Martial Arts n00b thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx wrb and some carbonfiber on there
Originally Posted by c32c7
Martial arts don't mean anything. I beat the crap out of some karate black belt once and didn't break a sweat. He was 11.
HAHAHAHAHA craziest part is even though kids are 11 and have blackbelts they have to register their hands with the police departments as weapons....back to the topic at hand I agree with the Muay Thai and BJJ its a legit combination you'll be able to use your entire body as a weapon as opposed to being a stand up or ground type fighter....plus they're both ridiculous workouts so itll keep you in shape (or get you there in my case hahaha)
Old 10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by c32c7
Martial arts don't mean anything. I beat the crap out of some karate black belt once and didn't break a sweat. He was 11.
Little kids don't deserve black belts in my opinion; chances are you could mop the floor with his instructor too if the kid came from one of those McDojo's that would give such a young kid a black belt in the first place

Originally Posted by mysteryrection
HAHAHAHAHA craziest part is even though kids are 11 and have blackbelts they have to register their hands with the police departments as weapons....back to the topic at hand I agree with the Muay Thai and BJJ its a legit combination you'll be able to use your entire body as a weapon as opposed to being a stand up or ground type fighter....plus they're both ridiculous workouts so itll keep you in shape (or get you there in my case hahaha)
No, black belts having to register their hands as lethal weapons are just an urban myth; plus kiddy black belts are just bullshido... unless the "kid" happens to be a teenager and has a black belt from a reputable school of BJJ, Judo, Kyokushin, or any one of the full contact martial arts.

Hell, a 16-year old professional Nak Muay from Thailand would probably **** me up royally even if I outweighed him by like 75 pounds

P.S. For a sec, I thought your SN was "mystery erection" Sorry!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by ryball
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I am in the Sacramento area.
I would take bjj. I go to capitol city bjj. http://www.capitalcitybjj.com/

The school is run my a cassio werneck black belt and the school also has a judo class 2x a week. For $100 a month, you can't beat that. Matteen's boxing in Sacramento is also good as well. I trained at Ultimate Fitness ran by Urijah Faber and didn't like it so much.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
there is a reason royce gracie won so many mma tournaments with a bjj background and if you have any knowledge about bjj, its not about strength. though bjj takedowns may not be 'exactly high caliber,' against an opponent that does not know any groundwork couldn't defend themselves.

if your worried about multiple attackers, just carry around a gun. bruce lee videos are only movies. kung fu, tkd, muy thai, none of that will help you beat multiple attackers.

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I'd suggest you reconsider your assumption there and take into account multiple attackers, cement floors, furniture and fixtures, weapons, grapplers that are stronger than you are, and people with great sprawls. Oh, and BJJ takedowns aren't exactly high caliber, a real BJJ practitioner should be aware of that by now!

Also, since when is TKD good for standup?! Although I have to admit, it IS good for looking cool

No one style is perfect, unless it's a mixed system. Use the best, forget the rest

P.S. All this posted in good fun, even though I mean it!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by woocabin
there is a reason royce gracie won so many mma tournaments with a bjj background and if you have any knowledge about bjj, its not about strength. though bjj takedowns may not be 'exactly high caliber,' against an opponent that does not know any groundwork couldn't defend themselves.

if your worried about multiple attackers, just carry around a gun. bruce lee videos are only movies. kung fu, tkd, muy thai, none of that will help you beat multiple attackers.
You have absolutely no idea how many years of training I've put into martial arts (including BJJ), do you?

Just as there is a reason that Royce Gracie has won so many MMA competitions, so there is a reason that Sakuraba Kazushi defeated him and all his brothers, and so there is a reason that Fedor Emelianenko, Lyoto Machida, Gegard Mousasi, Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, and good number of other fighters who are not full-on BJJ practitioners have dominated at one point or another in tha MMA world. Yes, BJJ is essential to a complete fighter's game, but it is NOT the end-all, be-all style that you consider it to be.

Obviously BJJ isn't about strength but all about technique, but when two competitors have approximately equal technical capability, strength often determines who wins and who loses. Furthermore, if you as a BJJ practitioner are fighting an opponent who has theoretically "no ground game", you better pray that he has no striking abilities because there is an equally good chance that he WILL rearrange your face before you get him down on the ground. And if you are indeed fighting someone with "no ground game", judo and wrestling are better bets for knocking someone out or jacking someone up with a hard takedown than BJJ. Takedowns don't win BJJ matches, but submissions.

As for multiple opponents, you're right, nothing short of a gun is going to guarantee taking on multiple opponents. However, in the absence of a weapon, I'd give the striker an advantage over the grappler when it comes to multiple assailants: as a striker, you learn to take people out while staying on your feet, while as a BJJ player, you can nothing until you are on the ground, and while you're pulling someone's arm out of their socket, his buddies will give you the boot party.

Furthermore, I agree with you that Bruce Lee was just an actor. There are many stories from SF Chinatown about him losing fights back in the day, and if you take the time to talk to your elders, you would have heard them by now.

If you really want to grow to be a good fighter, I'd suggest having a more open mind about martial arts and the realities of hand-to-hand combat. Mental flexibility will help your BJJ game immensely, too. BJJ is great, but it's not the greatest style in the world. BJJ alone will not make you some sort of fighting god, simple as that.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
If you really want to grow to be a good fighter, I'd suggest having a more open mind about martial arts and the realities of hand-to-hand combat. Mental flexibility will help your BJJ game immensely, too. BJJ is great, but it's not the greatest style in the world. BJJ alone will not make you some sort of fighting god, simple as that.
I agree 100%. BJJ is a thinking man's game. If you can't think outside the box and at the same time know your own limitations, you won't get far. I would bet that Woocabin is probably a BJJ white belt/novice. He certainly has the mentality. He will learn BJJ is not the be all end all martial art...eventually.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Based on the first post I'd recommend considering :

1. Japanese Jujitsu - They are all Kodenkan style, lots like Judo, except no competition. I did it for a few years in college, learn stuff the first day like the hand arts, how to fall, how to flip, massage etc.

