Man, its amazing how stupid some of us were when we were younger

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I came out of hammy once with so much smoke coming out of my wheels I had to ask tedd if I was on fire. No brakes at all. Zero.
I drove home from Thunderhill that way after a track day. Nothing but metal on metal the whole way home and having to deal with stop and go traffic once we got back to civilization.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
shoot we drove a 80's toyota mini van down niles like that. I-5 is a sinch. I've driven it with my eyes closed at around 100mph using brail.
hahaha, what?

Shoot back in the day we were smashing through mount shasta and I shut my lights off and snuck up on the car that was in front of our caravan on the side. Rolled in about 6 inches off their bumper and blasted them with my high beams. Scared the hell out of them... haa.
remind me never to drive in a caravan with you
Old 07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
hahaha, what?

remind me never to drive in a caravan with you
haaaa. the key is to get behind me and hold on.

mind you it was about 3:30 in the morning if not later when I hit em' with my brights. Most everyone but the driver was either asleep or close to it. And through shaster there its like 4 lanes I think. I just remember going out super wide so they wouldn't see me then slashing over hard so they couldn't see my approach. For all you christian music industry folks... the driver of the van I came up behind in the caravan was Jeff from Five Iron Frenzy.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I won't go into the details, but dumbest thing I've done involved the following items:

1. M60 Machine gun.
2. 11,000 rounds of 4 n 1 tracer ammo.
3. Fresh picked Psilocybin mushrooms.
4. Your's Truly.
I've heard this story.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
damn, shooting mushrooms for target practice IS exciting!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Now it's my turn (LONG!):

in 1999 I did a 38 mile backpack trip in the Yosemite's high sierra (parts of it were up around 10,000 ft). On the last night, we were camping below Halfdome, 3 miles up from Little Yosemite valley (this is where the nearest ranger station is).

Well, the day before we had a MID DAY (!) visit by a black bear mom and two cubs. We shooed her off, but she was super reluctant to leave, but she did. Well this last night, my friend and I were just about ready to sleep when we heard a bear. We got up, zipped the back door of the tent open, and there she was, about 65ft away at the base of this tree.

You see, this tree had a branch, about 50 ft or so up, and we threw a rope over that, and hoisted out food and trash up that to keep it away from the bear. The rope then goes down and across, diagonally to a different tree, which was about 20ft from us, where it's tied off.

We watched this bear climb up the tree, and walk out on the branch, get down and try to swipe the rope hanging the bag. The rope was where the branch thins out a bit, and she couldn't reach it since she was sitting on the thicker portion of this large branch.

So my friend, the crazy adventurous dude he is, says "get a bigger flash light". So I head over some young kids tent and have him give up his big spotlight looking thing. My friend busted out the wrist rocket (brand of slingshot) and his bag of marbles, and a bunch of small rocks.

I was completely scared. I mean, I thought i was going to die for sure tonight. My friend had me blip the spot light so we could see this bear way up this tree, so he could aim, and then i'd flip it off and he'd let a marble go.

Oh man, you could hear this bear, she did NOT like getting hit with marbles and rocks. Eventually, after 3-5 hits, she back tracked so she could get down, well, Rob hit her on the head this time, and she nearly FELL!

I was about ready to run, realizing that Rob is a NCS long jump, triple jump, and sprint champ in HS, and I was in Track and Field too, but I threw shotput and discus... So basically, he's gonna out run me, and I'm gonna be black bear *****es dinner!

She got down, we were ready to run, and she RAN the other way!

We were dumbfounded, but relieved. We waited, and of course she came back. This time, while on the ground, we'd hit her with marbles. Light on, light off, SMACK... rinse and repeat. Each time we hit her, she'd run. After about an hour of this off and on, it got to the point where I'd hit the light, and she'd already be turning to run away. That's right, ***** was getting put in her place.

After like 30mins of silence, it's like 3am now, and we hear something on the tree! It's her cubs... we of course think twice about hitting them with marbles... that's definite death. So we are watching them with the spotlight deal, wondering were mama is, when we hear some more rustling.

