Martial Arts n00b thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Gotta be careful which Kajukenbo school you go to, just like Hawaiian Kenpo schools: some of them are no contact, "claw the air" kind of schools. Dunno how that came around considering the style's history
Yeah I am the last person to be commenting on this stuff but I was gonna say... My gf in high school (Big Island, HI brah) was really into the Hawaiian Kenpo you mention... Didn't seem to be much more than exercise really.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Gotta be careful which Kajukenbo school you go to, just like Hawaiian Kenpo schools: some of them are no contact, "claw the air" kind of schools. Dunno how that came around considering the style's history

LOL at the pedo pic

I know this Kajukembo place is legit http://tribullmma.typepad.com/

They're f'ing crazy ***** haha, they were on one episode of that Discovery Channel show Fight Quest

and +1 LOL at the pedo pic
Old 10-13-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah I am the last person to be commenting on this stuff but I was gonna say... My gf in high school (Big Island, HI brah) was really into the Hawaiian Kenpo you mention... Didn't seem to be much more than exercise really.
Well what can I say, you know Chuck Liddell's style is from Hawaiian Kenpo
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by verc
I know this Kajukembo place is legit http://tribullmma.typepad.com/

They're f'ing crazy ***** haha, they were on one episode of that Discovery Channel show Fight Quest

and +1 LOL at the pedo pic
Yeah, the Tribull guys are legit just like John Hackelman's The Pit.

Like I said, Kajukenbo and Hawaiian Kenpo were originally all hardcore, full-contact, fight dirty kinda styles, but some schools just took the name and the history and ran it into the ground until it turned into calisthenics

Last edited by Choku Dori; 10-13-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Bet she looked cool in her faded black gi though, right?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Yeah, the Tribull guys are legit just like John Hackelman's The Pit.

Like I said, Kajukenbo and Hawaiian Kenpo were originally all hardcore, full-contact, fight dirty kinda styles, but some schools just took the name and the history and ran it into the ground until it turned into calisthenics

Well for those not familiar with this style, the story goes for Kajukembo that a Karate guy, a Kung fu guy, a boxer, and a judo guy got together and tried to figure out what was the best way to kick somebody's ***.

You don't get more hardcore than that
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Well for those not familiar with this style, the story goes for Kajukembo that a Karate guy, a Kung fu guy, a boxer, and a judo guy got together and tried to figure out what was the best way to kick somebody's ***.

You don't get more hardcore than that
You forgot to mention the part where they went into the projects and beat denizens up to make sure their ideas worked

Edit: Oh snap, one of their founders, Adriano Emperado, died a few months back

Last edited by Choku Dori; 10-13-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wrb and some carbonfiber on there
No, black belts having to register their hands as lethal weapons are just an urban myth; plus kiddy black belts are just bullshido... unless the "kid" happens to be a teenager and has a black belt from a reputable school of BJJ, Judo, Kyokushin, or any one of the full contact martial arts.

Hell, a 16-year old professional Nak Muay from Thailand would probably **** me up royally even if I outweighed him by like 75 pounds

P.S. For a sec, I thought your SN was "mystery erection" Sorry! [/QUOTE]

i dunno i worked at a school for a few years and i had a couple kids who had to register their hands with the local pd....and thats what its supposed to be when you say it out loud hahahaha its a thinker
Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by mysteryrection
No, black belts having to register their hands as lethal weapons are just an urban myth; plus kiddy black belts are just bullshido... unless the "kid" happens to be a teenager and has a black belt from a reputable school of BJJ, Judo, Kyokushin, or any one of the full contact martial arts.

Actually, you have to be 18 to receive a black belt in Kyokushin and BJJ. In BJJ there is a separate belt system under 16 that leads into blue belt when you hit 16.

In Judo the belt system is messed up in America - they have a color belt system whereas in Japan you get a black belt very soon and only Dan progression matters - the black belt just means you've committed to start seriously training. And there I think you need to be 18 as well.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Car Info: .
2. Has anyone recommending BJJ actually done BJJ for a long time? I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like pain. Unless you are really just doing it for fun, you WILL get jacked up rolling. You WILL screw up a shoulder/elbow/wrist/knee at some point, because in the beginning you won't know when the tap. So yeah you can roll softly and not use all your strength, but at SOME point you will want to go aggressive, and snap! Someone will omoplata you and try to stand up without letting you go, or you will try to pull out of an armbar, you will roll the wrong way to get out of a heel hook etc. etc.