2. Kendo - Japanese Sword fighting, there is competition for advancement once a year, but that's about it. Excellent exercise. Do sparring as you advance, but lots of exercises based on custom.

3. Akido - movements, but ... sleepy IMHO, I got bored. No competition or sparring where I went. If you have a physical handicap (missing a body part, too fat, to skinny, one long arm, one short leg, etc.), it can be a tremendous aid. The master I knew had lost a hand below the elbow, I didn't even know it for a couple of weeks because she moved so normally all of the time.

4. Krave Maga - this is kind of fun, but pretty intense...work as hard as you like. Try a class in this if you are interested, it's kind of fun, the master I studied with worked us hard. ULTIMATE self defense.

5. Tae Kwon Do - mostly footwork, sparring, go to a USTU school if you can find one (the Olympic style school). Good exercise, DO NOT have to compete until you make poom belt (4 years after you start), but some sparring for adults in every class. This is one of the most fun and inclusive arts I studied. Everyone belongs.

Most everything else is very competition based. I would say the best exercise is Kendo and Krave Maga and Tae Kwon Do.

I've taken a few other styles too, but they all focus on competition and you are trying to avoid that.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by ryball
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I am in the Sacramento area.
There is an excellent and affordable Kendo club in the Sacramento area!

haha, they are a fun group...except the almost DAN...ugh, him I could do without, oh well, got one in every group.

http://www.sacramentokendo.org/
Old 10-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
This is directed to the people in this thread, not the OP:

1. Why the hell are you going to go and fight a bunch of people? 99.99% of people out there don't really know how to fight well, and get along their lives just fine. So why are you any different?

2. Has anyone recommending BJJ actually done BJJ for a long time? I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like pain. Unless you are really just doing it for fun, you WILL get jacked up rolling. You WILL screw up a shoulder/elbow/wrist/knee at some point, because in the beginning you won't know when the tap. So yeah you can roll softly and not use all your strength, but at SOME point you will want to go aggressive, and snap! Someone will omoplata you and try to stand up without letting you go, or you will try to pull out of an armbar, you will roll the wrong way to get out of a heel hook etc. etc.

BJJ is not for the guy who just wants to get a workout. Neither is serious Muay Thai or boxing - you WILL get jacked up. Cardio kickboxing/boxing - that's fine

3. Krav Maga - I don't believe in it. When the Gracies landed in LA they went around challenging people who tried to EYEPOKE them, GROIN shot them, FISH HOOK them. But their bjj still kicked everybody's asses despite their opponents' attempts to fight dirty. What does that tell you about so-called "reality based" martial arts?

So now addressing the OP:

If you want to get in shape and workout, join a boxing gym or kickboxing place and do the workouts

If you want to get into self defense but casual, not too serious, BJJ all the way. Because if you do boxing/Muay Thai without hardcore sparring, going at 100% and learning to defend against a guy trying to take your head off, it's not entirely useless, but will take many years for self defense imho Why BJJ? Because you can spar at 100% with (comparitively) less risk, compared to these so-called self defense arts where you don't spar. If you don't spar, HOW DO YOU KNOW IT REALLY WORKS AGAINST A DETERMINED ATTACKER REALLY TRYING TO HURT YOU?

If you want to get bang for the buck self defense because you don't want to be carrying around a gun, buy pepper spray. Pepper spray > training hardcore for years

But if one day you wanna be hardcore, yeah man. Boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling and BJJ all the way.... wait a minute, that's MMA.

And on that note, a rant on so-called "MMA" gyms: The more tapout tshirts you see, the less these people actually know how to fight (unless they're fighters actually sponsered by Tapout, haha)

Last edited by verc; 10-11-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
I don't know if anyone has said it.. as I only read your post.. but

Kajukenbo all the way. This defines practical.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcU_KqwAL98

Watch this series.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Car Info: 2006 Limited WRX (totalled), black EVO IX
krav is probably the best for getting inshape and self-defense. I personally these days train doing Muay thai and jiujitsu cause its currently more convienent for me- jiu jitsu is pretty fun despite the fact that its more popular amongst the boys.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 AM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
If the OP is seriously interested in Judo and Aikido, I would recommend Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. It is a soft martial art and has a nice blend of Judo and Aikido. There is one school that I found in Sacramento. I don't know this school personally. http://www.nemurikuma.com/
Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by Ddraig
If the OP is seriously interested in Judo and Aikido, I would recommend Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. It is a soft martial art and has a nice blend of Judo and Aikido. There is one school that I found in Sacramento. I don't know this school personally. http://www.nemurikuma.com/
They need to get rid of their pedo pic on their page.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob

Watch this series.
~5:50 on vid 4/5 there is a WRX wagon.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Rob

Watch this series.
Gotta be careful which Kajukenbo school you go to, just like Hawaiian Kenpo schools: some of them are no contact, "claw the air" kind of schools. Dunno how that came around considering the style's history

Originally Posted by Ddraig
LOL at the pedo pic

Quick Reply: Martial Arts n00b thread.