Looking For a used Sti ...Any good deals out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 PM

Car Info: 2011 Infiniti G37
Originally Posted by ViVaSuBy
Look son, in the time you wrote up those two messeges you could have helped out an i-club member. This is exactly why i dont come on here no more. Because of people like you who rather make senceless and stupid comments, " Dood wtf?" Why make a negative comments? Learn to move on..no one was asking you especificly to give me the adress of the dealership..
LOL okay father... but seriously, do you understand the dilemma that i am having here? i'm not trying to be mean, i'm merely pointing out a fact. and i did help you in my first post... i gave you three listings on CL that matched your criteria. maybe you need to analyze what YOU are doing (or lack of) first before you criticize everybody else on here. i mean it's one thing to ask a technical question but asking for the address of a dealership? c'mon now, you're a big boy... you can most definitely figure that out on your own. you can't expect everybody to do everything for you...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by subie OCD
BBS' are light, especially the 2004 STi (5x100, 17x7.5). They are forged, weigh a little over 15lbs each and are very strong. The only reason I would replace them is if I damaged them like Davon said. That or if I was involved in competing in racing and wanted something wider. Even the 17x8 on the 05-07 at ~18lbs is nice and stronger than my year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Rotas, they're great and I've owned them in the past as a second wheel set but I wouldn't get rid of the stock BBS wheel.
Right... So if an 04 17x7.5 is 15.7lbs... but 05+ 17x8 are 18lbs... It's obvious that .5" of width IS NOT 2lbs of metal... Unless they made the spokes, and drum wall thickness significantly thicker... my best guess is it's a cast wheel, being sold as a forged wheel.

I've own cast wheels, and I've owned forged wheels. My cast wheels, in 17x8, were 17.5 lbs. So trust me, something is very very off.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Right... So if an 04 17x7.5 is 15.7lbs... but 05+ 17x8 are 18lbs... It's obvious that .5" of width IS NOT 2lbs of metal...Unless they made the spokes, and drum wall thickness significantly thicker.. my best guess is it's a cast wheel, being sold as a forged wheel.

I've own cast wheels, and I've owned forged wheels. My cast wheels, in 17x8, were 17.5 lbs. So trust me, something is very very off.
That sounds about right to me, its a beefed up 17x8 wheel... two pounds spread around the wheel sounds pretty reasonable and I've never heard about the stock BBS's being cast until now. Do you have any evidence of this? I don't see how BBS could get away with selling cast wheels as forged wheels.... they seem pretty highly regarded in the car community.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Old School

That sounds about right to me, its a beefed up 17x8 wheel... two pounds spread around the wheel sounds pretty reasonable and I've never heard about the stock BBS's being cast until now. Do you have any evidence of this? I don't see how BBS could get away with selling cast wheels as forged wheels.... they seem pretty highly regarded in the car community.
NO

It's been my suspicion. Cause I know what 2lbs of metal is. That's not a little bit of metal, that's a lot.

Why wouldn't they make a wheel cast but stamped forged? What's makes BBS so holy and righteous that they wouldn't for a client that requested it.

The 08 BBS Optional wheels are also heavy, nearly 20lbs.

I"m just saying there is a disconnect. It doesn't add up.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I didn't say they were holy or righteous, just that they have a good reputation. Also, the new BBS is 18x8.5 so 20lbs is not bad at all for a forged piece that size. The non BBS are the real pigs.

I'm not trying to be a defensive fanboi, people can use whatever wheel they want...it's just a pretty big claim without evidence. That's how rumors get started.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Old School

I didn't say they were holy or righteous, just that they have a good reputation. Also, the new BBS is 18x8.5 so 20lbs is not bad at all for a forged piece that size. The non BBS are the real pigs.
Funny cause my wheels are cast, yet they are 20lbs at 18x9.5...

Forged my ***

I'm not trying to be a defensive fanboi, people can use whatever wheel they want...it's just a pretty big claim without evidence. That's how rumors get started.
Rumors? I'd you mean how many feel that brand x is crap and brand y is the ****? I know what it takes to create a wheel, cast and forged. To me the 05+ BBS wheels do not seem forged. That's all I'm saying.

People, esp on the other board, just take **** at face value. No one questions anything. It's unfortunate that it's not easy to test whether a wheel is forged or cast. No test exsists. You have to take it for what the manufacturer says. Or, at least what the client (who will resell) of the manufacturer says.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 09-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
banned

Car Info: WRX STi 2004
Originally Posted by WRX USA
Thank you Capitan! But I purchased my STi lastnight from the Mitsubishi/Audi dealership in Monterey..