Misfiring 3rd Cylinder on MY02 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 07:01 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Okay, first off I'm going to assume that you're dealing with Subaru of Santa Cruz since you said you brought it to your dealer in Santa Cruz. This means that you're dealing with Mark and Bruce who are two of the best service managers in the country. I can telll you that if they are working on the problem, you WILL be taken care of and they will try their best to provide you with a solution. Also since you have documented the problem before your warranty expired, they must fix it even after the warrantee expires IIRC.

You should be glad you are dealing with SSC because if you took your car to Stevens Creek Subaru, they would have probably told you that you must have put sugar in the gas tank and then thrown their own feces at you until you left.

Have patience, they will do their best to straighten it out and while that might not make you very happy, there isn't anything else you can expect at this point.

BTW I have no affiliation whatsoever with SSC.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Yeah, I get misfiring codes also. My friend just picked up some misfiring codes also on his car and he has about 25k on it. Do not fret, even though it says that your car is misfiring, it really is not. What is causing it is that the sensor on the car is too sensitive and Subaru is supposed to have a reflash on that in the future. I get misfiring codes on all cylinders, even when my car is at idle.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:51 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver
Yeah, I get misfiring codes also. My friend just picked up some misfiring codes also on his car and he has about 25k on it. Do not fret, even though it says that your car is misfiring, it really is not. What is causing it is that the sensor on the car is too sensitive and Subaru is supposed to have a reflash on that in the future. I get misfiring codes on all cylinders, even when my car is at idle.
How do you know your car is actually not slightly misfiring and your sensors are actually working correctly? How do you know the sky is actually blue and not green? hehe
Old 02-05-2003, 10:03 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
is it happening a lot?

I only ask because I have had exactly one CEL from a cyl 3 mis-fire - that at about 9,000 miles out of now over 67,000. It happened at low RPM and there was only a single incident on the fault log.
Really- I wouldn't sweat it, unless it's going off repeatedly, then I'd say you have cause for concern.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:34 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally posted by fil22
Happening a lot? No. First time. But that doesn't matter... my car, which is only a little over a year old, will have some glitch basically giving false readings about misfiring cylinders. How reliable is that?

...I don't like paying for malfunctions.

All I'm saying is that one false reading on an OBD II system is not that serious a malfunction.

If you consider the complxity of these systems, the huge number of operating variables that are monitored and flagged, and the nature of electrical circuits- specifically in terms of suseptability to noise and interference, it's amazing that we don't have false CEL's going off all the time.

If you get one CEL, with a reasonable log reading (like one misfire on cyl 3, -like they told you, it isn't the first time we've seen it.) and a reset makes it go away, consider yourself lucky and don't worry about it.

If it's happening a lot- then you can get worked up, but seriously, one occurance is not that big of a deal.

Be glad you don't have an M3 with their self-destructing motors, and really- if you think Subaru dealers and SOA are difficult on service issues, you should try the BMW thing.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Re: Misfiring 3rd Cylinder on MY02 WRX

Originally posted by fil22
...they said recommend the customer use 91 octane and to let the car cool for 30 seconds before shut down. Well I've been doing that already since I've had it (only has 26K on it).

OK, I see the logic in running 91 octane, but how does a cool down period have anything to do with mis firing? Am I being stupid (entirely possible)?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Originally posted by psoper
Be glad you don't have an M3 with their self-destructing motors, and really- if you think Subaru dealers and SOA are difficult on service issues, you should try the BMW thing.
Hehe, BMW tried to charge my uncle $400 to replace his battery (leased car still under warranty). Hows that for dealer service
Old 02-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 03 sedan 2nd wrx
Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver

Yeah ok!! My car had a p0302 mis in the # 2 3 months of work at Green Valley 2 cel resets at Green Valley New #2 head and full turbo and exahust system again at Green Valley and now the car is at santa cruz with a cracked #2 piston!!! cel mean something they dont go off for ****$ and giggels. But Bruce @ S.of S.C. is on the job and if things go good for us we'll be rolling a 03

lemon

peace out &good luck -Miguel

Last edited by DWNSHFT; 02-05-2003 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Misfiring 3rd Cylinder on MY02 WRX