Loose rear end…what would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:42 PM

Need proper counter steering.

Was the car stock?
Hitting the brake hard during the steering at downhill turns?

Take a look at below image and website regarding countersteering on oversteering during the drift.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...land//10mg.jpg

Some good video clips here. Pay attention to the front wheels line up when the rear end turn loose upon steering with brakes(rear brake light).
http://www.team-oneil.com/videos.htm

Some good talks on Tim's interviews.
http://www.team-oneil.com/press.htm
I especially like this one.
http://www.team-oneil.com/press7.htm
Can't find where he spoke about left foot breaking and pendulum turn.

During downhill, if one brake hard, the whole body mass focused into the very front and lessen the rear contact significantly. Counter steer a little with the gas(at lower gear) may do the job.

Don't kill yourself or your car.

-Kendo.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:07 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
I would have squinted like Takumi does shifted and put my wheels into the gutter. But that's just me...
Old 08-25-2004, 06:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
you know as much as ive tried... i have never ever gotten my rear end out around a corner in the dry... yet that is

must be my tires
edgar,
Old 08-25-2004, 06:56 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by macao_friend
Point well taken. I've tried very hard not to raise our insurance . Any pointers though? I'll go back to that road tonight and see if I can replicate what I did to break loose the rear...
I can't believe how dumb you are. You lucked out the first time, and now you want to drive up there again and see if you can re-create what happened?!! Why don't you invest in some better tires/suspension and more importantly driving classes, before you decide to try some Option2 style Touge driving. :rollseyes:
Old 08-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Yes, don't go back there... don't waste your money with high insurence rates and deductables... just get better tires, better suspension, and take some driving courses.

Whenever someone wants to mod their car (n00bs) and they ask me what I'd do first... I ALWAYS tell them tires and suspension. You have enough power for now... not enough skill though. So, change that! Then upgrade power and tear some ish up.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
^^^

Good call... AutoX is def a good place to go. I went to quite a few before I had my first track day.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:29 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Here are picks of my crash, only damaged the front of my bumper.

night it happened - http://slakin.net/04WRX/8-7-2004/
revisit of the site in day light - http://slakin.net/04WRX/8-8-2004-JCR/
A chopped view of the whole turn - http://slakin.net/04WRX/8-8-2004-JCR/chopped-mq.jpg

Driving down the hill too fast, under steered, did a wall ride on the side of the mountain, came down, applied breaks, skid to the edge of the cliff and stopped just in time.

Yes, I am also an unexperienced driver when it comes to rallying.
I grew up on windy mountain roads rallying a VW bus getting on 2 wheels and a bit of drifting, but that was nothing compared to this.

I am now affraid to make my wheels squeel around every turn. =\ Plus I have the granny *** wagon with stock suspension and tires.

I will hopefully make it to a track day some time with all of you other newbs as well and we can newb-speed together. ;D
Old 08-25-2004, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 96' Impreza GM4
Please don't drive anywhere near Skyline Blvd., Page Mill Road, or Woodside Road, I don't want you to hit me. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
The car doesn't always straighten out. As in my case I countersteered twice to get it to correct. Once to the right, once to the left then BAM!!! Oh well, lesson learned that's for sure.
Well, I mean, you can't defy the laws of physics - if you get your car too far around you're done for. Regardless, lifting is the worst thing you can do on a public road because you're almost gauranteed to lose control and begin to spin. At a track, like Thunderhill for example, I believe there is one corner where they tell you to slame the brake and clutch if you start to lose it, because if you lose it and try to power through you'll probably hit the wall..but it's better to spin on a track and go in to the dirt than spin on the road and go in to a mountain side or off of one
Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I believe auto-x is the answer. I have just started to auto-x and you learn the limits of your car a lot better there. It's kinda funny, since my brother has been auto-xing for some time now, and when i went on my first run, my tires didn't even squeak.... But, on the 3rd run of the day, i put my time down 6 seconds. Considering most auto-x tracks are about 1 minute... that's damn good for me =)

Edit: Also, hitting a few cones is a lot better than running off the track into dirt or a tire wall, and much better than going into the side of a cliff or off one...

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 08-25-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
yeah i put drift0 the autoX veteran to shame on my first autoX run ever... haha i beat his best time of the day with my first time ever!

i still laugh at him till this day
edgar,
so random i know
Old 08-25-2004, 11:16 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
See the thing is, you always gotta take it safe and slow. THAT's the key point more than anything. Because I also know for a fact that a lot of professional racing legends, IE some of the WRC drivers and JGTC drivers, learned race driving on public roads in their personal cars, by themselves, and that they indeed did crash but now they are better than anyone any of us on board personally knows (except maybe Imprezzer )

Granted you can say they are lucky not to have died, but I think that the innate personality trait/ability to not rush into things and get over your head is a pretty big qualification to whether someone can learn performance driving the "amatuer way". And it's not like you can flame me for saying this because as I just said above and as we all know, some very famous drivers were like this.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
So no one else is going to coment on the fact that he said "loose rearend?" I know I'm not the only one that thinks like a 13 year old. You know it made you laugh...

-Chris

Quick Reply: Loose rear end…what would you have done?