Migraines UUHG!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Well I know the one my fiance takes, you only take it when you have a migraine. Its not an everyday pill you take everymorning to prevent getting one or anything like that
But when you have a migraine every day....
Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by danielliez
Wow, you guys have way more advice than I was thinking you would!

Paul, you are ADORABLE But seriously good article, sex makes my migraines worse so clearly I need to have more. I'll let you know if I need your assistance

There seems to be a lot of brain anuerysm-action happening around here, scary! Gibz, does the phenergan totally knock you out? I read a little bit about it and it says it can be used as a sedative/sleep aid.

Not eating def gives me a migraine so I'm pretty on top of my food consumption.
I think that stress does cause some of my migraines... the one I have rt nao started while I was taking a midterm
I really think that a lot of them start because the pillow I sleep on is a piece of crap... is that totally nuts? Because they all feel like they start in my upper back/ shoulder/ neck (like they start as back pain and then turn in to a migraine). Any of you guys experience that?

And I've been reading up on migraines and it seems that caffeine can become a trigger, so I'm cutting my caffeine consumption. I also read that people that use migraine meds too much can get rebound headaches (headache comes back every time you stop taking meds) so I'm concerned that I've reached that level and that's part of the reason I'm looking for alternatives to excederin migraine... I swear, I live on that stuff and it appears I need to stop.

I'm trying a new drug concoction suggested by you guys right now, so I'll see how that works. Thank youuuuuu!
When it comes to medicine, the Internet should never be trusted as anything more than a jumping off point for questions/conversations with a trained and competent medical professional.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
But when you have a migraine every day....
man, that's awful
Old 11-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
When it comes to medicine, the Internet should never be trusted as anything more than a jumping off point for questions/conversations with a trained and competent medical professional.
This. +1 million

That is why I haz dr appt tomorrow! Although I was checking out articles on medical databases thru my school library, so I feel like they are a little more trustworthy (written by actual medical professionals).

Also: tylenol + advil = major win!!! OMG I don't feel like dying right now
Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
good luck with the appointment tomorrow.
I get alot of sinus headaches (being on an aircraft carrier and smelling jet fumes all the time aggrivates the hell out of my sinus) so I can definitely understand your situation.

Haven't had a migraine since I was around 13 though. don't remember what the doctor thought the cause was, but they just stopped...sinus headaches suck...but I'll take them over the migraines....
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I say go to your doctor and see what they can set up for you that works best for you. Yes the phenergan can be used as a sleeping aid and nausea. Combined with other meds it helps you sleep to get rid of the migraines.

Tension in your back and shoulders can for sure lead to migraines and yes poor sleeping as in bed or pillows can add to it.

Best bet go to your doctors and see what he or she can set up for you. I know what works best for me but for me i get them all the time i would say maybe a 1 week a month i am not having migraines but the med schedule i have set up milds them enough for me to deal with day after day stuff. Best wishes to you i so feel your pain :/

also if you havent had your eyes checked recently maybe get that checked to cus eyesight can cause migraines if you are trying to focus to hard.

Wow, you guys have way more advice than I was thinking you would!

Paul, you are ADORABLE But seriously good article, sex makes my migraines worse so clearly I need to have more. I'll let you know if I need your assistance

There seems to be a lot of brain anuerysm-action happening around here, scary! Gibz, does the phenergan totally knock you out? I read a little bit about it and it says it can be used as a sedative/sleep aid.

Not eating def gives me a migraine so I'm pretty on top of my food consumption.
I think that stress does cause some of my migraines... the one I have rt nao started while I was taking a midterm
I really think that a lot of them start because the pillow I sleep on is a piece of crap... is that totally nuts? Because they all feel like they start in my upper back/ shoulder/ neck (like they start as back pain and then turn in to a migraine). Any of you guys experience that?

And I've been reading up on migraines and it seems that caffeine can become a trigger, so I'm cutting my caffeine consumption. I also read that people that use migraine meds too much can get rebound headaches (headache comes back every time you stop taking meds) so I'm concerned that I've reached that level and that's part of the reason I'm looking for alternatives to excederin migraine... I swear, I live on that stuff and it appears I need to stop.

