Looking for Puppy and Adoption Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Looking for Puppy and Adoption Questions.

Family and I are looking to adopt a dog or puppy. We stopped by at a local SPCA to check out what they had to save a dog.

I'm sorry but I couldn't understand the fees associated with the SPCA. Im all game for saving a dog, hence why I got in a pow wow with the worker.

They wanted $225 for it the plus mandatory $95.00 for training and $50 processing, thats over $300 to adopt. I told her look, Im doing you a favor into adopting a dog and I understand a fee but over $300.

Im not cheap or anything, I couldnt understand all of that while standing in their newly built 15,000 sqft building....Is this normal?

FYI, if anyone has any ideas on other shelters please let me know or anybody you know that is having puppies. My wife wants one of those Pomeranians first choice, but anything honestly we can rescue is fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Jeez! That's nuts!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Yea I received the same sort of prices when I was looking for a dog back in March, crazy when you think your trying to do the right thing. I know they have costs involved with the operating of the facility etc but I always thought it should be a nominal fee.

Did you have to fill out a crazy long form as well? I got into with the lady as she said they would probably refuse me adoption due to the dog coming to my work place which they deemed as unsafe for the dog.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Yea I received the same sort of prices when I was looking for a dog back in March, crazy when you think your trying to do the right thing. I know they have costs involved with the operating of the facility etc but I always thought it should be a nominal fee.

Did you have to fill out a crazy long form as well? I got into with the lady as she said they would probably refuse me adoption due to the dog coming to my work place which they deemed as unsafe for the dog.
ya she made fill out a form and actually interviewed myself and wife. Asked questions "where is the dog going to sleep, how much care etc..."...

I told her look im fine of paying a nominal fee and will even make a small donation but over $300 I can go find a puppy from someone..

Its Crazy!..
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I believe if they lowered the cost people would adopt more but on the other hand I see them doing this because if you're a serious pet owner you will pay the fee and less likely to have the pet end back up in there. Thats the same place my husbands cousin goes to and they also requires 2 random house visits. One before adoption to ensure the place was safe and one after to ensure dogs/owners are happy. She said it was a lot of red tape to adopt but I guess it didn't bother he because she adopted 4 so far.

Usually the fees are from getting them fixed and chipped and shots ect.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Its a pretty involved process. When we adopted our last dog, they wanted to interview anyone who would have extended contact with the dog....

He was also $95 OTD which covered his fixing!

I'm assuming there are less donations these days which is why they charge so much. Its sad, its almost as much as getting a dog from a respected breeder (and a LOT more than a puppy mill) so I see less people adopting.

We searched multiple SPCA's and rescue services for our last pup, but the fee's (and the fact they were pretty much all chihuahua's) really turned us off.

We ended up paying a little bit more at a well respected breeder for a papered pup with an 18-mo 'warranty'.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by SolSurferX
Its a pretty involved process. When we adopted our last dog, they wanted to interview anyone who would have extended contact with the dog....

He was also $95 OTD which covered his fixing!

I'm assuming there are less donations these days which is why they charge so much. Its sad, its almost as much as getting a dog from a respected breeder (and a LOT more than a puppy mill) so I see less people adopting.

We searched multiple SPCA's and rescue services for our last pup, but the fee's (and the fact they were pretty much all chihuahua's) really turned us off.

We ended up paying a little bit more at a well respected breeder for a papered pup with an 18-mo 'warranty'.

My last resort is to adopt from a breeder, Wife and I are even thinking about a dog we can prob snag from someone who cant care for one any longer i.e elder.

Its totally sad about the Chihuahuas, about 60% were them. Thanks to the Hilton girl stuffing them in her purse as a fashion statement. When they grew bigger the owners abandoned them. Very Sad!..
Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
My last resort is to adopt from a breeder, Wife and I are even thinking about a dog we can prob snag from someone who cant care for one any longer i.e elder.

We tried to go that route as well with several different people. Way too many unanswered questions about vet checks, no shot paperwork, where the pup came from, etc.

Just too shady for a pup that could have parvo or have come from a puppy mill.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
I remember seeing some places adoption fee's are for them to be neutered/spayed and shots then a small processing fee so SolSurferX's paid price sounds right.

