorcycle splits traffic... it REMOVES THEM FROM TRAFFIC, THUS REDUCING TRAFFIC. For this reason, we should be happy to have the motorcycle riders split the lanes.

I think this is why cops don't pull over for doing this... or do they?
that's not why, it's not illegal so they are not breaking any laws.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Being a rider def. Made me a better driver. I took a course early on which taught me not only how to do quick mirror checks and peripheral checks, but also how to process the information you get from a quick glance. Now I know what's goin on at least 6 cars ahead , 3 cars back, and on each side. I have no probs moving over. It really kills me to see somebody doing their best to block a rider, or your typical oblivious driver who has no idea what is goin on in traffic. I find many drivers think just because they don't hit anything and drive slow, they are safe. Not true.. In my experience these drivers may never be in the wreck but will usually cause them and have zero idea.

The flip side is, the revving happens from bikers as a means to alert that they are coming through. The problem with this is the only cars which can hear it are behind the bike so the alert is too late and an annoyance. I have seen some amazing riders(I am just an amateur) and I've seen some idiots who seem to assume that they are heard on approach, and expect to be given room by default, even when they have been riding in your blind spot. Stay safe riders. If you see a mines molded psm trunk shift way over for you I'd prefer you didn't give me a peace sign.. Keep both hands on the grips and stay alert. You staying on your bike is all the thanks I need.
J
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
When I used to ride I noticed it happened all the time, now that I don't ride anymore I will always move over for other riders...
Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 AM

As much as people talk **** about them, Prius drivers move over the most for me.

I find it funny when people move way over almost in the guardrail. They really don't need to. Just slightly to the one side of the lane is fine
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by Akira-R
As much as people talk **** about them, Prius drivers move over the most for me.

I find it funny when people move way over almost in the guardrail. They really don't need to. Just slightly to the one side of the lane is fine
... and the simple act of even moving over 6 inches shows that the driver is AWARE of the bike; which is the most important thing.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
i've been doing this for years now especially if there is a vehicle next to me. get the occasional "thank you" deuce as well.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by Akira-R
i do this...

Quick Reply: Motorcycle commuters... who moves over for ya?