Man dies after BART officer shooting (was: I really hope this ain't true...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
BTW: I have two bart cop friends, one is the biggest by-the-book **** cop that would avoid all physical altercations at all costs unless its the last possible option... I've known him since he was young, and even in high school he was like this... He'd even avoid fun activities because something illegal might be happening at the said event... He doesn't bother with little crimes, etc... He's a great cop, one that any force would be honored to have...

THEN there's the other guy.

I met this guy in college, originally he wanted to be en engineer and we were in the same classes and got along well... He never took his stuff too seriously and flunked out. His second plan was to become a cop anywhere he could, and after a year or so he got picked up at BART... He's still the same guy I knew back in college, he's a cool guy to hang out with but the WRONG guy you'd want as a cop... He actually looks for fights and any kind of altercation he can get his hands on... Loves to use his tazer and OC spray... overall, it's like he loves watching people suffer at his hand. I don't think he takes his job very seriously because it was a back up plan job and doesn't have respect for his work... He wanted to be an engineer like his father, etc (ran in his family) but he failed which means that he disappointed his father in that sense and we all know what its like to not have your family's approval of things... The fact that his dad doesn't approve of his job really screws with him even though he tries to hide it... he always mentions it without knowing... But yeah, this makes for one TERRIBLE cop and its sad to see that he was even able to pass the screening process to get to that position in the first place. It's a slap in the face to cops like my first friend who dedicate their lives to serving and protecting, and enforcing the law in the must just way possible which is the polar opposite to my second friend who verbally and physically abuses people then brags about it to friends like me... I try talking sense into him and try scaring him with stories of people getting arrested for abusing their power, etc... But he's so cocky (caulky) that he wont listen to reason.

Most police departments are very strict with whom they hire as each officer represents the entire department and there is little room for screw ups, as seen with the BART screw up, a single mistake of a small time officer can cost the chief and higher ups their jobs... So they don't take the hiring process lightly which is why I'm amazed that my second friend could even get into the police dept (BART) in the first place... If they let him through, who else did they let through? BART is a HUUUUUGE dept, they have the highest jurisdiction in all of CA. I wonder how many of these shady officers they have put onto the force? I hope this incident has at least opened their eyes so that they don't follow in his (officer who shot) footsteps.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by brucelee
As much as I want to hate this cop and call him a murderer, the logic behind this whole thing tells me different. It was obviously an accident and to those that don't think it was:

- How many fellow cops were there to act as witnesses? when their asses are on the line the squeal like there's no tomorrow

- How many people were there watching this? The cop knows that the citizens are witnesses to anything they do

Would the cop really shoot the kid knowing the above? Unless he was slightly retarded, and even then I dont think he would.

I know the taser and his pistol share the same grip, def a design flaw, but if you've ever held a taser and a pistol you'll know that they are 100% different other then the grip... When you take aim on a pistol you can CLEARLY see its not a taser, the sights are completely different.
'
So my theory is that he didn't plan to aim his taser since he was so close, after hew drew his weapon he aimed into a general direction instead of using the sight like he should have because he clearly would have seen that it was a pistol... Trigger happy douchebag!

I see him getting a manslaughter charge

if u read the article above, even the judge doesn't believe him. Mehserle's entire explanation of what happened just doesn't add up, like the judge says. There was no need to use the gun in the first place, as he stated that he thought Oscar was reaching for a gun, so he went for his tazer. And if he did mean to use the tazer, why then would he use a tazer if he thought Oscar was going for a gun? Then the right thing to do at the time was to shoot him if in fact he did have a gun.

The worst thing about this is that I haven't heard a single apology from Mehserle for his "accidental" shooting of Oscar. He seems to have no remorse for what he did, just only remorse for getting caught. Even his attorney hasn't issued an apology to Oscar's family. Considering that the defense is going with the "accidental discharge" argument, they should, at the very least, issue an apology.

Last edited by TurnWRX; 01-31-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
^ this is a guess, but apologizing may be an admission of guilt in legal terms. sad and dark, but he may have been advised by his attorney to keep his mouth shut at all costs if he intends to get anything out of his trial.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:46 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
I think you are right Yin, he probably was told not to say anything.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
As much as I want to hate this cop and call him a murderer, the logic behind this whole thing tells me different. It was obviously an accident and to those that don't think it was:

- How many fellow cops were there to act as witnesses? when their asses are on the line the squeal like there's no tomorrow

- How many people were there watching this? The cop knows that the citizens are witnesses to anything they do

Would the cop really shoot the kid knowing the above? Unless he was slightly retarded, and even then I dont think he would.
Yeah makes me wonder why homie punched dude in the face with all them people watching.

I know the taser and his pistol share the same grip, def a design flaw, but if you've ever held a taser and a pistol you'll know that they are 100% different other then the grip... When you take aim on a pistol you can CLEARLY see its not a taser, the sights are completely different.
'
So my theory is that he didn't plan to aim his taser since he was so close, after hew drew his weapon he aimed into a general direction instead of using the sight like he should have because he clearly would have seen that it was a pistol... Trigger happy douchebag!

I see him getting a manslaughter charge
After seeing all these videos and everything, why did he even need to use the Taser? There was no need for him to go that route considering the dude was on the floor, fresh from a nice punch to the face, and he wasn't going anywhere, no way.

Sad sad sad
Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
I def wish we had more cops out there like you... Its a shame we don't. :-/

How's your AR coming?

AR is coming great =)

just got my eotech and BUIS in, man its pretty sweet.

I just need to replace my handguards ASAP!!!