Migraines UUHG!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
I knew someone who had horrible migraines and she took Imitrex prescribed by her doctor and she would take it once when she felt one coming on and it would go away. Also she was always stressed at her job and once she left, it seemed to help...
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 AM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by r8c3w1tm3
best remedy 2 extra strength tylenol+ 400-600mg of ibuprofen (Motrin)= great ****. fyi ibuprofen, is a classic non steroidal anti inflammatory drug. It has analgesic (pain-killing) properties and it blocks inflammation.

Tylenol, or acetaminophen, is an analgesic only. It decreases pain but does not have anti-inflammatory effects. The action is different from that of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs.

Thats what I use when I get a migraine, and I've used imitrex and excedrin and its garbage. My nursing teacher recommended this to me and it has worked wonders... But use on your own risk... Eat something b4 you take Ibuprofen(Motrin) because it is harsh on the stomach, and lots of water.
I'm def gonna give this a try! Thank you!

Thanks for all the other advice everyone! The water and exercise are things that I probably need to pay more attention to, so I'll try that.
Also, like I said, I am going to call the doctor when they open today to rule out the tumor/aneurysm possibility.... although other members of my family get migraines so I'm pretty sure it's just genetic.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
How's your sex life?

Too much (no such thing) or too little can lead to headaches.

Lemme know if I can be of assistance...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I feel you!! I have had migraines since I was 5 years old(now 34) and at times I will have them for 30 days or more. I get them checked every so often when my veins on my head hella pop out and can't hold anything in my stomach. My brother passed away when he was 23 from a brain aneurysm and he had chronic migraines like I have. Usually they will give me a shot of a narcotic and phenergan and a couple other meds. Like others have said keep yourself hydrated and I've learned through the years to try and relax take a nap and avoid bright lights. Migraines can be a sign for many issues and if you haven't been checked out before would be good to be seen.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
I get migraines from time to time and I have to switch back and forth between excedrin migraine and advil migraine. Ibuprofen works best for me.

What always works for me is either a couple of advil liquigells and some excedrin migraine and a nap or 4-5 Advil Migraine liqui-gells and a nap
Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
+1000 for drinking water and staying hydrated
(do you eat regularly too, sometimes when i dont eat for a long period of time i get one)

Have you been under a lot of stress with work/school?
When I was in my last office job (after 2 years of office politics and BS) i would get super stressed out and started having migraines like 2-3 times a week. Lucky for me mine dont last for days, but they are still no fun.

My fiance and mom both have perscriptions on diff pills.

My fiances disolves on her tounge and works super fast. You can take it on an empty stomach, stay awake, take a nap (seems to work better when sleeping), dont need to take it with water or anything t swallow.

I dont remember the names of the pills they take but ill deff try to ask, migraines are no joke!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by danielliez
So I get migraines... A LOT. I have basically had one since Sat morning (it's now Monday evening). I was taking Excederin Migraine, but that doesn't seem to do the trick anymore. I just took a sample of Relpax that my mom gave me, so I'll see how that works out. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow because I obviously need an effing act of god/ medical miracle in order to live a halfway normal life.

In the mean time... any of you get migraines? What do you do to make them go away? Any ideas for preventative measures?

And telling me to go take a bong rip and drink some beer is not really what I'm looking for as 1) I've tried that and 2) alcohol triggers migraines for me.

TIA
Sorry to hear.

My dad would have them, and he would pretty much advil it and just rest. I've only had them 1 time, and man, it was horrible. I had them after a short flight to Vancouver.

-Gagan
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
+1000 for drinking water and staying hydrated
(do you eat regularly too, sometimes when i dont eat for a long period of time i get one)

Have you been under a lot of stress with work/school?
When I was in my last office job (after 2 years of office politics and BS) i would get super stressed out and started having migraines like 2-3 times a week. Lucky for me mine dont last for days, but they are still no fun.

My fiance and mom both have perscriptions on diff pills.

My fiances disolves on her tounge and works super fast. You can take it on an empty stomach, stay awake, take a nap (seems to work better when sleeping), dont need to take it with water or anything t swallow.

