Machida vs Shogun

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by yayitzian
on another note, 1st fight of the night on PPV, anyone know yoshiyuki yoshida's intro song? can't find it anywhere.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/yos...nyone-1074542/
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
thanks! i guess someone just found it this morning at 6am. when I was checking all weekend, nobody seemed to know
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 2004 subaru impreza wrx STi
welllll the way i see it... it could have gone either way. both of the fighters werent aggresive enough to persue the judges there way. n the saying goes " if you want to be the champ you have to beat the champ" and shogun wasnt agressive enough after those leg kicks..... at the same time while shogun is scoring leg kicks machida was also scoring with 1 to 3 counter punches to the head and mid section eveytime. ovbiously they werent as effective as the leg kicks from shogun, but they were still landing and scoring points.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Damn I wish I could've watched this fight. Machida is a very mental fighter and very fast, while Shogun has incredible power and speed. I was talking to my brother before the fight and told him I had a feeling Machida would win, but that Shogun would give him his best challenge ever. Gotta search around and see if I can find the fight video to watch it myself.

Really good to hear Shogun did so well. May not have taken the victory but it sounds like he definitely let Machida know he was there.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Deniz1980
The judges "unanimous decision" was pretty outrageous, although Machida to remain champ is no surprise. A "challenger" trying to win via points (leg kicks) is not going to give you any edge on the judges score card. Machida with his momentary spurts and successful take down defense was enough to bring this fight to a draw, in my opinion. I was disappointed at Shoguns lack of aggressiveness, Joe Rogan keeps talking about the Shogun of PrideFC but the intensity is not there ever since he stepped into the UFC. If you want to win by leg kicks you better knock him down at least.... Sorta' like what Brandon Vera will do to Randy Coture on the next event.
exactly what he said
Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
you guys act like leg kicks don't do anything?

One of Machida's best weapons is speed. You take a guy the legs away from a guy like Machida and you've helped yourself.

I didn't watch the fight but I've always felt that the best way to beat machida is to beat the crap out of his legs for a couple rounds and slow him down then take his *** down and smash on him. Or at the very least slow him down, get ahead a couple rounds and force him to come to you while slowed down if you're a quality enough counter puncher with stop power.

I think the UFC is running full speed in to some issues. Seems that more and more in the last 12-18 months there have been decisions like this. Ones that most people don't agree with. And it's usually one of the UFC's chosen faces that eeks out. Like when Bisbing beat Matt Hammel. EVERYONE thought that was crap. But Mike went on to be the UFC's face to the UK.... kind of already was.

Now we have a couple guys just dominating the people they fight in Silva and Machida. A freak of nature holding down the heavy weight divisions possibly for a long time... no I don't think the Salinas native can win. Not yet.

Toss in the TUF show SUCKING this season and having not a single person on their that looks like a quality addition to the heavy weight division and not one marketable guy short of kimbo and he should not be ufc material. Not anymore. Maybe 8 years ago. Not now.

I'm more interested in the 155's and 170's right now.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
you guys act like leg kicks don't do anything?

One of Machida's best weapons is speed. You take a guy the legs away from a guy like Machida and you've helped yourself.

I didn't watch the fight but I've always felt that the best way to beat machida is to beat the crap out of his legs for a couple rounds and slow him down then take his *** down and smash on him. Or at the very least slow him down, get ahead a couple rounds and force him to come to you while slowed down if you're a quality enough counter puncher with stop power.

I think the UFC is running full speed in to some issues. Seems that more and more in the last 12-18 months there have been decisions like this. Ones that most people don't agree with. And it's usually one of the UFC's chosen faces that eeks out. Like when Bisbing beat Matt Hammel. EVERYONE thought that was crap. But Mike went on to be the UFC's face to the UK.... kind of already was.

Now we have a couple guys just dominating the people they fight in Silva and Machida. A freak of nature holding down the heavy weight divisions possibly for a long time... no I don't think the Salinas native can win. Not yet.

