Man dies after BART officer shooting (was: I really hope this ain't true...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Bart also has security

Originally Posted by R-Dub
Really? Thats a little obtrusive.

BART cops should have the jurisdiction of a glorified parking/security guard and NOT carry lethal weapons.

At least IMHO.
Don't confuse Bart Police with Bart Security. The security are the guys you see in the booths, usually sleeping while people jump over the little entry gates....

The Bart Police are fully trained LEO's making an amazing amount of money. I think they're the second highest paid in the bay area right now...could be wrong. Well into the six figures with the overtime they rack up.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
And they need to be lethally armed because...?

Bus drivers don't have guns.

Train conductors don't either.

Why BART? This could just be my ignorance, but as far as I have seen when I was on BART are sleepy eyed people trying to beat the clock to the office or on the way back home anxiously waiting to get home.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .

Why BART? This could just be my ignorance, but as far as I have seen when I was on BART are sleepy eyed people trying to beat the clock to the office or on the way back home anxiously waiting to get home.
Because we don't want BART turning into the subway systems in france where everbody get's robbed!

and in the ultimate irony, a french friend of mine got robbed at an oakland station last year, and when he was visiting relatives in france he was also robbed at their subway
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Lol

The Bart Police don't operate the trains. I'm pretty sure the conductors on the bart trains don't carry guns either...lol.

They respond to all calls of service. Trust me, they have their hands full. You won't see too many morning commuters starting fights, but other times of day and night (oakland bart station after a game lets out) you have a drunken crowd with idiots ready to brawl.

Just because you don't see things happening doesn't mean they don't. I was out all day to day and didn't see a single car get pulled over, verbal argument, fight, or any type of disturbance. That doesn't mean it's not happening. They've got their work cut out for them.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Why do BART cops have live ammo again?
Because blanks don't really get the job done when you shoot someone in the back?

JK.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

because they are regular COPS that just happened to be assigned to BART.

just like where i work, cal state hayward, we have campus cops. they just love it when people call them security guards with guns...

cops are cops are cops. they must pass the POST requirements just like any other cops there.

imo, what happened is a TERRIBLE accident. the cop was probably reaching for his tazer. but due to lack of training, he mistaken grabbed his sidearm instead.

in the end, BART will pay off the law suit. cop who shot will be charged with involuntary manslaughter and not murder.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
I'm not sure I buy this whole "accidentally grabbed the tazer" business. If someone can't tell the difference between holding a tazer and holding a sidearm, then maybe they shouldn't be allowed to use either.

The deceased had a 4 year old child, FWIW.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
i feel like i've seen that guy who got shot around alot before
Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I'm not sure I buy this whole "accidentally grabbed the tazer" business. If someone can't tell the difference between holding a tazer and holding a sidearm, then maybe they shouldn't be allowed to use either.

The deceased had a 4 year old child, FWIW.
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=74
"the current x-26 is shaped and feels like a gun because thats what TASER wants them to feel like"
that quote is from an ALCO Sheriff buddy of mine, along with the pic.
don't blame the LEO's since TASER made them to feel the same
Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 AM

Car Info: wrx02
I work, so I can't make it.

Stay safe man, all protests try to be peaceful but **** is bound to happen with people's emotions this raw.
+1, becareful out there.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rescuer
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=74
"the current x-26 is shaped and feels like a gun because thats what TASER wants them to feel like"
that quote is from an ALCO Sheriff buddy of mine, along with the pic.
don't blame the LEO's since TASER made them to feel the same
May be it should come with flashing/sparking light that can reflect on the target. It may help officer to visually confirm that he is holding a tazer and it might alert the suspect to comply. Taser company should now look into that, instead of making taser look and feel like a gun.

Anyway, this whole BART tragedy is depressing. Poor kid. Seems like he was young kid who was making a honest living as a butcher at grocery store...... And that officer life definitely ruined. I'm sure that was not why he signed up to be cop. Depressing depressing depressing....
Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
I think the whole thing for me all adds up to this; Even if dude was mistaking a 9 for his Taser, which indeed could have happened and be the case since the grips are similar. It still does not answer to WHY he needed to Tase this young man in the first place.

Grant was already on the ground and subdued. So why would you need to even go the Taser route?

That alone is brutality in my eyes, unacceptable, and outrageous.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM

^^^Point well taken. Not the brightest cop.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
New video shows that the officer has a taser on him, on the left side. It's yellow and black in color.

The gun he used was on his right side. It's evident he went for the gun, pulled the gun, pointed the gun, and the tigger was pulled.

Burn his *** at the ****ing stake...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
New video shows that the officer has a taser on him, on the left side. It's yellow and black in color.

The gun he used was on his right side. It's evident he went for the gun, pulled the gun, pointed the gun, and the tigger was pulled.

Burn his *** at the ****ing stake...
yeah the new video is pretty intense.

Quick Reply: Man dies after BART officer shooting (was: I really hope this ain't true...)