M.J. dies and it’s 24/7 news. An American hero dies and not a mention of it anywhere

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Car Info: C:/ and D:/
As a journalism major in college and having been in the cutting room where people decide what stories are going to run and more importantly, where they're going to run, I think this whole topic is being way over analyzed.

The fact that the Vietnam war was an "unpopular war" doesn't factor into the media's decision not to run a story about the guy. Plain and simple, the majority of Americans want to read about MJ. That's where the money was, so that's where the coverage went.

I am not downplaying this man's heroism, he's 10 times the man I could ever be. It's just that when you step back and look at it from a money standpoint (which is what it is in this day and age where media outlets are folding and dying left and right), when you have one pop megastar who dies, and one of MANY war vets who has passed, it's easy to get a little perspective into the decision making process.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
You made me put them together by bringing up the "motives", also claiming the media sucks and it's just an unpopular war......well you all brought it up not me, so don't be rude and tell me to rejoin the discussion, stop denying that michael jackson did a lot more than anyone you'll ever know or meet.

I said 'motives' after someone said it was an unpopular war. That was where the connection was made. The media has nothing to do with people's perception of this man's bravery.

I also never said the media sucks, I said our media has some major problems, especially when you compare their actions with the definition of journalism.

We were discussing ones mans bravery you are right, but the OP shouldn't have tried to trash michael jackson and compare them.......especially when he is posting up articles on war heros all the time.

Take that up with Brucelee.

you are failing to see my reasoning is precisely what you stated above, this is about one mans bravery during a single event.

He didn't spend his whole life contributing, and I don't think that you can rightly say he is more or less of a hero than MJ. You can say that MJ helped a helluv a lot more people than 30.......In my own opinion, I respect this guy a lot.......................but michael jackson did a helluv a lot more, and that makes him a big hero.

This is where we will have to agree to disagree. I can't compare writing checks from your mansion to valor on the battlefield.

I mean the downfall of our country,???

99 % of people don't care about fallen heros???

come on drama queens............. thats total cop out and lame

To say that most Americans would place a war hero above a pop star simply shows you're not paying attention.
More red.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by mjc1055
As a journalism major in college and having been in the cutting room where people decide what stories are going to run and more importantly, where they're going to run, I think this whole topic is being way over analyzed.

The fact that the Vietnam war was an "unpopular war" doesn't factor into the media's decision not to run a story about the guy. Plain and simple, the majority of Americans want to read about MJ. That's where the money was, so that's where the coverage went.

I am not downplaying this man's heroism, he's 10 times the man I could ever be. It's just that when you step back and look at it from a money standpoint (which is what it is in this day and age where media outlets are folding and dying left and right), when you have one pop megastar who dies, and one of MANY war vets who has passed, it's easy to get a little perspective into the decision making process.
well said.

we're not condoning the constant coverage of MJ, nor are we ignoring heroics acts from servicemen. it just makes sense that is what's receiving the most coverage. its where the money is.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
Four friggin' pages now and no one, I mean no one seems to get it.

Some right wing blogger who hates that the media won't cover his favorite topics posts a fabrication stating that a MOH winner and Michael Jackson seemingly died the same day and the war hero's death was completely ignored.

For the record Freeman died in August 2008. And there was plenty of coverage. Google him.

If you want to get your knickers in a big wedgie, it should be over the fact that there are those out there who will say anything that comes to mind to further a personal agenda.

I've now seen Major Freeman's death referenced regarding Paul Newman, Chris Brown and now MJ.

If you want to become incensed, imagine how Major Freeman's family must feel seeing his name used like this, not once but over and over again

My guess is they are just livid.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Risking your life >Spending money.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I get/got it & find the idea truly despicable.

Originally Posted by sfflyfish

Some right wing blogger who hates that the media won't cover his favorite topics posts a fabrication stating that a MOH winner and Michael Jackson seemingly died the same day and the war hero's death was completely ignored.

For the record Freeman died in August 2008. And there was plenty of coverage. Google him.

If you want to get your knickers in a big wedgie, it should be over the fact that there are those out there who will say anything that comes to mind to further a personal agenda.

I've now seen Major Freeman's death referenced regarding Paul Newman, Chris Brown and now MJ.

If you want to become incensed, imagine how Major Freeman's family must feel seeing his name used like this, not once but over and over again

Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Yin

Originally Posted by sfflyfish

^ he's right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Freeman
Old 07-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Yin

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Risking your life >Spending money.
agreed. and i dont think anyone is disagreeing/arguing with you about this here.

what i meant was, money for the media outlets. they get paid to cover this.

Last edited by Yin; 07-14-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by dorifto88
i can kind of one up you with the death of Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

"Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy
Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't
know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat. Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made. Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped. At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you
know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.
I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day. I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach. He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy.." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this. Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer."
wow mike I got goosebumps reading that. What an experience...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
The major mass media outlets are owned by 6 companies, 2 of which are General Electric and Disney. These companies don't cover news that doesn't bring in large audiences. Therefore, michael jackson > Vietnam hero. (That is the view of media outlets, not me).

Money > morality & humanity. Yay capitalism!

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 07-14-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
*Waves race card*

Are the sourpusses in this thread bitter because the media is giving even more attention to a 'magical negro'?

it came up in a podcast, so I'm curious to hear from those claiming outrage over the situation
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by STiForFun
*Waves race card*

Are the sourpusses in this thread bitter because the media is giving even more attention to a 'magical negro'?

it came up in a podcast, so I'm curious to hear from those claiming outrage over the situation
r u srs?