All of sudden, the ****ing bear bag drops to the ground in a huge crash. Mama comes running out of the bush off to the right, and grabs it in her mouth, her cubs join her, and just before she runs, she's looking right as us, as if to say. "who's got the bag now, *****!"

So we sat there, amazed at how she figured that out with her poor eye sight, and pissed that she got it. We were defeated, and humiliated... but looking back, that was STUPID to have hit with rocks and marbles. I bet she has some HUGE welts on her, and that's funny and all, but damn, could've ended badly for me that night
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I won't go into the details, but dumbest thing I've done involved the following items:

1. M60 Machine gun.
2. 11,000 rounds of 4 n 1 tracer ammo.
3. Fresh picked Psilocybin mushrooms.
4. Your's Truly.
Originally Posted by ryball
I've heard this story.
i need to hear that story
Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
haha thanks...but why do you guys time yourself from town and around houses?

If i set a starting point, it would be after Quimby at the lake, that way there are no pets or people to hit, and less cops.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...37594&t=h&z=15
Ummm... cause thats were mt Hamilton road starts. People live all along that rd, all the way up. So, doesn't make a difference.

and we drove late at night.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
damn, shooting mushrooms for target practice IS exciting!
No, no. Shooting an M60 w/tracers while ON shrooms...
Old 07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by brucelee
Easy to hit 100
I passed like 3 cars once on one of our drive doing about 135-140 but that was on mines.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Now it's my turn (LONG!):

in 1999 I did a 38 mile backpack trip in the Yosemite's high sierra (parts of it were up around 10,000 ft). On the last night, we were camping below Halfdome, 3 miles up from Little Yosemite valley (this is where the nearest ranger station is).

Well, the day before we had a MID DAY (!) visit by a black bear mom and two cubs. We shooed her off, but she was super reluctant to leave, but she did. Well this last night, my friend and I were just about ready to sleep when we heard a bear. We got up, zipped the back door of the tent open, and there she was, about 65ft away at the base of this tree.

You see, this tree had a branch, about 50 ft or so up, and we threw a rope over that, and hoisted out food and trash up that to keep it away from the bear. The rope then goes down and across, diagonally to a different tree, which was about 20ft from us, where it's tied off.

We watched this bear climb up the tree, and walk out on the branch, get down and try to swipe the rope hanging the bag. The rope was where the branch thins out a bit, and she couldn't reach it since she was sitting on the thicker portion of this large branch.

So my friend, the crazy adventurous dude he is, says "get a bigger flash light". So I head over some young kids tent and have him give up his big spotlight looking thing. My friend busted out the wrist rocket (brand of slingshot) and his bag of marbles, and a bunch of small rocks.

I was completely scared. I mean, I thought i was going to die for sure tonight. My friend had me blip the spot light so we could see this bear way up this tree, so he could aim, and then i'd flip it off and he'd let a marble go.

Oh man, you could hear this bear, she did NOT like getting hit with marbles and rocks. Eventually, after 3-5 hits, she back tracked so she could get down, well, Rob hit her on the head this time, and she nearly FELL!

I was about ready to run, realizing that Rob is a NCS long jump, triple jump, and sprint champ in HS, and I was in Track and Field too, but I threw shotput and discus... So basically, he's gonna out run me, and I'm gonna be black bear *****es dinner!

She got down, we were ready to run, and she RAN the other way!

We were dumbfounded, but relieved. We waited, and of course she came back. This time, while on the ground, we'd hit her with marbles. Light on, light off, SMACK... rinse and repeat. Each time we hit her, she'd run. After about an hour of this off and on, it got to the point where I'd hit the light, and she'd already be turning to run away. That's right, ***** was getting put in her place.

After like 30mins of silence, it's like 3am now, and we hear something on the tree! It's her cubs... we of course think twice about hitting them with marbles... that's definite death. So we are watching them with the spotlight deal, wondering were mama is, when we hear some more rustling.

