Managers! I need suggestions on Positive Reinforcement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Managers! I need suggestions on Positive Reinforcement!

Hey everyone,

I am working a group project for a management class. My group chose the topic of "Positive Reinforcement increases productivity". Now we need to argue the "How".

Our professor made sure to tell us not to focus purely on incentives.

I am thinking...

-Incentives - ex. Monetary, promotional, parking space, vacations, etc
-Verbal Encouragement - ex. "Hey Jon, you are doing a great job."
-Specific Verbal Encouragement - ex. "Hey Jon, I wanted to thank you for helping increase customer satisfaction by 20% this month. Great work!"
-Employee bonding/outings - ex. Company picnics, theme parks, softball teams, etc
-Creative input - ex. Giving employees the opportunity to respectfully give suggestions to their managers and colleagues on work related topics.

Any suggestions would be helpful and are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Eh you covered most of it, people like choices. So always give them a chance to have a choice on doing something... whether it's certain office chair, or a new schedule adjustment, always have choices so the worker still gets some empowerment.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM

That's a good concept. I'll definitely use that.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Car Info: Legs.
I think you pretty much covered it... perhaps you could include "recognition/acknowledgement"... like an employee of the month program. Or, "if you manage to not completely screw the pooch on this, you get to keep your job and pay your bills"?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by iiiezekieliii
I think you pretty much covered it... perhaps you could include "recognition/acknowledgement"... like an employee of the month program. Or, "if you manage to not completely screw the pooch on this, you get to keep your job and pay your bills"?
Employee of the month will be covered because it is positive reinforcement.

But...

The latter is negative reinforcement. haha Trust me. Negative reinforcement can increase productivity in a "positive" direction, but we are not covering that aspect. Trust me. My father is the king of negative reinforcements, which is probably why I am such a cynical *******.

Last edited by Turbo Rob; 04-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 335i & S1000RR
Accountability is also an important part of positive reinforcement. Employees who are working hard need to be recognized. However, in my experience it's equally important for team morale to see those not pulling their weight held accountable. Do you want to work your *** off for a pat on the back and a small bonus, when the guy next to you gets away with doing a terrible job?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX PSM WAAGONE & 1967 vee dub squareback
What our company does is give a gift card to redeem online in our store. There are different tiers of prizes if you will, a thank you card is included that is personalized with a name and brief comment. The gifts or prizes arent expensive but a great gesture.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Presentation of positive reinforcement is also important. Being sincere and truthful (tactfully of course) works much better than perception from the employees that you're just going through the motions. Also, having your employee's back when something goes wrong (within reason) shows that you appreciate them as part of the company.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
I cannot overstate how important it is as a manager to empower your people (I swear to god that's the last manager term I'lll use) - if someone comes up with a good idea, or something that will help the team or company, let them run with it when you can, get behind them to offer support both publicly and privately wherever possible, and most importantly, socialize their successes and share feedback when something doesn't work - every interaction, project, or plan can provide education to the employee and the team, even if it fails - that's learning from real-world examples. It's amazing how much people are capable of doing if you give them a chance to explore - anything dealing with customers or other teams regularly can be aggravating on its best day, and you need something you're at least somewhat passionate about to drive you to come in each day and put in effort to make things better.

Really when it comes to positive reinforcement, you have to make it clear to your people, not by words but by example, that your job is to help them do their best, not the other way around. If someone has a good idea, share it, and always make sure credit goes where it's deserved - nothing stifles creativity and development faster than someone toiling in the dark or seeing someone else take credit for their ideas or efforts. Thank your guys for the work they put in - do not take people or their efforts for granted. As mentioned, the "you should be happy to have a job" is a poisonous attitude that will do nothing but drop someone to complete apathy about their job or company. I let my guys know, regularly, that I appreciate what they're doing, day in and day out, to help the team and business, because it's on their shoulders that the weight of the world lies. Forget that, or fail to recognize it, and your most valuable people will be out the door.