Toss in the TUF show SUCKING this season and having not a single person on their that looks like a quality addition to the heavy weight division and not one marketable guy short of kimbo and he should not be ufc material. Not anymore. Maybe 8 years ago. Not now.

I'm more interested in the 155's and 170's right now.
They do damage, but this fight, those kicks did not slow down Machida at all.

Shogun wasn't aggressive enough, and why? cause he knew if he got really aggressive, Machida could find an opportunity, so Shogun played it safe, and that's just not going to do it.

It's not boxing. Machida wasn't fighting that douche bag Mayweather Jr.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM
General Pimpin'

haaaa.

I think Machida is gonna be ALMOST as hard to dethrone as Silva will be.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
haaaa.

I think Machida is gonna be ALMOST as hard to dethrone as Silva will be.
Yeah man, 48-47, all 3 judges... that's stupid close. And I doubt they scored every round the same. It's just how the numbers added up.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 PM
General Pimpin'

trying to outpoint the current champ and a VERY accurate striker is stupid.

But hell it sounds like at the very least he exposed a weekness in Machida in attacking the legs... but knowing Machida he'll go to camp and fix that problem.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM

y
I didn't watch the fight but I've always felt that the best way to beat machida is to beat the crap out of his legs for a couple rounds and slow him down then take his *** down and smash on him.
The only problem was Shogun kicked him in the legs (and sometimes the ribs) the WHOLE fight. He only threw like 2 punches and missed badly. He tried taking him down about 3-4 times throughout the fight, but couldn't. So he resorted to leg kicking the entire 5 rounds. When they were tied up, Shogun used his knees to knee Machida's knees lol. You could say Shogun won the fight due to 95% leg kicks, but that's a cheap way to beat a champion (unless Machida went down and couldn't continue). It would be the same cheap way if Brock wasn't the champion and instead the challenger, and sat on top of his opponent the whole 5 rounds and won the belt.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
No they definitely slowed him down. He was noticeably limping during the last 3 rounds. He also wasn't moving side to side like he usually does. Both fighters were also quite tired after the 3rd round.

Last edited by TurnWRX; 10-26-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Car Info: WRB 2012 WRX Sedan
Next time around Machida should utilize the broader Karate kick techniques against a muay thai fighter. A back kick or side kick to the midsection when timed correctly (in which Machida is a master at) would keep those looping leg kickers at bay.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by Deniz1980
Next time around Machida should utilize the broader Karate kick techniques against a muay thai fighter. A back kick or side kick to the midsection when timed correctly (in which Machida is a master at) would keep those looping leg kickers at bay.

Thank you sir, I'm sure neither Machida nor Shogun know anything about straight kicks
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc

Shogun wasn't aggressive enough, and why? cause he knew if he got really aggressive, Machida could find an opportunity, so Shogun played it safe, and that's just not going to do it.
Machida's legs were done after the 3rd round - if this fight went longer, who knows if Machida would have done something big on Shogun, but Shogun's leg kicks would have KO'd Machida for sure.

I guarantee you Shogun is probably taking walks in the park today, and Machida can't walk. And then just look at their face after the fight: Machida's all cut up and Shogun looks like he wasn't even in a fight

This fight was frustrating - we saw Shogun in top form and working on not being overly aggressive. They showed him crying after the fight in the locker room so I think he knew he could have gotten a 10-8 round in round 5 if he really pushed for it.

What sucks is I don't want Shogun to start going crazy and taking risks again lol...

They're having a rematch. I predict Shogun via leglock this time

Last edited by verc; 10-26-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
anyone notice that in at least 2-3 different instances, shogun was totally open and sort of spacing out, but by the time machida reacted, shogun remembered to finally cover up?

anyways, yes machida had some of his combos, but from what I remember shogun countered back for everything that was thrown at him as well for the most part. to me shogun was aggressor the entire fight except for 30 seconds or so in either round 2 or 3. I forget. I'll have to rewatch it again.

Quick Reply: Machida vs Shogun