Martial Arts n00b thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
I don't know why you think most people get into it to compete. Most people I know don't compete.

Anyway, it depends on what you value. Me, I don't think any one style is the answer. If you want a complete 'game', you have to train in multiple styles. I'd do Thai boxing or American boxing for the striking and BJJ for the ground. Train takedowns a few times a week at BJJ and you'll be golden for almost any encounter in the street.
That's the best thing, since BJJ doesnt have much stand up ( hence the takedowns ) and Muay Thai has no ground game. This is exactly what I wanna do, mix up my Muay Thai with BJJ and maybe throw in some Judo as well.
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Subscribed.. Good info. Suggest anything near San Carlos?
B Street Boxing in San Mateo. Instrutors
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I am in the Sacramento area.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Judo: it's what I'm doing now (to supplement my Muay Thai base), and I can say it really depends on which dojo you go to in terms of competition-orientation. A lot of the CENCO (Central Coast Judo Association) schools are into competition, while the Hokka Yudanshakai (Nor Cal Black Belts' Association) are more about traditional ***-kicking judo. In other words, some schools teach judo as a sport, and others teach it as a martial art. What I can say is this, though: any of those schools will get you mentally and physically tough, plus you'll learn at least a little bit of ground and submission no matter what school you're at in addition to the standing grappling, and most dojos are pretty inexpensive.

Aikido: it takes too long to be effective in it, and even when you are effective in it, there are too many things that the style does not take into consideration IMHO. Further, if you do take it up, I'd suggest finding a "hard style" school like Yoshinkan; they're all about jacking people up and less about spiritual lovey-dovey dancing around crap.

Boxing: cheap, simple, effective. If you want to get good at it, though, just prepared to get hit in the face... A LOT. Plus, you don't have to compete if you don't want to; it's rare for a gym to force you to.

Muay Thai: SUPER effective, SUPER good workout, probably the best stand up in the world. Problems? SUPER expensive, large amounts of SUPER douchebags taking classes and trying to act tough, and LOTS of bullshido schools popping up now since it's the new flavor of the week. Plus, it can be tough on the body if you don't have good gym mates (refer back to my comment about lots of meatheads doing it). If you do choose to do Muay Thai, try to find a school that has a Thai instructor who can back up his credentials, hopefully either a Lumpini or Rajadmnern stadium championship belt (or both).
Yeah, this is one of the things I am worried about with Muay Thai. The places I have looked at in my area have picks of a bunch of meathead members. Both of the places look good and have good reviews... but...

Might I suggest a style that you haven't considered?
Why not try full contact knockdown karate? Great workout, effective striking, few meatheads, not too expensive, and no need to worry about getting your face rearranged by punches and elbows (just kicks and knees haha). Only problem might be finding a dojo.

Where in the Bay are you located? So I can suggest some dojo's.
All great info, thanks! I will take a look at karate. Off to do more research.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I did the Martial arts thing when I was younger...now that I am older I am better using my Gun-Fu...

For my gun-fu is strong and can drop you at 50 feet away before you get close enough to use your kung-fu on me.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 AM
VIP Member

Might I suggest a style that you haven't considered?
Why not try full contact knockdown karate? Great workout, effective striking, few meatheads, not too expensive, and no need to worry about getting your face rearranged by punches and elbows (just kicks and knees haha). Only problem might be finding a dojo.
Is there a "style" of karate should I be looking at?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Overbear
I did the Martial arts thing when I was younger...now that I am older I am better using my Gun-Fu...

For my gun-fu is strong and can drop you at 50 feet away before you get close enough to use your kung-fu on me.
This would be to supplement my Gun-Fu.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
rau
Something Custom

Originally Posted by ryball
Kyokujin or Shotokan?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by ryball
Kyokushin, Enshin, World Oyama, and Ashihara are the big four in the States when it comes to full contact knockdown style.
I found this Kyokushin Dojo that may be of interest:
http://www.schoolofthetiger.com/
They're affiliated with the AKKO (American Kyokushin Karate Organization), so there are no more ties with the Kyokushin org's in Japan, but I don't know if that matters to you. Further, I've heard that they're more kata-oriented than kumite-oriented as with the Japanese org's, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Best thing to do would be to drop by to watch a practice sometime

Keep in mind, Kyokushin should look something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmolytJJlBM

As for shotokan, 99% of the shotokan dojo's out there train point sparring instead of full contact, so the only things you'll get out of there are speed and (possibly) accuracy. The cons? The inability to know what a hit feels like (whether you're giving or receiving), the inability to get the feel of the pace of a full contact fight (which most fights are when rules are minimized), and the bad habit of keeping your hands at your hips. Plus, there are a lot of Shotokan McDojo's out there

Last edited by Choku Dori; 10-09-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
If you wan't to meet a girl like Marla I would recommend rex-kwondo....

http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=558
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
the most practical martial art is bjj. tkd, muy thai, boxing are all great for stand up, but if you get takent down, you wont be able to defend yourself. compared to if you practice bjj, you can just take ppl down and take control.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 PM
rau
Something Custom

Originally Posted by woocabin
the most practical martial art is bjj. tkd, muy thai, boxing are all great for stand up, but if you get takent down, you wont be able to defend yourself. compared to if you practice bjj, you can just take ppl down and take control.
and what if your fight is all stand up and all you know is bjj? and somehow you cant take him down? where's the practicality in that?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Originally Posted by rau
and what if your fight is all stand up and all you know is bjj? and somehow you cant take him down? where's the practicality in that?
if you take bjj, you learn two main things. 1: Take downs, 2: control/submissions on ground

if you learn bjj and cant take down, thats like learning boxing and not knowing how to use your left jab
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by woocabin
I'd suggest you reconsider your assumption there and take into account multiple attackers, cement floors, furniture and fixtures, weapons, grapplers that are stronger than you are, and people with great sprawls. Oh, and BJJ takedowns aren't exactly high caliber, a real BJJ practitioner should be aware of that by now!

Also, since when is TKD good for standup?! Although I have to admit, it IS good for looking cool

No one style is perfect, unless it's a mixed system. Use the best, forget the rest

P.S. All this posted in good fun, even though I mean it!

Last edited by Choku Dori; 10-10-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 AM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Martial arts don't mean anything. I beat the crap out of some karate black belt once and didn't break a sweat. He was 11.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:13 AM
rau
Something Custom

I'd suggest you reconsider your assumption there and take into account multiple attackers, cement floors, furniture and fixtures, weapons, grapplers that are stronger than you are, and people with great sprawls. Oh, and BJJ takedowns aren't exactly high caliber, a real BJJ practitioner should be aware of that by now!

Also, since when is TKD good for standup?! Although I have to admit, it IS good for looking cool

No one style is perfect, unless it's a mixed system. Use the best, forget the rest

P.S. All this posted in good fun, even though I mean it!
this is what I meant to say lol

Quick Reply: Martial Arts n00b thread.