Martial Arts for kids

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 PM

Car Info: WRX
see if he wants to take a Judo class.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
Originally Posted by Racenut
He's 12. And he's just small for his age. He used to race BMX, was state champ at 6 and placed in 2nd or 3rd in the state for 5 years. He's an excellent rider, but the other kids just got bigger and bigger, mind you they race by age class, so this is other 12 year olds. If they raced by weight like they wrestle by weight, he'd seriously be a world class rider. But they don't.... Maybe he'll have a growth spurt at some point, but there's nothing I can do about that.

Also, he quit racing BMX because he didn't want to do it anymore. I'm not going to force him to do something he doesn't want to do. He's gotta do it for himself or it means nothing. But he's not going to introduce himself to martial arts, I need to take him and let him explore it and see if it's something he wants to do. I'm not looking to turn my kid into the next MMA superstar and ride on his coat tails to fame and fortune, if I wanted to do that I'd make him play golf

Again, thank you all for the feedback.
dude.... i fergot u race occasionally...

this is the your chance to get ur son a GO kart.. and run kiddy cart class , you said hes really light too haha

family thing to do also , might be a huge advtange with experience in bmx racing and the adrenaline rush.. hes use to it..
Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 AM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Yeah, we've looked at that. Even took him to test drive a quarter midget. He actually did very well and loved it. Basically it's trying to justify spending that kind of money right now. Of course if you know someone looking to buy a few BMX race bikes, I might be able to raise some funds
Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Try the Watsonville Judo Club
http://www.hokkajudo.org/hokkaclubs.html (scroll down to Watsonville)

I'd argue that judo is the best for kids for a number of reasons:
1.) It's a "traditional" martial art, meaning it instills a sense of conflict-avoidance and respect in children (in other words, no post-"Ultimate Fighter" MMA fan douchebaggery on the judo tatami!)
2.) It's an Olympic sport -- your child will have strong role models and a lofty goal to aspire towards in his practice
3.) It's street effective without seeming "violent" -- judo teaches HIGHLY effective and destructive takedowns, as well as competent ground fighting without any of the "violent" looking strikes and ground and pound of MMA. So if your son were to ever defend himself, witnesses would say his assailant just fell down and your son pinned him in self-defense (the reality? A good judo throw can knock someone out or break bones if done properly, but it just looks like the other guy "landed wrong" to the untrained eye)
4.) Less chance of injury -- Judo is a full contact martial art but has lower probably of injury since strikes are disallowed. Full contact martial arts train a practitioner in circumstances more similar to a real fight, and thus allow some degree of preparation for the real thing.
5.) Judo is a great base -- it covers 2 of 3 fighting ranges: takedowns and groundfighting. If your son ever transitions into MMA, all he needs is striking training to be a complete fighter (plus, judo's pins are great foundations for developing a devastating ground and pound game)
6.) Judo starts on its feet -- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners say 95% of fights hit the ground, but keep in mind that just about 100% of fights start on their feet! Judo gives you the tools to defend yourself on your feet and improves your chances of staying on your feet, which is infinitely safer in a street fight (wherein going to the ground is only a last ditch effort due to the possibility of multiple assailants, environmental hazards, etc.)
7.) Judo makes you strong as an ox -- Your son WILL get big playing judo, guaranteed.
8.) Judo is fun -- What male doesn't like "rasslin'" with their buddies, right?
9.) Judo is cheap -- At least cheaper than Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which is the "in" thing now
10.) Judo is highly regulated -- Less chance of training under some charlatan instructor since judo is a highly regulated sport with its own federations and certification processes

I would recommend AGAINST signing your son up for MMA and Muay Thai since these two martial arts are VERY high risk due to their high impact nature and also due to many douchebag tough guy wannabe's signing up for these styles.

Just a little background on me: my backbone styles are Muay Thai for striking and judo for grappling (takedowns and groundfighting). I've also trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Kyokushin karate (a full contact, bare knuckle karate style), and dabbled in Tai Chi (Chen-style) and MMA. I'm just coming back from a rest period due to injury and will likely join Enshin Karate after the New Year.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 98 RS, 69 camaro, 02 wrx
Go with Rex Kwon Do
Old 12-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Car Info: sti 2009
This is what you are looking for

Originally Posted by Racenut
I know there are at least a few of you here who are into various forms of martial arts. I'm not, so I'm asking for a little advice to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking into getting my son into some sort of program. He went from BMX Champion to scrawny video game addict. He's small as it is, but playing video games isn't helping. He's about 4'6" and 70 pounds soaking wet.

I'm looking for something to help instill a sense of discipline and fitness and since he's small for his age having some tools to defend himself wouldn't hurt either.

We're in Watsonville, so would want to look for a place fairly nearby, no further than Santa Cruz. Any suggestions?
It depends on how old your son is and what you want him to benefit from taking martial art classes.

I am a big fan of MMA, however it is not the best system to start a child off with. I run three martial art schools (Tae Kwon Do) and usually parents want the following for their children: Self-Confidence, Discipline, Respect, An "I Can Attitude" and Self-Defense. These qualities are important for a child to build a strong foundation to succeed in other areas of their life such as home, school, martial arts and hopefully BMX biking.

First build his character and then teach him how to fight. Regardless of his size, this should be the steps that you take to develop your son. You can check my website www.maakarate.com

I've listed a couple of possible locations you can visit near your area. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.

Watsonville Taekwondo Academy
978 E Lake Ave
Watsonville, CA 95076
(831) 722-0963

American Tae Kwon DO
117 E Lake Ave
Watsonville, CA 95076
(831) 728-4568
Old 12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Name:  CobraKai-fistBIG.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: e39
hahah^^^ nice i'm actually thinking of signing up my kids as well but they are still to young I think. I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old. My wifes aunt and uncle runs a studio that my wife went to as a kid, but from what my wifes family has told me it will take a lot of dedication from the parents as well since I gotta take them to practice and competitions. Anyone else here have experience taking there kids to these kind of things?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Originally Posted by tamashi523
Anyone else here have experience taking there kids to these kind of things?
Yeah been there done that too...

BMX was minimum 3 days a week, then we ended up running the track so not going was not an option. Also had national evens a few times a year. I'll be happy if we can find something here in town.