I dont remember the names of the pills they take but ill deff try to ask, migraines are no joke!
Please find out the name of the dissolving one! When I get them it slows down my digestion, so if I don't take anything soon enough, the pills do nothing since they aren't being digested/absorbed.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Churro Aficionado

the dissolving pill is Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan banzoate) only 10mg
Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
the dissolving pill is Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan banzoate) only 10mg
Cool, I'll talk to a doctor about that next time I actually see one. Reading the site quickly reminded me of something though.

Danielle, caffeine dilates the blood vessels in your head allowing more oxygen to your brain (the cause of the migraine pain is typically lack of oxygen to the brain) so sometimes for me a large (err, Vente) coffee will finish off whatever residual pain the excedrin didn't.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Churro Aficionado

Ya caffeine does help sometimes, for me tho it usually helps more with plain headaches and not migraines. But its deff worth a shot.

Sometimes even eating some really strong mints kinda helps too
Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Oh man... I've had chronic migraines since I was 7 years old. I remember the first time I got one, I asked my grandparents to cut my head off so the pain would stop @_@. Yeah, mine are f**king awful. They did all sorts of tests on me (mri, cat scan, x-rays, blood work, etc.) and never found a reason for it. I typically get a few migraines a year and I just had one last week while on the job . The only thing that works for me guarenteed is ibuprofen (typically Motrin IB, I take 800mg) and a nap. No other type of medicine has ever stopped the symptoms completely.

In my experience, anything with caffiene actually made my migraines worse. Also, if I go too long without eating I will definitely get a migraine or at least a headache. This is just from my experience, take from it what you will.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sasco
In my experience, anything with caffiene actually made my migraines worse. Also, if I go too long without eating I will definitely get a migraine or at least a headache. This is just from my experience, take from it what you will.
I think thats why treating them is so tough, everyone's are different. Caffeine works for the majority of people, which is why it's in Excedrin Migraine, but its obviously not for everyone.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Wow, you guys have way more advice than I was thinking you would!

Paul, you are ADORABLE But seriously good article, sex makes my migraines worse so clearly I need to have more. I'll let you know if I need your assistance

There seems to be a lot of brain anuerysm-action happening around here, scary! Gibz, does the phenergan totally knock you out? I read a little bit about it and it says it can be used as a sedative/sleep aid.

Not eating def gives me a migraine so I'm pretty on top of my food consumption.
I think that stress does cause some of my migraines... the one I have rt nao started while I was taking a midterm
I really think that a lot of them start because the pillow I sleep on is a piece of crap... is that totally nuts? Because they all feel like they start in my upper back/ shoulder/ neck (like they start as back pain and then turn in to a migraine). Any of you guys experience that?

And I've been reading up on migraines and it seems that caffeine can become a trigger, so I'm cutting my caffeine consumption. I also read that people that use migraine meds too much can get rebound headaches (headache comes back every time you stop taking meds) so I'm concerned that I've reached that level and that's part of the reason I'm looking for alternatives to excederin migraine... I swear, I live on that stuff and it appears I need to stop.

I'm trying a new drug concoction suggested by you guys right now, so I'll see how that works. Thank youuuuuu!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by danielliez
Wow, you guys have way more advice than I was thinking you would!

Paul, you are ADORABLE But seriously good article, sex makes my migraines worse so clearly I need to have more. I'll let you know if I need your assistance

There seems to be a lot of brain anuerysm-action happening around here, scary! Gibz, does the phenergan totally knock you out? I read a little bit about it and it says it can be used as a sedative/sleep aid.

Not eating def gives me a migraine so I'm pretty on top of my food consumption.
I think that stress does cause some of my migraines... the one I have rt nao started while I was taking a midterm
I really think that a lot of them start because the pillow I sleep on is a piece of crap... is that totally nuts? Because they all feel like they start in my upper back/ shoulder/ neck (like they start as back pain and then turn in to a migraine). Any of you guys experience that?

And I've been reading up on migraines and it seems that caffeine can become a trigger, so I'm cutting my caffeine consumption. I also read that people that use migraine meds too much can get rebound headaches (headache comes back every time you stop taking meds) so I'm concerned that I've reached that level and that's part of the reason I'm looking for alternatives to excederin migraine... I swear, I live on that stuff and it appears I need to stop.

I'm trying a new drug concoction suggested by you guys right now, so I'll see how that works. Thank youuuuuu!
Well I know the one my fiance takes, you only take it when you have a migraine. Its not an everyday pill you take everymorning to prevent getting one or anything like that