I feel some of these places go a little overboard on whats required to adopt a dog/cat. I'm all for the animal going to a safe, caring, loving family but we're talking about adopting pet not becoming a US citizen or buying a firearm. I remember wanting to adopt a kitten for my mom after her cat passed away. My ex went to Pets Mart when they were doing adoptions and talked to them about adopting a kitten for my mom and they got real up tight about it. I went in later that day, BS'd it was for me, proved my residence and adopted it. Well worth it when I saw my mom's face on Christmas
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Rat

Car Info: always changing...
There are a bunch of private rescue groups too. We adopted our guy from a Chihuahua/Daschund rescue. It wasn't cheap at about $200 but I felt ok helping out the people who were helping the animals.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
SPCA is a pretty ****ty org.

There are lots of local rescues that are much better. Do some googling and you can find breed or species specific rescues in your area and those will usually be the best bet.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by irrational x
SPCA is a pretty ****ty org.

There are lots of local rescues that are much better. Do some googling and you can find breed or species specific rescues in your area and those will usually be the best bet.
Ya already on that route, I realized each Breed of dog has a rescue program. Hopefully we find one, Will surely post picks of the rescue or the new addition to the fam bam
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
How old was the dog you were looking at? When I got mine there was a price range, and mine was at the top of the range. The only reasoning we could come up with was that they price less desirable dogs (older, sick) lower to increase chances of adoption.

You can call the SPCA ****ty, but I've seen a dog with Addison's disease that required $100 monthly shots and the SPCA was willing to help cover the costs.

My dog was $280 at the SPCA but I love him and he rocks! I couldn't care less about the principles of fees and pricing. If you're complaining about the initial cost, you're not ready for the long-term care.

Rescue organizations are also great, but be prepared to jump through hoops. There prices are most likely lower because they done have much overhead as the dogs are fostered at home, not a shelter building.

Also, do not get a dog during the holiday season, this is not the time of year to bring a dog into your home, and it is not a Christmas present either.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 11-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
How old was the dog you were looking at? When I got mine there was a price range, and mine was at the top of the range. The only reasoning we could come up with was that they price less desirable dogs (older, sick) lower to increase chances of adoption.

You can call the SPCA ****ty, but I've seen a dog with Addison's disease that required $100 monthly shots and the SPCA was willing to help cover the costs.

My dog was $280 at the SPCA but I love him and he rocks! I couldn't care less about the principles of fees and pricing. If you're complaining about the initial cost, you're not ready for the long-term care.

Rescue organizations are also great, but be prepared to jump through hoops. There prices are most likely lower because they done have much overhead as the dogs are fostered at home, not a shelter building.

Also, do not get a dog during the holiday season, this is not the time of year to bring a dog into your home, and it is not a Christmas present either.
Dog was about 2 yrs and was actually found wandering the street when it was picked up.

Not worried about the cost of paying for ownership or care but the principle of how they are making money. Yes I know cost have went up but when will they will need to realize people just want to help.

Speaking of the holiday season, The worker did mention this is the best time to adopt as I asked her why, she said many of these dogs will be euthanized. I don't know if it was a sales pitch or something out of the blue, but we left more confused than anyone else in there.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
Dog was about 2 yrs and was actually found wandering the street when it was picked up.

Not worried about the cost of paying for ownership or care but the principle of how they are making money. Yes I know cost have went up but when will they will need to realize people just want to help.

Speaking of the holiday season, The worker did mention this is the best time to adopt as I asked her why, she said many of these dogs will be euthanized. I don't know if it was a sales pitch or something out of the blue, but we left more confused than anyone else in there.
Adopting out during the holidays is the only thing about the SPCA I dislike.

As for cost of running the facility/organization, how can any of us really comment on it when we don't know the operating costs?

My dog was also 2 when I got him. He was taken in by a family after found stray but he "didn't get along with the fater-in-law." he has obvious signs of abuse, not sure of that was from the father-in-law or the first home.

Quick Reply: Looking for Puppy and Adoption Questions.