Man dies after BART officer shooting (was: I really hope this ain't true...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
update from last nights news

http://www.ktvu.com/news/18571084/detail.html

BART Board Members Call For Resignations

Monday, January 26, 2009 – updated: 12:28 am PST January 27, 2009
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Two members of BART's Board of Directors have called for the organization's general manager and the BART Police Chief to step down after KTVU broadcast the latest controversial video connected to the New Year's Day shooting of Oscar Grant.

The board members are demanding changes at the top, saying recently uncovered cell phone video of a BART police officer KTVU showed Friday night is the last straw.

"Unless there's something there you can't see, it looks like a clear case of police misconduct," said BART director Tom Radulovich.

BART director Lynette Sweet first saw the clip on the KTVU Channel 2 News as well: "It just wasn't brought to my attention. KTVU has pretty much been my information source."

Exclusive cell phone video KTVU obtained appears to show a BART police officer go to where a woman officer is talking to three other men and punch one in the face. That man we now know was Oscar Grant. Grant and the others sit down as the same officer appears to aim a Taser gun at them.

"If I just walked up to you and just hit you for no good reason, I'd go to jail," said Sweet. "I don't think we need to act like our police officers are above the law."

A few minutes later, two other officers arrive and Officer Johannes Mehserle shoots Oscar Grant in the back, killing him. Mehserle's now charged with murder. The officer who appears to hit Grant in the face -- and investigators say has his knee on Grant's neck during the shooting -- is not charged with anything.

Sources identify the second officer as Tony Pirone. Before KTVU aired the video, BART's police chief repeatedly said BART's investigation found that no officer but Mehserle did anything improper.

BART Board member Radulovich says he's particularly troubled that the $25 million wrongful death claim filed against BART a few days after the New Year's Day shooting says "an officer kneed him [Grant] in the face. And yet, Radulovich says, apparently BART investigators missed the punch and officers didn't report it.

"You wonder what happens in incidents when there isn't video," explains Radulovich. "Is the internal investigation good enough? I think we need some change at the top."

Radulovich wants BART's General Manager Dorothy Duggar to resign. His colleague Lynette Sweet is calling for the ouster of BART Police Chief Gary Gee.

"I am asking for the chief's resignation. I think as it stands right now the BART police force has operated in a way I can't trust," said Sweet.

Those two BART directors say they have not polled the seven other members of the board, but believe there is growing momentum to restore confidence in BART by making some changes at the top.

Copyright 2009 by KTVU.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Holy crap. Didn't see that video.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
me neither. And i've been pretty much following the news on it
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM

....and the circus rolls on.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
am i missing something? which video are you talking about?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:06 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
am i missing something? which video are you talking about?
the one mentioned in the article?

the one where dude punches oscar.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
here it is

these guys are ****ing animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGcNDbdi9E#

Last edited by Krinkov; 01-27-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM

i don't understand why cops are such asses. anytime we even get pulled over for a ticket, notice how rude cops are.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Hey! What's the difference between a cop and a criminal from a psychological standpoint?

Answer: A badge.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
i don't understand why cops are such asses. anytime we even get pulled over for a ticket, notice how rude cops are.
easy now, im not an ***, and i dont give traffic citations.

i even gave the thumbs up to three MODIFIED subies from my car today =)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Krinkov
here it is

these guys are ****ing animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGcNDbdi9E#
What a *****. $10 says he wanted to show that he's a tough guy in front of the chick cop.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by flatline
easy now, im not an ***, and i dont give traffic citations.

i even gave the thumbs up to three MODIFIED subies from my car today =)
i apologize. i should not have included all of them. you can imagine though how people feel about what is going on these days. there is just too much stress.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM

A lot of people blame the cops for these types of things, and while they may be the under the microscope, I don't think anyone has any idea of what cops put up with on a daily basis.

I have a lot of friends in the SFPD and I was one step from being hired so I heard a lot more than the average Joe. Let me tell you, being a cop is a tough, tough job that requires some thick skin.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
A lot of people blame the cops for these types of things, and while they may be the under the microscope, I don't think anyone has any idea of what cops put up with on a daily basis.

I have a lot of friends in the SFPD and I was one step from being hired so I heard a lot more than the average Joe. Let me tell you, being a cop is a tough, tough job that requires some discretion and discipline.
Fixed.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lurk
Fixed.
Agreed. And almost every cop shows that beyond reasonable doubt. Sometimes one folds under pressure and/or makes a bad decision. But, to pigeon hole all cops as 'mental patients with badges' is more than a little unfair. They put up with **** from the public all the way to top brass.

Just being on various car/motorcycle message boards I know I'd be in a ****ty mood if I had to deal with the morons who seem to keep magically running into cops.

Quick Reply: Man dies after BART officer shooting (was: I really hope this ain't true...)