I'm trying a new drug concoction suggested by you guys right now, so I'll see how that works. Thank youuuuuu!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
man, that's awful
srsly
Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

This. +1 million

That is why I haz dr appt tomorrow! Although I was checking out articles on medical databases thru my school library, so I feel like they are a little more trustworthy (written by actual medical professionals).

Also: tylenol + advil = major win!!! OMG I don't feel like dying right now
True that those are better than WebMD, but they are written for doctors with language for them to understand and an assumption of knowledge on the subject and medical ideology to beging with, so there is always going to be stuff missed by the general public. The danger is also that now you are insulting the doctors ego by, in his eyes, assuming he doesn't know how to do his job, requiring you to do it for him.

Oh how wonderful the medical world is.
[/rant]
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
My wife gets them more frequently than I do and I had her go to the doctor and do the whole MRI thing. Negative results so its just headaches. They prescribed her Fioricet as a pain reliever. It's great. I have to take 2 of them, but they usually work great to remove them. Also corn bags are good, since my wife made me try one when I had a headache. http://www.cornbagcritters.com/

But the best thing my wife has found to relieve constant headaches is acupuncture. She had the pills to take every day (Neurontin) and she would still get headaches, but when she started acupuncture she stopped taking them and no more headaches. But one of her triggers is stress. But it might be worth a try.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM

True that those are better than WebMD, but they are written for doctors with language for them to understand and an assumption of knowledge on the subject and medical ideology to beging with, so there is always going to be stuff missed by the general public. The danger is also that now you are insulting the doctors ego by, in his eyes, assuming he doesn't know how to do his job, requiring you to do it for him.

Oh how wonderful the medical world is.
[/rant]
Then I guess it's a good thing I double majored in Sports Medicine and Biology for two years and have a fairly good understanding of the language!
I would never dream of telling my doctor how to do his job. I will go to a doctors appt with a basic understanding of what is *possibly* happening to me, and some treatment options. I know he appreciates this because he constantly encourages me to educate myself about what is going on so we can have a productive discussion, and both parties can leave confident that we have found the best treatment option.

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
My wife gets them more frequently than I do and I had her go to the doctor and do the whole MRI thing. Negative results so its just headaches. They prescribed her Fioricet as a pain reliever. It's great. I have to take 2 of them, but they usually work great to remove them. Also corn bags are good, since my wife made me try one when I had a headache. http://www.cornbagcritters.com/

But the best thing my wife has found to relieve constant headaches is acupuncture. She had the pills to take every day (Neurontin) and she would still get headaches, but when she started acupuncture she stopped taking them and no more headaches. But one of her triggers is stress. But it might be worth a try.
I haven't heard of fioricet, but it sounds similar to excederin migraine (but with Butalbital instead of asprin). Do you find that you are really tired/ out of it after taking it? Or does it help with the pain but allow you to continue on with your day normally?
Do you use the cornbags hot or cold? Do you just apply them to your head or what? I have something similar that can be frozen or heated up, sounds like it might be worth a try.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Then I guess it's a good thing I double majored in Sports Medicine and Biology for two years and have a fairly good understanding of the language!
I would never dream of telling my doctor how to do his job. I will go to a doctors appt with a basic understanding of what is *possibly* happening to me, and some treatment options. I know he appreciates this because he constantly encourages me to educate myself about what is going on so we can have a productive discussion, and both parties can leave confident that we have found the best treatment option.
I gotta find me a diabetes doctor like that then. I didn't mean to imply that you went it telling him what to do, but they do have pretty fragile ego's and get offended easily.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
So I get migraines... A LOT. I have basically had one since Sat morning (it's now Monday evening). I was taking Excedrin Migraine, but that doesn't seem to do the trick anymore. I just took a sample of Relpax that my mom gave me, so I'll see how that works out. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow because I obviously need an effing act of god/ medical miracle in order to live a halfway normal life.

