Loose rear end…what would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:52 PM

Loose rear end…what would you have done?

So last night, I was having my “spirited” drive on this mountain road which I am pretty familiar with. Everything was cool during the uphill run. However, during the downhill run, I heard my tires screamed for a couple of turns and on this not-so-tight left turn, my rear end totally lost grip. Basically, I was going sideways, like Initial D, but what’s not funny is that the nose of my car is now pointing at the cliff. So I panicked and yanked my steering wheel to the right while stepping on the brakes. So now my car is sliding sideways again, but at least this time its nose is pointing to the right where the mountain is. When everything is said and done, my car didn’t get any damage and it was just sitting sideways in the middle of the road. Good thing is that it was at night and no traffic whatsoever.

Before I even had time to reverse my car back on the road, I started thinking what I should’ve done to save the slide. I don’t have any experience with drifting and frankly didn’t expect my 4WD to do this on a dry road.

I wasn’t driving like I was racing anyone, just having some fun with the twisties. So I guess my question is, what could I’ve done to save the slide and kept on driving? Provided that I want to keep on driving on the road and not keep on driving after falling off the cliff?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Hmm.. Try not going so fast when you can't drive.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Get better tires and take a driving class. Seriously.

The best way to learn the limits of your car is on a race track... you can go how fast you want without Johnny Law on your back!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
That my friend is how most people crash their first AWD car. I did the same thing with worse results. From reading and experimenting in safer situations, staying ON the gas and not drastically countersteering will be the way out of that situation. The instant you let up on the gas, the car will snap back the other direction, and bad things will happen.

Testing the limits of traction with little skill to back it up gets people killed. Luckily the only thing I killed were 3 OZ Superleggera's and a hell of a lot of suspension.

I wanted to flame you, but I think everyone else will take care of that.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by AWD 20T
Hmm.. Try not going so fast when you can't drive.
Point well taken. I've tried very hard not to raise our insurance . Any pointers though? I'll go back to that road tonight and see if I can replicate what I did to break loose the rear...I really wasn't doing anything extraordinary though. I guess if it was a regular road and not the cliff, I would be able to manage, but I guess the cliff did it for me psychologically.

Last edited by macao_friend; 08-25-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:06 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by macao_friend
I'll go back to that road tonight and see if I can replicate what I did to break loose the rear...
are you sure you want to do that?

second time you might not be as lucky and end up at the bottom of the cliff or in the side of the mountain

take it to a track or large open parking lot and try and replicate it there where you have room for error
Old 08-25-2004, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by wrx ish
are you sure you want to do that?

second time you might not be as lucky and end up at the bottom of the cliff or in the side of the mountain

take it to a track or large open parking lot and try and replicate it there where you have room for error
I agree. I wouldn't advise going back to replicate cause the chances are even greater that something bad will happen. Don't tempt fate my friend. I did one too many times and paid for it with a bent lower control arm.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

DON'T TRY TO REPLICATE IT.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:13 PM

Yeah, I think you guys are right...so when is the next Suby only track day??? J/K, I'll check the board for that thread myself, I know I saw that just a day or two ago too.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

I've actually been seriously toying with the idea of organizing a "first autocross" day for noobs like myself...I'm totally into doing it but don't want to head out there alone and clueless.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
I've actually been seriously toying with the idea of organizing a "first autocross" day for noobs like myself...I'm totally into doing it but don't want to head out there alone and clueless.
Damn, too bad I just started a new job, otherwise, I'd love to pair up with you and get this organized. I don't know, track days to me are too hardcore. Autocross seems like something more suitable.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
If you guys want, there is an autox in Reno the weekend of October 10th (at Stead) that I'm considering going to with the SECCS guys. Maybe we could try to set something up - I gotta see how work is going though.

As far as what you should have done:

1. Slow down. You're obviously inexperienced. Practice driving the right lines at slower speeds and work from there. Try to learn the limits of the car and your abilities as you were obviously driving outside of both.
2. NEVER lift or slam the brakes in that situation. Stay on the gas and countersteer.
3. Change your pants after you straighten the car out.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
If you guys want, there is an autox in Reno the weekend of October 10th (at Stead) that I'm considering going to with the SECCS guys. Maybe we could try to set something up - I gotta see how work is going though.

As far as what you should have done:

1. Slow down. You're obviously inexperienced. Practice driving the right lines at slower speeds and work from there. Try to learn the limits of the car and your abilities as you were obviously driving outside of both.
2. NEVER lift or slam the brakes in that situation. Stay on the gas and countersteer.
3. Change your pants after you straighten the car out.
The car doesn't always straighten out. As in my case I countersteered twice to get it to correct. Once to the right, once to the left then BAM!!! Oh well, lesson learned that's for sure.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Of all the driving Ive ever done in my sube... mountains... driving fast, etc, etc... I've never f'd up and ruined my car. The only accidents Ive ever been in have been low speed parking lot ones!!! (Stupid women!!!).

I think the reason for that might be because I TOOK MY CAR TO A TRACK BEFORE I WENT BEYOND MY LIMITS!! Seriously... go to a track day... and you might feel intimdated or whatever... Dont. Everyone has to start somewhere. Push past your limits and see exactly what your limits are. You'll also learn your cars limits really damn fast too. And get new tires. RE92s SUCK ***!
Old 08-25-2004, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by macao_friend
Damn, too bad I just started a new job, otherwise, I'd love to pair up with you and get this organized. I don't know, track days to me are too hardcore. Autocross seems like something more suitable.
Autocross is a way to learn to drive at a very low cost. Vehicle speeds are kept low enough to keep most people out of trouble. The only downside to a novice is the fact that you know it is a timed event and people are comparing times. Try to concentrate just on your own driving.

Track days are a good way to explore limits in a pretty safe environment and most feature available driving instructors for ride-alongs. Thunderhill track day in Meeting and Events forum. Subaru owners registering before September 17th will be eligible for a discounted entry fee as detailed at UnlimitedLaps.com.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush

Quick Reply: Loose rear end…what would you have done?