Maybe my battery might be going dead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:45 PM

Car Info: drives a STi
Maybe my battery might be going dead?

Hey guys I noticed when I fired my suby up it felt like my car had a hesitation and it felt like it was going to die, but never did. Not to mention the battery icon came up like twice and went back off on my cluster. I still have the original stock battery and could this maybe the sign I'm in need of a new battery?

This was not the first time it happened, the first one was last week before my trip to Reno. I took the chance of going up there and hoping my car would make it and luckily my car is fine.

Anybody else have similar issues? BTW I have a 2005 wrx, I got my 60k done last month. My current ODO is about 62,xxx

Here's my mods:

Sti-up
IC hoses
SPT short ram intake
Cobb ap version 2
Stage 2 reflash ACN map
Helix catted Dp
HKS-hi power catback
Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Uhh, yes change your battery. I've never heard of a battery lasting 60k! Pretty amazing, in anycase, if that doesn't fix it, usually the Timing Belt and Shims are done around 105k, but a hard idle might be because of the shims, could be that the shims are off or something cuz of the mods. Definitely change the battery first.

Originally Posted by 05_WRex
Hey guys I noticed when I fired my suby up it felt like my car had a hesitation and it felt like it was going to die, but never did. Not to mention the battery icon came up like twice and went back off on my cluster. I still have the original stock battery and could this maybe the sign I'm in need of a new battery?

This was not the first time it happened, the first one was last week before my trip to Reno. I took the chance of going up there and hoping my car would make it and luckily my car is fine.

Anybody else have similar issues? BTW I have a 2005 wrx, I got my 60k done last month. My current ODO is about 62,xxx

Here's my mods:

Sti-up
IC hoses
SPT short ram intake
Cobb ap version 2
Stage 2 reflash ACN map
Helix catted Dp
HKS-hi power catback
Old 12-26-2009, 01:29 PM

^^^Thanks man, yeah i'm really surprised i still have the original stock battery. I'll look into tomorrow. Sorry such a noob question but, what is a "shims"?

Last edited by 05_WRex; 12-26-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
ha, my stock battery crapped out at 105k

batteries are finicky, but it definatly sounds like your battery is dead
Old 12-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Uhh, yes change your battery. I've never heard of a battery lasting 60k! Pretty amazing, in anycase, if that doesn't fix it, usually the Timing Belt and Shims are done around 105k, but a hard idle might be because of the shims, could be that the shims are off or something cuz of the mods. Definitely change the battery first.
Im at 75k on my battier.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
^^^ yeah what are the shims this guy is talking about haha
Old 12-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
I'm at about 60k with my battery. I think there's a bit of corrosion, however. I see powdery battery acid on the terminals. Changing it next week! >_<
Old 12-26-2009, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX wagon
This just happened to me also. It was the battery, I took it to Napa and had them check and it popped up replace battery right away. It had trouble turning over and didn't start a couple times. The best I could figure out about the hard idle was when the fan kicked on it was sucking a lot of juice from the alternator which made the car idle hard like the ac was on. Change the battery like everyone else says and it should clear up all your problems.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
just changed the stocker in my 05 a few months ago. same issue, a little slow to start so i replaced it. went with a duralast from autozone. made by johnson controls industries, same folks who make diehard, interstate, costco brand, and a few others.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM

I just changed out my battery today with a Bosch Premium from Pep Boys. They're offering a $20 rebate until the 31st (that's why an employee said). I was doing a little Google sleuthing and looked up the Consumer Reports top group 35 (that's our size) batteries. The list was published this past November. Bosch come up on top. Then Duralast Gold (Auto Zone), EverStart Maxx (Walmart), Kirkland, and Die Hard Gold. So if you factor in the core exchange and the $20 rebate, it comes out to about $71 after tax for the Bosch Premium I got.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by Hollandaze
I'm at about 60k with my battery. I think there's a bit of corrosion, however. I see powdery battery acid on the terminals. Changing it next week! >_<
You know that you can clean the terminals right? This is the exact reason they make dielectric grease...to prevent corrosion from forming.

In case you do not know, batteries do not perform as well in the cold. Winter is the usual time that batteries fail. Corrosion will also forms around the terminals due to atmospheric moisture, causing a failed start.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by aboothman
You know that you can clean the terminals right? This is the exact reason they make dielectric grease...to prevent corrosion from forming.

In case you do not know, batteries do not perform as well in the cold. Winter is the usual time that batteries fail. Corrosion will also forms around the terminals due to atmospheric moisture, causing a failed start.
I already bought a new battery because the old one had a crack in it and spilling a bit of acid. I've been putting off getting a new battery for months. I had the grease, wire brush, and the cleaner sitting around until I did something about it today. Haha. I forgot to mention that my battery's pretty old, pretty much past warranty for the past year or two.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 AM

Car Info: Fast
Just saying what some already know. Hopefully it will help someone out
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 AM

It was indeed my battery low due to all the hard idles and battery icon popping up on my cluster. They diagnosed the alternator and it was fine. I just got another stock battery. OEM battery's are champs, I can't complain for almost 5 yrs running.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Every one of the batteries listed above are the same that I see failing the most.
Optima red top will cost you less in the long run.