Mitsu uses message board postings to deny recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Mitsu uses message board postings to deny recall

From clubWRX.net by John M. :

Mitsubishi is browsing 3Si.org and other 3000GT / Stealth sites and compiling a list of owners, their mods, websites, and all personal information.

This is not conjecture; this is based on documents received from Mitsubishi by someone pursuing reimbursement for their transfer case recall. They accidentally included part of a list of owner's names they'd gathered from the site.

The thread:

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/sho...hreadid=124000

So a word of advice, when replying to a thread or whatever, don't use peoples full names. I have seen it done. And who knows if Subaru is watching us.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 01-25-2003, 05:37 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
that is soooooo, crazy!
Old 01-25-2003, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
SOA would NEVER do that! Right....? Uhhh, that's correct, right?
Old 01-25-2003, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
I am sure that some SOA representative is watching the boards. I know that they used to monitor it when it was the old I-Club.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Is this a surprise? Mitsu is a business. If self-proclaimed racers trying to get warranty work done are dumb enough to have posted on the web...they deserve to get no work done.

This is a public forum open to scrutiny, people sometimes forget that. I hope Subaru keeps an eye on this board and NASIOC, solely because for every warranty claim they deny (rightfully) they have more money to spend on making well built, inexpensive cars.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Sadly, I agree with Mexicanpizza. If your mods CAUSED your problem, I don't think the manufacturer should be responsible. That being said, it's not always easy to say the mods caused the problem and in a recall (I haven't read that 3si thread yet), the mfr is admitting their part was bad, so it shouldn't really matter if you've got 9000 hp going through your car - they should fix the problem.

Joel (uhh, no one post my name, please)
Old 01-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Err, now I'm reading that thread. That paints a totally different picture. If the transfer case is poorly designed and gets no tranny fluid so the seals dry and crack and then the transfer case locks up or breaks, that doesn't seem to matter whether there was racing or not. But Mitsu looked up the guy's website and wrote him that his own website is the reason they were denying his claim.

I think they're wrong, but none-the-less, he got OWN3D big time...

I wonder if this will attach properly:

Joel
Old 01-26-2003, 04:10 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
So a word of advice, when replying to a thread or whatever, don't use peoples full names. I have seen it done. And who knows if Subaru is watching us.
Along the same lines, any attached images of owners' street-driven cars should have the license plates blanked-out in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro before posting. A readable license plate number is a sure means of identification, linking modified car to a specific owner.

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 01-26-2003, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
Along the same lines, any attached images of owners' street-driven cars should have the license plates blanked-out in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro before posting. A readable license plate number is a sure means of identification, linking modified car to a specific owner.

--
^ww^
I agree 100%. That is why any cars I take pictures of and post them on the internet all have blanked out liscence plates.

Good call Wingless.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 01-26-2003, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
If you're not racing or modding your car, and then trying to get warranty service you don't deserve, there really isn't a reason to hide your identity is there? Or am I missing something?

-=eric
Old 01-26-2003, 03:43 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by mexicanpizza
If you're not racing or modding your car, and then trying to get warranty service you don't deserve, there really isn't a reason to hide your identity is there? Or am I missing something?
That's correct, Eric. I'm assuming that a majority of i-Club members like to tinker with their cars for more performance. Others may just like to make their cars stand out from the crowd by changing headlights, wheels, etc. Would any dealer deny service work on transmission damage if the car owner had installed just an aftermarket shifter and bushings? They might, but I don't consider installing an STi or Kartboy shifter to be indicative of abuse. I'll leave it up to the discretion of each car owner on how they choose to represent their cars for service work. I would hope that each would be up front and not try to defraud the dealer who has to pay its employees for work performed. It ain't free work for the dealership.

I had my old GLHS Omni in a body shop for repairs to one door after I'd carelessly backed the car into the garage and scraped it. I didn't misrepresent the claim to my insurance company. While at the body shop, the technician was making conversation about the car and he asked if I'd ever raced the thing. I told him I tried my hand at two autocross events but wasn't willing to spend more time or money to make the car (and my driving) competitive. Later that day, the body shop guy casually mentioned our conversation to my insurance claims adjuster and I received written notice two days after that, informing me that my policy was cancelled because I was engaging in 'competition, or other form of speed contest.'

If I go to a Bay Area meet and take pictures, I would blank out the license plate numbers of all of the cars in any images I attach to i-Club messages (and any other public place). This way I don't have to worry about violating any owner's privacy, or unwittingly setting them up to be ripped off by someone who recognizes their car.

--
^ww^