Man, its amazing how stupid some of us were when we were younger

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by av98
This sounds about correct Kyle; avg 55-60 mph was not that hard. If I remember correctly there is 1 area you can easily make up the 90mph sections due to 1 really long straight; Twin Peaks parking lot -> entrance of semi-technical twisties after about 1 mile past the Grant Ranch Park if you were going downhill. There is an animal crossing 1/2 mile before the semi-technical twisties so watch out for boar or duck families crossing. If it's a snake or squirrel just run them over; squirrels usually get outta the way pretty quickly. Plus depending on season you always had to worry about damn gravel too.
its harder than you think. There is a reason that there are only a handful of guys that can keep up with Christian, bruce and IB up there.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. just can't see you as the wilderness type. That's funny as hell.

I've encountered a few bears. Chased a huge brown bear around hume lake in a pair of flip flops and pajama pants one time.
I'm an Eagle Scout
Old 07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I'm an Eagle Scout
wow. crazy. I only got 3 of my 4.

I did 130 mile 3 week trek through ansel adams when I was 15 though.That was friggin awesome.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:44 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Now it's my turn (LONG!):

in 1999 I did a 38 mile backpack trip in the Yosemite's high sierra (parts of it were up around 10,000 ft). On the last night, we were camping below Halfdome, 3 miles up from Little Yosemite valley (this is where the nearest ranger station is).

Well, the day before we had a MID DAY (!) visit by a black bear mom and two cubs. We shooed her off, but she was super reluctant to leave, but she did. Well this last night, my friend and I were just about ready to sleep when we heard a bear. We got up, zipped the back door of the tent open, and there she was, about 65ft away at the base of this tree.

You see, this tree had a branch, about 50 ft or so up, and we threw a rope over that, and hoisted out food and trash up that to keep it away from the bear. The rope then goes down and across, diagonally to a different tree, which was about 20ft from us, where it's tied off.

We watched this bear climb up the tree, and walk out on the branch, get down and try to swipe the rope hanging the bag. The rope was where the branch thins out a bit, and she couldn't reach it since she was sitting on the thicker portion of this large branch.

So my friend, the crazy adventurous dude he is, says "get a bigger flash light". So I head over some young kids tent and have him give up his big spotlight looking thing. My friend busted out the wrist rocket (brand of slingshot) and his bag of marbles, and a bunch of small rocks.

I was completely scared. I mean, I thought i was going to die for sure tonight. My friend had me blip the spot light so we could see this bear way up this tree, so he could aim, and then i'd flip it off and he'd let a marble go.

Oh man, you could hear this bear, she did NOT like getting hit with marbles and rocks. Eventually, after 3-5 hits, she back tracked so she could get down, well, Rob hit her on the head this time, and she nearly FELL!

I was about ready to run, realizing that Rob is a NCS long jump, triple jump, and sprint champ in HS, and I was in Track and Field too, but I threw shotput and discus... So basically, he's gonna out run me, and I'm gonna be black bear *****es dinner!

She got down, we were ready to run, and she RAN the other way!

We were dumbfounded, but relieved. We waited, and of course she came back. This time, while on the ground, we'd hit her with marbles. Light on, light off, SMACK... rinse and repeat. Each time we hit her, she'd run. After about an hour of this off and on, it got to the point where I'd hit the light, and she'd already be turning to run away. That's right, ***** was getting put in her place.

After like 30mins of silence, it's like 3am now, and we hear something on the tree! It's her cubs... we of course think twice about hitting them with marbles... that's definite death. So we are watching them with the spotlight deal, wondering were mama is, when we hear some more rustling.

All of sudden, the ****ing bear bag drops to the ground in a huge crash. Mama comes running out of the bush off to the right, and grabs it in her mouth, her cubs join her, and just before she runs, she's looking right as us, as if to say. "who's got the bag now, *****!"

So we sat there, amazed at how she figured that out with her poor eye sight, and pissed that she got it. We were defeated, and humiliated... but looking back, that was STUPID to have hit with rocks and marbles. I bet she has some HUGE welts on her, and that's funny and all, but damn, could've ended badly for me that night
GOD DAMN!! remind me never to be around you when you have a sack of marbles lol
Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I'm an Eagle Scout
When are you up for your Silver Beaver?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
its harder than you think. There is a reason that there are only a handful of guys that can keep up with Christian, bruce and IB up there.
I agree, takes a while to get a rythm going but if you practice the run enough it gets a lot easier; say for a year every Sunday morning.