BJJ is not for the guy who just wants to get a workout. Neither is serious Muay Thai or boxing - you WILL get jacked up. Cardio kickboxing/boxing - that's fine
Creeping up on 9 years.

Yes, my body is pretty beat up, but I also train at a different pace than most people. Injuries, for the most part, are 50% on you, and 50% on your training partners. So I don't buy BJJ/MT will automatically lead to injuries. It is what you make it. If you train like a spaz you'll probably hurt yourself and others, if you understand how to control your body, you can train pretty hard and just walk away with some sore muscles.

Hell, most people who have been training for some time get more injured from white/blue belts than belts above them.

Cardio kickboxing isn't going to teach anyone how to fight. Neither will performing kata. You can't prepare to fight unless you have someone giving you real resistance.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM

That is exactly my point there - the most risk of injury in BJJ is when you're a white or a blue. Obviously training bjj/mt doesn't automatically lead to injuries, but statistically there is a high probability one will get injured. A large part of it is down to the instructor and other people at the gym, which is beyond one's control. Everybody knows not to spaz or do this and that, but there's going to be a time when it just happens...

I would say for a person in the age range of 20-30, even with great care it is almost certain injury will be sustained unless they really refrain from rolling hard. Joining a jiujitsu club filled with experienced and more elder participants is another matter of course.

And lastly, my major point was asking what the OP's purpose in martial arts was. If it's to workout he might as well do cardio kickboxing and decrease the risk of injury. And if he's just interested in martial arts in general, not specifically for self defense, there is a lot of interesting stuff in even the non/light contact martial arts like Aikido and Shotokan.

Different martial arts are for different people with different goals. A martial arts' combat applicability is only one factor in determining whether to pursue it.

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Creeping up on 9 years.

Yes, my body is pretty beat up, but I also train at a different pace than most people. Injuries, for the most part, are 50% on you, and 50% on your training partners. So I don't buy BJJ/MT will automatically lead to injuries. It is what you make it. If you train like a spaz you'll probably hurt yourself and others, if you understand how to control your body, you can train pretty hard and just walk away with some sore muscles.

Hell, most people who have been training for some time get more injured from white/blue belts than belts above them.

Cardio kickboxing isn't going to teach anyone how to fight. Neither will performing kata. You can't prepare to fight unless you have someone giving you real resistance.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
VIP Member

Actually, you have to be 18 to receive a black belt in Kyokushin and BJJ. In BJJ there is a separate belt system under 16 that leads into blue belt when you hit 16.

In Judo the belt system is messed up in America - they have a color belt system whereas in Japan you get a black belt very soon and only Dan progression matters - the black belt just means you've committed to start seriously training. And there I think you need to be 18 as well.
I trained with a 16 year-old shodan from the Kokusai Karate Renmei Kyokushin Kaikan ("International Karate Organization Kyokushin Kaikan", "IKO1", or "IKO Matsui") Honbu Dojo before, and also with a good number of high school-age yudansha from Japan in Judo (including a Kansai-area regional champion), so Kyokushin and Judo do have under-18 black belts.

Good point on BJJ and Judo though, spot on the money for the differences in belt rank between Japan and the US. Acutally, the Kodokan has a program for getting shodan in one year (you pretty much do judo all day, everyday), and do a few other legit schools in Japan (Yoshinkan Aikido, for example). In a way, most Japanese do not consider a black belt as "mastery" like many do here in the States; instead, a black belt just means that their is usable competence in all basic skills taught. For example, that's why Shodan and Nidan-ranked black belts are only "Senpai" in Kyokushin and aren't "Sensei" until Sandan and up.

And I agree wholeheartedly about gym atmosphere and the likelihood of injury sometimes not being in one's own full control.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 AM

Acutally, the Kodokan has a program for getting shodan in one year (you pretty much do judo all day, everyday)
Whoa, really? Man I gotta put that on my list of things to do before I get married, haha
Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Whoa, really? Man I gotta put that on my list of things to do before I get married, haha
Yoshinkan Aikido has a similar program, too.

And of course, I forgot to mention that the IKO1 has the "Wakajishi" and other uchideshi programs, although I think we're too old for them already
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Yoshinkan Aikido has a similar program, too.

And of course, I forgot to mention that the IKO1 has the "Wakajishi" and other uchideshi programs, although I think we're too old for them already

On a similar note, I dunno if anybody in BAIC is a Japanese MMA fan - we should put together a trip to watch DREAM some time. I'm sure somebody here speaks Japanese which will make it ultra sweet

Quick Reply: Martial Arts n00b thread.