In the mean time... any of you get migraines? What do you do to make them go away? Any ideas for preventative measures?

And telling me to go take a bong rip and drink some beer is not really what I'm looking for as 1) I've tried that and 2) alcohol triggers migraines for me.

TIA
I've had migraines since I was 5, and I've been on a lot of different meds for it. ER trips are expensive, and depending on where you go, you get seen relatively fast. Migraines can be the sign of a head bleed, so they take it seriously. As a matter of fact I just had a patient the other night with the "worst migraine of her life" who popped an aneurysm and went unconscious right infront me.

Anyhow I've been to a few different docs, you definitely want to get checked out by a doctor. There's a few big worries, but they're fairly quick and easy to get checked out and disproved (or found quickly and can hopefully be helped).

Narcotics are something that a doc is going to shy away from because there are many different meds that they can try first. The downfall of narcs are that they can inhibit your ability to drive and can be addictive whereas a med like Imitrex, Zomig or Toradol (All of which I've taken and work) don't.

Main thing (as said before) is keep hydrated. Its interesting that alcohol triggers your migraines, you might be slightly hypersensitive to alcohol or something in a particular kind. Try to keep stress levels low, do some sort of physical activity each day. There's a lot of points of massage that I do to help alleviate migraines. If you massage all of your cranial sinuses (which you should know Ms double major in sports medicine and bio ) and follow with the pressure points inbetween the thumb and pointer fingers and just behind the temples.

Last edited by code3suby; 11-10-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM

Please find out the name of the dissolving one! When I get them it slows down my digestion, so if I don't take anything soon enough, the pills do nothing since they aren't being digested/absorbed.
The dissolving ones are called Zomig
Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 PM

I gotta find me a diabetes doctor like that then. I didn't mean to imply that you went it telling him what to do, but they do have pretty fragile ego's and get offended easily.
My doctor is fairly young so I think he is more open-minded than older doctors, he also is an osteopathic doctor so he is more interested in how the body is working as a whole as opposed to focusing on just the main problem. I don't know if someone like that would be a suitable diabetes doctor but it might be worth a try?
Also, both maxalt and zomig come in dissolvable tablets, zomig also comes as a nasal spray.

Originally Posted by code3suby
I've had migraines since I was 5, and I've been on a lot of different meds for it. ER trips are expensive, and depending on where you go, you get seen relatively fast. Migraines can be the sign of a head bleed, so they take it seriously. As a matter of fact I just had a patient the other night with the "worst migraine of her life" who popped an aneurysm and went unconscious right infront me.

Anyhow I've been to a few different docs, you definitely want to get checked out by a doctor. There's a few big worries, but they're fairly quick and easy to get checked out and disproved (or found quickly and can hopefully be helped).

Narcotics are something that a doc is going to shy away from because there are many different meds that they can try first. The downfall of narcs are that they can inhibit your ability to drive and can be addictive whereas a med like Imitrex, Zomig or Toradol (All of which I've taken and work) don't.

Main thing (as said before) is keep hydrated. Its interesting that alcohol triggers your migraines, you might be slightly hypersensitive to alcohol or something in a particular kind. Try to keep stress levels low, do some sort of physical activity each day. There's a lot of points of massage that I do to help alleviate migraines. If you massage all of your cranial sinuses (which you should know Ms double major in sports medicine and bio ) and follow with the pressure points inbetween the thumb and pointer fingers and just behind the temples.
This is good to know! When I was in the ER with meningitis they were taking kids with sprained wrists and housewifes who cut their thumbs before me.... MY EFFING BRAIN WAS MELTING. Because of that experience I pretty much avoid the ER unless I'm showing up at 3 AM or have chest pains/ visible blood.

I have tried the thumb/ pointer finger one and it does nothing, but I will try the sinuses and temples in conjuction and see if that works.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM

Wow, that's crazy... they should've had you locked down in isolation and in a room asap. Where was this?