All of sudden, the ****ing bear bag drops to the ground in a huge crash. Mama comes running out of the bush off to the right, and grabs it in her mouth, her cubs join her, and just before she runs, she's looking right as us, as if to say. "who's got the bag now, *****!"

So we sat there, amazed at how she figured that out with her poor eye sight, and pissed that she got it. We were defeated, and humiliated... but looking back, that was STUPID to have hit with rocks and marbles. I bet she has some HUGE welts on her, and that's funny and all, but damn, could've ended badly for me that night
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. just can't see you as the wilderness type. That's funny as hell.

I've encountered a few bears. Chased a huge brown bear around hume lake in a pair of flip flops and pajama pants one time.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Ummm... cause thats were mt Hamilton road starts. People live all along that rd, all the way up. So, doesn't make a difference.

and we drove late at night.

i count 2 houses from Quimby to the summit, and 50+ before that...but whatever

Its just a good rule not to time yourself past residential areas since we want to preserve the sport of driving as long as possible. Timing past houses is such a ricer irresponsible thing to do IMO, no matter what letters on a road sign designate where that road starts.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 07-21-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:41 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
Originally Posted by brucelee
All joking aside, reflecting on the past, I've done some really stupid and dangerous things, one of the stupidest things I've done was about 8 or 9years ago... basically I would race my car up Mt Hamilton with a few friends (not really racing each other, more of a time trail to see who could get the fastest time from the bottom to the top, we'd have a stop watch and someone at the top to confirm).. I was in my RS when it was at its peak, I had my suspension done to my liking, perfectly tuned, some little HP dealies, but HP doesn't matter on that road (well, to a point). Man, the speeds we'd get to.... the crazy close calls... Some of the cliffs near the top are 500 feet sheer cliffs with no trees or anything... You can just imagine what could have happened...

Scares the hell out of me now but I'd still like to do it again (in a safer way)

My fastest time was 23 I believe... Christian did it in his M3 in 22!

Keep in mind the road is 21miles long and very technical.

I'd go through tires every 6 months, and I MILKED them for all they were worth... Thats when price of gas was like $2.29 a gallon of premium.

So what stupid things did you do, be it once or a hobby like mine.

Wow that is impressive. I think my fastest time when I used to practice this run starting from 130 up to Lick was about 25 minutes in my MR2 SC. I miss those Sunday mornings.

How did you get past the 2 u-turn type 10-15mph hairpins? Those were a pita to get past 30 w/o hanging your tail end around.

I still can't get over almost running over a family of wild boars crossing the road (damn that stretch before Grant Ranch Park, you can really open up on those stretches)or the multitude of bikers and hikers. Funny how the Ranger/Sherif lives at the top of the hill.

Anyways, thanks for reminding me of those good ol days. Twas fun making those runs. I'd say keep it on the track or auto-x alot safer w/o worrying about flying off those 500 foot drops.

Not sure, but did anybody do the full run to Patterson to see how long it took? Usually another 30-45 minutes past Lick. Oh yeah, watch out for all those cow grates and your brakes for the first 10 minutes.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

I passed like 3 cars once on one of our drive doing about 135-140 but that was on mines.
lookin to hit a deer for dinner? hhaa
Old 07-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
well say it was a 22 mile road in 22 minutes, that means his avg speed is 60...some turns are 30 mph turn, so for every time you drop down to 30mph, you have to go 90mph to make up for that to stay on your 60mph avg speed target.
This sounds about correct Kyle; avg 55-60 mph was not that hard. If I remember correctly there is 1 area you can easily make up the 90mph sections due to 1 really long straight; Twin Peaks parking lot -> entrance of semi-technical twisties after about 1 mile past the Grant Ranch Park if you were going downhill. There is an animal crossing 1/2 mile before the semi-technical twisties so watch out for boar or duck families crossing. If it's a snake or squirrel just run them over; squirrels usually get outta the way pretty quickly. Plus depending on season you always had to worry about damn gravel too.

Quick Reply: Man, its amazing how stupid some of us were when we were younger