IMHO, the smaller cars on 130 allow more room for correction. I never drove an AWD up there but I'm sure that allowed alot of room for correction and building up a rythm. Things go by so fast you just start to memorize the corners and shift sequences/points.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
I'm an Eagle Scout
hey mes too
Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by ryball
When are you up for your Silver Beaver?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I passed like 3 cars once on one of our drive doing about 135-140 but that was on mines.
You are still one of the craziest SOB's I ever met.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:41 PM
VIP Member

Now it's my turn (LONG!):

in 1999 I did a 38 mile backpack trip in the Yosemite's high sierra (parts of it were up around 10,000 ft). On the last night, we were camping below Halfdome, 3 miles up from Little Yosemite valley (this is where the nearest ranger station is).

Well, the day before we had a MID DAY (!) visit by a black bear mom and two cubs. We shooed her off, but she was super reluctant to leave, but she did. Well this last night, my friend and I were just about ready to sleep when we heard a bear. We got up, zipped the back door of the tent open, and there she was, about 65ft away at the base of this tree.

You see, this tree had a branch, about 50 ft or so up, and we threw a rope over that, and hoisted out food and trash up that to keep it away from the bear. The rope then goes down and across, diagonally to a different tree, which was about 20ft from us, where it's tied off.

We watched this bear climb up the tree, and walk out on the branch, get down and try to swipe the rope hanging the bag. The rope was where the branch thins out a bit, and she couldn't reach it since she was sitting on the thicker portion of this large branch.

So my friend, the crazy adventurous dude he is, says "get a bigger flash light". So I head over some young kids tent and have him give up his big spotlight looking thing. My friend busted out the wrist rocket (brand of slingshot) and his bag of marbles, and a bunch of small rocks.

I was completely scared. I mean, I thought i was going to die for sure tonight. My friend had me blip the spot light so we could see this bear way up this tree, so he could aim, and then i'd flip it off and he'd let a marble go.

Oh man, you could hear this bear, she did NOT like getting hit with marbles and rocks. Eventually, after 3-5 hits, she back tracked so she could get down, well, Rob hit her on the head this time, and she nearly FELL!

I was about ready to run, realizing that Rob is a NCS long jump, triple jump, and sprint champ in HS, and I was in Track and Field too, but I threw shotput and discus... So basically, he's gonna out run me, and I'm gonna be black bear *****es dinner!

She got down, we were ready to run, and she RAN the other way!

We were dumbfounded, but relieved. We waited, and of course she came back. This time, while on the ground, we'd hit her with marbles. Light on, light off, SMACK... rinse and repeat. Each time we hit her, she'd run. After about an hour of this off and on, it got to the point where I'd hit the light, and she'd already be turning to run away. That's right, ***** was getting put in her place.

After like 30mins of silence, it's like 3am now, and we hear something on the tree! It's her cubs... we of course think twice about hitting them with marbles... that's definite death. So we are watching them with the spotlight deal, wondering were mama is, when we hear some more rustling.

All of sudden, the ****ing bear bag drops to the ground in a huge crash. Mama comes running out of the bush off to the right, and grabs it in her mouth, her cubs join her, and just before she runs, she's looking right as us, as if to say. "who's got the bag now, *****!"

So we sat there, amazed at how she figured that out with her poor eye sight, and pissed that she got it. We were defeated, and humiliated... but looking back, that was STUPID to have hit with rocks and marbles. I bet she has some HUGE welts on her, and that's funny and all, but damn, could've ended badly for me that night
I had Bear's at my wedding reception in Tahoe. A Mama Brown Bear and her 2 cubs. The cubs were running around the parking garage of the site looking to get into the dumpster and the momma was hanging out just outside of the garage entrance. I got with about 15 feet of Mama, after her babies came out of the parking garage, to have her look up at me, huff then calmly just walked back down the mountain side. It was awesome!!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by av98

Not sure, but did anybody do the full run to Patterson to see how long it took? Usually another 30-45 minutes past Lick. Oh yeah, watch out for all those cow grates and your brakes for the first 10 minutes.
I live in Tracy and work in SJ and decided one day to take that way home. I wasn't going crazy fast since it was around 5 in the afternoon. But it took me 2 and half hours to go the whole way. 680 to 130 over the summit, down mines, to tesla, tesla into Tracy. It takes an hour to an hour and a half on the freeway.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
lol the first 2 pages sounds like initial D. talking about downhill time and all that
Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by wimprezax06
lol the first 2 pages sounds like initial D. talking about downhill time and all that
Except it wasn't a race. It's just for fun.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Yea, amazingly stupid things I've done. I'll tell you this, real talk. Going to art school.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I had Bear's at my wedding reception in Tahoe. A Mama Brown Bear and her 2 cubs. The cubs were running around the parking garage of the site looking to get into the dumpster and the momma was hanging out just outside of the garage entrance. I got with about 15 feet of Mama, after her babies came out of the parking garage, to have her look up at me, huff then calmly just walked back down the mountain side. It was awesome!!!!
hahahaha! Thats so awesome!!!

Quick Reply: Man, its amazing how stupid some of us were when we were younger