FWIW (and totally an offtopic rant), I absolutely despise manager/newspeak and buzzwords - managers would do well to avoid using them when speaking to anyone they'd like to respect their opinion. I cringe when I see or hear those words, and it makes me question someone's ability to communicate effectively to audiences of varying technical or administrative levels when their speech is peppered with them. Maybe that's because I work with geeks and identify myself that way - we have an entire English language to use without making up bull**** words.

I won't dive in too much further - I try to keep I-club and work separate since I have a ton of i-clubbers in my office and a number of them report to me.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
From being in the military and learning from my great leaders and bad leaders, I have figured out that leadership is EARNED and not learned. So any college course you take and any points you take away from this class will just make you another manager, but not a leader. If you just want to be a manager all you have to do is just follow the direction of higher to the T and your golden....

My favorite leaders in my life were guys who were right next to you trying to solve a problem like it was their own...
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
Any suggestions would be helpful and are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Like Sybir mentioned, you want to let people have the freedom to exercise their strengths. There's nothing wrong with appropriate status reports from them, but micromanaging is counter productive.

Here's a quote I've heard, "you want to hire smart people, and then give them freedom to do amazing things"

Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
-Incentives - ex. Monetary, promotional, parking space, vacations, etc
-Verbal Encouragement - ex. "Hey Jon, you are doing a great job."
-Specific Verbal Encouragement - ex. "Hey Jon, I wanted to thank you for helping increase customer satisfaction by 20% this month. Great work!"
-Employee bonding/outings - ex. Company picnics, theme parks, softball teams, etc
-Creative input - ex. Giving employees the opportunity to respectfully give suggestions to their managers and colleagues on work related topics.
You really need a combination of all these things, done appropriately. You can't always do incentives and you can't always to outings, etc. RESPECT your people and the positive reinforcement comes naturally. You can't force yourself to give positive comments because it will be obvious that it's fake. However, as the opportunities arise, don't miss the opportunity to drop a positive comment. And when bonus time comes around, don't miss the opportunity to make your case for your own people to get rewarded.

The other thing is to listen... make sure you know what their goals are and don't miss the opportunity to give them the chance to meet their goals. For example, in my job I felt me best skills were not being utilized and I wanted to get on the new projects. My director explained he understood my interest, that currently he did not want to drop the ball on the current product I was supported, but he made sure (and gave an approximate timeline) when the next project would come in. When that project finally came in, he made sure that there was no question that I was going to be one of the early one's moved to it.

Respect your people, and they (usually) will respect you back and work with you under the circumstances.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
You may want to check out "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. He discusses the effectiveness of various methods of persuasion, including the acknowledgement and encouragement of good work.

Also, if you want to debunk the use of punishment for bad behavior, you could cite the study done in the israeli air force. I read about it in "The Drunkard's Walk" by Mark Mlodnow. Here is a brief (and somewhat poor) summary of that study:

The author, Leonard Mlodinow, recounts a story about flight instructors for the Israeli air force. At a lecture where a speaker was highlighting the benefits of rewards over punishment for modifying the behavior of the instructors' students, the flight instructors unanimously disagreed. They said their experience was that if they praised a student for well-executed maneuvers, the next time they did worse. But if they yelled and screamed at them when they did poorly they almost always did better the next time.

Boy - if I had nickel for every time a client told me a similar thing I'd be retired in Bimini throwing back shots with Gary Hart.

The instructor, who was using evidence from animal studies, couldn't understand the disconnect. Why would the studies he's seen say rewards work better but the experience from the instructors indicate the opposite. While the yelling preceded the performance improvement it did not cause it. We like to to think that because two things are closely related they are causal. Think of it this way. When you get up in the morning the sun comes up. Did our rising cause the sun to come up? Not likely.

The answer is something more subtle. The answer was found in something called "regression toward the mean."
http://incentive-intelligence.typepa...ards-walk.html
Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 AM

Thanks guys. This is all good. I'm going to reply individually in the morning because I'm pretty tired right now.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
How about a contest with a prize... tends to work well for sales staff.

-- Ed

Quick Reply: Managers! I need suggestions on Positive Reinforcement!