Man dies after BART officer shooting (was: I really hope this ain't true...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
from what i saw in the videos im suprised thats all that happened...cops were trying to restrain a few people and everyone else on that bart train made the situation worse by escalating the noise in the station and there were like 5 dudes that wouldnt gtfo of the cops way when trying to get the situation in hand...honestly, i dont feel bad (guy shouldnt have been out in sf getting into fights on nye if hes such a good father and was a good friend of his churchs pastor)

and thats why i dont go to the oakland area anymore unless i really have to...
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by slugrx
(guy shouldnt have been out in sf getting into fights on nye if hes such a good father and was a good friend of his churchs pastor)

"they ordered several passengers to get off that train and detained some of them, officials said. Grant was among those passengers, though officials have yet to confirm whether he was suspected of being involved in the fight."

=/
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
(guy shouldnt have been out in sf getting into fights on nye if hes such a good father and was a good friend of his churchs pastor)
And that is excuse to kill him?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM

He was no angel. He previously evaded cops in his car and was subsequently charged with possession of an illegal handgun. Yup, real model citizen.

And before anyone jumps on this, no that isn't an excuse for him to be shot in the manner he was.

Originally Posted by Rescuer
"they ordered several passengers to get off that train and detained some of them, officials said. Grant was among those passengers, though officials have yet to confirm whether he was suspected of being involved in the fight."

=/
And he'd still be alive today if he just sat there, shut up and let the police conduct their investigation. Instead he took a que from the retard on his left and decided to mouth off and resist.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM

I agree that his resistance was uncalled for, but that does not dismiss the officer's actions.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
He was no angel. He previously evaded cops in his car and was subsequently charged with possession of an illegal handgun. Yup, real model citizen.
where is this info?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

And he'd still be alive today if he just sat there, shut up and let the police conduct their investigation. Instead he took a que from the retard on his left and decided to mouth off and resist.
he'd still be alive if the officer didn't use lethal force
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
did i say it was an excuse to kill him? no, so dont mention it...i just said i dont feel bad

i watched them again and yeah i still feel the same way...officers were talkin to him and the bald cop comes from the side, points at the victim and starts talkin to him...dude gets up with hands up (im guessin saying he didnt have anythin to do with it) and the cop makes him sit back down...he doesnt seem to follow orders because the cop who shot him then proceeds to put victim on the ground and he and the bald cop go down to restrain him and a struggle insues, probably with the victim tryin not to get arrested..but if he hadnt resisted and just gotten cuffed, i dont think the shooter would have stood up and drawn his gun...cuz from the time he went down to when the cop stood up was about 10 seconds and it wouldnt take that long to cuff someone who isnt resisting...in the mean time the yelling gets louder, people approach from the other side behind the cops...as some other dude gets taken down, the shot goes off...

cop obviously went for his gun...maybe he was just spooked and fired...maybe victim was threatenin him, maybe cop just wanted to kill...A LOT A LOT of possibilities...but to me it shows you how well he was trained (yay bart police...thats like the fifth time ive had problems with how bart po dont handle situations properly)

and yeah he was charged with drug dealing too...it was on one of the news reports...
Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rescuer
where is this info?
One of the reporters on KTVU mentioned in last night during their 10pm broadcast. His families lawyer even commented on it so I know it wasn't in regards to another hooligan.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
BART officers dont carry tasers. or i am sure he would have used it instead of his firearm.

they have been back and forth on the taser thing for a while. i am sure after this they will get with the program.

i am sure that officers can tell the diff between a black fire arm and a bright neon yellow taser gun.
Not that particular officer.

BART officers do have tasers, it's all in the video.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Funny... I heard on TV that the officer had two prior complaints/cases against him...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI

And before anyone jumps on this, no that isn't an excuse for him to be shot in the manner he was.

He'd be alive if he just shut up huh?

He was NOT resisting!

There aint no excuse for this type of force and even if he was not "shot" and was "tased' it still would have been uncalled for.

Man, dont even get me started.......

out
Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by KOSTI
He'd be alive if he just shut up huh?

He was NOT resisting!

There aint no excuse for this type of force and even if he was not "shot" and was "tased' it still would have been uncalled for.

Man, dont even get me started.......

out
Deep breathes, deep breathes.

All was kosher until the guy to his left stood up and started mouthing off. He was cuffed and that was that. Then this guy decides to add fuel to a already volatile situation and that is what landed him face down on the ground. Mouthing off to a cop in that environment is NOT a good idea, there are already a bunch of goobers on the train yelling and making things more confusing, they don't need the suspects disobeying orders on top of it.

It boils down to officer safety, until they have been handcuffed they (usually) haven't been searched, that is why cops need cooperation. When you're conducting an investigation you can't have your suspects standing up as they feel like it and you ultimately would like for the situation to be over as quickly as possible. Do you think they want to draw out a tense situation like that?

Again, in case you missed it in my previous posts, or have selective reading, that in itself is not just cause for him to be shot, but as there are things you do as a driver to ensure a pleasant police interaction, there are things you do in this situation as well. Mainly polite cooperation.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM

^ Agreed. Best thing to do, even if you are wrongly (to your view) being arrested or detained is complete, quiet compliance with the wishes of the officer (as long as they are within procedure).

If you plan on resisting arrest, get prepared to get a knee to the back of the head or worse - certainly not shot though.

Best thing to do is get the officer's badge # and make a formal complaint with the PD, then get a lawyer and put a case together if its bad enough.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
how can you guys sit there comfortably and judge a guy who didnt deserve to die? we dont know if he was or wasnt a model citizen, and that is actually irrelevant. its like when a child says, "well he started it..."

Quick Reply: Man dies after BART officer shooting (was: I really hope this ain't true...)