Modified Exhaust Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 03 Bugeye, D675, Lightning
You can refuse to pop your hood if you don't want to. But i think they will try to give you more hell. So just be calm and polite about the whole thing. Basically we should ask the officers where they would like us to kiss them on their butt.

Luck you didn't get refed. Otherwise you would need to put it all to stock.

I was once refed for my exhaust and had to put it to stock and get it measured.

My car looks completely stock now. No wing no nothing. Tiny drop. That's it.
And i have a roof rack to boot.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by tony1w
You can refuse to pop your hood if you don't want to. But i think they will try to give you more hell.
Someone tried this on a SoCal Evo forum and ended up getting the car towed, warrant issued to search it, fines for the impounding and a trip to the ref anyway. YMMV.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Update- went to CHP station ans questioned them about my ticket and asked for them to test the sound level. I was told the noise level is regardless and "any exhaust modification that is not a stock replacement is completly illegal i.e. mufflers on trucks ( i asked lol)" How does this work, just goes to show how much profiling is gonig on with import cars. **** im gonna swap my car for chevelle with straight pipes, at least then i dont have to worry about getting pulled over!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 2008 specB
that sucks Tom...Interesting you had the exhaust this long in SV and haven't been pulled over, new officer maybe? lol

Yah just get a big truck with Flowmasters, no one will bat an eyelash. Jamie had a loud-*** truck for the longest time....
Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by tom_walshaw
Update- went to CHP station ans questioned them about my ticket and asked for them to test the sound level. I was told the noise level is regardless and "any exhaust modification that is not a stock replacement is completly illegal i.e. mufflers on trucks ( i asked lol)" How does this work, just goes to show how much profiling is gonig on with import cars. **** im gonna swap my car for chevelle with straight pipes, at least then i dont have to worry about getting pulled over!
Thats bull****. Get it tested, find the VC and fight it.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
On my ticket is says non correctable. Shes basically said she would see me in court lol. Im glad she didnt check the rest of my car, but im putting the down pipe back on today and im going to take it to the CHP office and get it tested. THat way i can show up in court and prove my car is somewaht legal.
Well the CHP office won't just test it, you have to go to the state ref. But here's the kicker... I wanted to do the same thing, get my exhaust tested so that when I was pulled over, they couldn't say anything, but the people in Sacramento said that I can't go to the state ref, and wouldn't even tell me where one was UNTIL I got a ticket. So that is your only chance to get tested, after they give you a ticket.

Have fun!! And, keep us posted.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
I don't have a website to site right now, but having a NON_FACTORY exhaust isn't illegal, cause some cars are too old to get stock OEM stuff, as long as it is less then 95 DB they can't do ****. look up the citation Vehicle Code # (VC...) on google you will find the law
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM

So according to 2 other police officers it is illegal to modify your exhaust in any way other than is intended with stock parts etc. One nice officier kind of hinted that it was a bull **** law and unless your extremely loud or being a dick they wont usually pull you over for it. I asked about the legality of muffler shops etc also, and they said that most modifications they do are illegal. Funny eh, no one really has a definitive answer for me. I will keep everyone posted after my court date on the 17th June.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Oh also i asked about SPT exhausts, and they could well be deemed illegal also!! How ridiuclas.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
So according to 2 other police officers it is illegal to modify your exhaust in any way other than is intended with stock parts etc. One nice officier kind of hinted that it was a bull **** law and unless your extremely loud or being a dick they wont usually pull you over for it. I asked about the legality of muffler shops etc also, and they said that most modifications they do are illegal. Funny eh, no one really has a definitive answer for me. I will keep everyone posted after my court date on the 17th June.
I think the same applies to tinted front windows?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Search under my name a few months back I made a post on the chp 95 db outline.

What was the main reason for the stop? Was that the only thing you were cited for?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Car Info: COBB ots Stg 2, 06 STi
Wow you only got a fix it ticket for your exhaust. As a LEO you got hooked up. At least you didnt get a state ref. As for the LEO only writing you a ticket, trust me ive seen a lot worse happen when i have someone pulled over..it sucks but hey they cant just bounce, unless the community or a more pressing call comes in. And look at the vehicle code, any modifications you do to a car is illegal, hence factory specs. I would put the stock exhaust on and and get it signed off. If you put mods on make sure the CARB sticker is in plain view in the engine compartment. If you have headers it doesnt count if they cannot see the sticker I.E. stamped on them.
hope this helps

Chris
Old 05-16-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by I<3subie
Search under my name a few months back I made a post on the chp 95 db outline.

What was the main reason for the stop? Was that the only thing you were cited for?
I was just sat in traffic, doing nothing wrong. I could understand it if she saw me doing something wreckless then using the exhaust as a punishment etc.

TO reply to someones elses post its not a fix it ticket, its an irriversible ticket, but no state ref call up. Seems weired everyone i have spoke to has never heard of this kind of ticket ?
Dont you wish be had some cops on this forum (to help sort **** like this out)
Old 05-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Post the VC you were cited for.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by horsecut54
Well the CHP office won't just test it, you have to go to the state ref. But here's the kicker... I wanted to do the same thing, get my exhaust tested so that when I was pulled over, they couldn't say anything, but the people in Sacramento said that I can't go to the state ref, and wouldn't even tell me where one was UNTIL I got a ticket. So that is your only chance to get tested, after they give you a ticket.

Have fun!! And, keep us posted.
I love it when the CHP doesn't even understand their own laws. You got a good one here. They can ticket you for a loud exhaust but it is subjective so if the officer thinks its too loud he can ticket you. However they cannot ticket you for having an aftermarket exhaust. It is perfectly legal to have an aftermarket whatever as long as it looks like an exhaust and serves as one and has no holes in it.

Thinks specifically made to make your exhaust louder or alter the noise are illeagal. I.E. Glasspacks, whistlers ETC...

Search under I<3Subies profile he has posted a lot about this issue

Whoever told you at the CHP this information was wrong and it is this widespread misconception that costs people usless money.

Quick Reply: Modified Exhaust Ticket