Martial Arts for kids

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by fizay
wocabin brings up a good point, though like dirty lyrics and sexual explicitness, it's the parents themselves, in the end, that is tasked with duty of teaching kids right from wrong. Though I will say the "bad" mma guys with the excessive bro-ness are the worse of the worse. like west coast's version of guidos, except with roid rage
Funny you mention that, because those types of clowns are real common in Socal. You hang out at the bars enough and you'll see tons of these wannabe MMA douchebag bros walking around, flexing and mean mugging people while sporting an Affliction T-shirt that's 2 sizes too small.

Ridiculous how guys who take a couple of BJJ or MMA classes automatically think they're some hot **** MMA cage fighter now. Sometimes it takes getting KTFO and losing some teeth on the sidewalk to snap them back into reality.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
true dat^^^^
Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Car Info: vtak mota
Originally Posted by Lurk
Funny you mention that, because those types of clowns are real common in Socal. You hang out at the bars enough and you'll see tons of these wannabe MMA douchebag bros walking around, flexing and mean mugging people while sporting an Affliction T-shirt that's 2 sizes too small.

Ridiculous how guys who take a couple of BJJ or MMA classes automatically think they're some hot **** MMA cage fighter now. Sometimes it takes getting KTFO and losing some teeth on the sidewalk to snap them back into reality.
+1

its pretty common here in san jose too, i mean with all the hype and competition fighters that are coming out of here and train here now... the douches that train in the same gym as these guys think they are hot shyt and that they are on the same level as the guys we see on tv
Old 12-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx granny wagon
^ +1 but hey there just need a nice whoopin tho bring them and there egos down to earth
Old 12-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Somehow I just don't see my kid turning into one of those. I'm just trying to find something to get him up off his video game playing ***.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 PM

^^^+1 for you...i have a 2 lil bros who come with me to my classes...they both are pretty small for there age..its good for them to have some self defence, life is hard. Take him to kugtar..they will get him in shape, he will love it, make real good friends who will motivate him. You never know, you might get into the classes, they give you your first class free, take him and try it out it free, like that you know if he likes it!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:47 PM

Car Info: .
I like when those 'MMA guys' come in and train for the first time and get tooled by a 160 pound white belt.

Anyway, I'd recommend a good kids BJJ class. Theres a guy who trains up here in SF with us who has his own school in SC: http://eltechnico.com/. His name is Paul and he is legit, I don't know if he has a kids class, but I'm sure he can recommend someone down there.

Also, push him into wrestling when the time comes and maybe some boxing/muay thai. Thats all you really need, MMA isn't a style, its just a culmination of those 3 basically.

Respect is largely taught at home, and once he realizes he has an advantage on kids he'll be less likely to use it. Its usually the insecure who run around trying to pick fights.

Edit: Watch out for those video games, my younger cousin was one of the first generations to not know what life was like before the internet and she is screwed. She is socially retarded and can not interact with other people unless there is a monitor and keyboard in front of her. Even if he doesn't take to the martial arts, just let him pick a sport that gets him out of the house and actually socializing with other kids. Thats paramount.

Last edited by Spoolin415; 12-21-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Lol, how old is your kid exactly? His physique definitely depends on his age. If he hasn't had a growth spurt yet, or he's just short/small genetically, there's not much you can do about it now that's he young. He might have a crazy growth spurt.

I think Martial Arts is good, but if you can get him to pick up a sport he enjoys would be easier. Forcing him to do something he doesn't enjoy won't solve the problem. Does his school have soccer, basketball, baseball, swimming, etc? I would gear him towards sports where he can go anytime with his friends to play like basketball, soccer, tennis, baseball rather than swimming, running, etc.

Or you can just take away his video games like what my uncle does to his kids. Just cut it back to only an hour or two.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Also for self defense, it's good to have the skills, but better to learn how to avoid situations where he should need his self defense moves. I guess on the playgrounds, it won't happen but in real life, one could pull out a knife or gun. Better to stay away from that kinda mentality that he can defend himself against anything.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Kugtar has a special class for BJJ for lil kids, its sick wen you see all these elementry school kids submitting them selfs...they have lil tournaments for the lil ones..they are ***en bad..
Old 12-21-2008, 02:00 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by BoxerRumble
Also for self defense, it's good to have the skills, but better to learn how to avoid situations where he should need his self defense moves. I guess on the playgrounds, it won't happen but in real life, one could pull out a knife or gun. Better to stay away from that kinda mentality that he can defend himself against anything.
I think 90% of the people I know would rather avoid a fight than fight, usually because they're levelheaded enough to realize they can get in a lot of trouble for hurting someone and simply because it isn't worth it. There will always be that Billy Badass type who will look to fight regardless of what they know or do not know.

Again, a lot of this is taught at home.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeIQg...eature=related

this will be your lil boy!!! haha
Old 12-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx granny wagon
^+1 yup true but what i think he is looking for his son is a good place where he is active and gets great motivation in doing anything he take apart of and i think martial arts like tang soo do, tae kwon do and brazillain jui jitsu is the way to go. My best sugestion to you racenut and your son is go try out the free classes different studios in your area are giving out like kugtar, extreme martial arts to name a few
Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Originally Posted by BoxerRumble
Lol, how old is your kid exactly? His physique definitely depends on his age. If he hasn't had a growth spurt yet, or he's just short/small genetically, there's not much you can do about it now that's he young. He might have a crazy growth spurt.
He's 12. And he's just small for his age. He used to race BMX, was state champ at 6 and placed in 2nd or 3rd in the state for 5 years. He's an excellent rider, but the other kids just got bigger and bigger, mind you they race by age class, so this is other 12 year olds. If they raced by weight like they wrestle by weight, he'd seriously be a world class rider. But they don't.... Maybe he'll have a growth spurt at some point, but there's nothing I can do about that.

Also, he quit racing BMX because he didn't want to do it anymore. I'm not going to force him to do something he doesn't want to do. He's gotta do it for himself or it means nothing. But he's not going to introduce himself to martial arts, I need to take him and let him explore it and see if it's something he wants to do. I'm not looking to turn my kid into the next MMA superstar and ride on his coat tails to fame and fortune, if I wanted to do that I'd make him play golf

Again, thank you all for the feedback.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
why fighting? even bjj though is selfdefense is fighting. i would push him toward soccer or basketball? something not violent. it wont hurt if he shows off his dribbling skills but when he shows off his punching kicking and takedown skills, it could get ugly.

Quick Reply: Martial Arts for kids