Looking for new TV, need expert help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by norcal22
Sony and Samsung are made in the same factory, so your basically getting the same television with either of those companies. Any korean company (LG...cough...cough) makes good stuff. My buddy works at Magnolia Hi-fi and he said you cant go wrong with any of the established brands these days...NO VIZIO! Good luck and enjoy your new tube.
Sorry, but your friend is wrong. And I'm not trying to like belittle your friend, but most people who work at Magnolia/Bestbuy are trained to believe/say certain things. They will always, always knock what they don't sell.

First, Sony and Samsung have been known to use, but not always, the same panels. Now even when they use the same panels, the TVs are very different. For nearly EVERY CFL lit TVs, the Sonys are much better. They are better in contrast (not stated contrast), better in overall sharpness, better in overall color reproduction, esp in their ability to fine tune R/G/B. Some lower end sonys are slightly yellow, but only in the bottom most line like from Walmart. Panels aside, it's a different story, The sonys have better processing. The samsung 450/550 line are not that impressive, the 650/750 CFLs are great.

In the LED field, the Samsungs are great. (other than the first generation 7000/8000 side lit LED which suffer from horrible dynamic contrast pumping). Tri-Luminous Sonys are very nice, but wow, expensive! So are the Samsungs. Too expensive for me, I'd wait for LED prices to drop.

Vizio.... what I can say, I'm a huge fan. So is the company I work for. We own about 5 of them now. They are cheap, built well, no frills and just basically great in the fundamental display of video. One thing to look out for will be the local dimming LED Vizios out this year. They will have the price, the picture and the features people are looking for in a local dimming LED TV.

One thing you must remember is that places like Magnolia/Best etc, make HUGE profits on their products. In many cases nearly 100% on televisions, and like 500% on accessories. They will do ANYTHING to make the sales, and I usually do my best to let the customers around me know that salesmen they were just talking to was lying or doesn't know what he was talking about.

I feel bad when I talk to my customers and they are ill informed, and that's why I try to let my peoples on i-club know what's really up.

Also, professional reviewers are, in many cases paid off by big companies. They also review subjectively and not objectively. CNET is a good source overall, however, some of their staff are simply incompetent. I would spend some time over at the AVS forum as well.

That being said, I don't know everything there is to know about ever TV. models change much too often, but I try to spend 30-40 minutes a month at frys/best buy/costco trying to keep up with all the new TVs, Receivers, Players so that I'm better at my job. Cause the more I know and have first hand experience, the better I can help my customers when they have a question about their players.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Unit 91
Better not be because I have a Samsung. My TV rocks.
and you're a blackhawks fan... I see our beautiful relationship sliding south everyday
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
and you're a blackhawks fan... I see our beautiful relationship sliding south everyday
Don't be sad. Every good thing comes to an end eventually. Haha.

Speaking of good things... we do need to get together for a pizza/beer/hockey night one night. Write that down.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Another tv you might want to look at is the Sony KDL-40W5100

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...&skuId=9330707

Looks like it is cheaper then the LG right now at Best Buy. (Actually looks like that tv at Best Buy is even cheaper then ordering it from Amazon right now as well).

It doesn't look like Best Buy carries the KDL-40Z5100 (40" Inch with 240Hz). That would have to be ordered from elsewhere, but it looks like it would still be in your price range if you wanted to consider it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KD...5312102&sr=8-1
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Gagan - What do you think about the Sharp Aquos & Toshiba Regza tv's?

Personally, I think the market will be moving to LED TV's more once they do the Organic LED TV's. Right now it is still in the early stages of LED so I think there is still plenty of room for improvement on those style of tv's.

Other then price is there really a good reason to go with Plasma's anymore? It seems like LCD's are on par if not better then Plasma TV's now, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Sorry, but your friend is wrong. And I'm not trying to like belittle your friend, but most people who work at Magnolia/Bestbuy are trained to believe/say certain things. They will always, always knock what they don't sell.

First, Sony and Samsung have been known to use, but not always, the same panels. Now even when they use the same panels, the TVs are very different. For nearly EVERY CFL lit TVs, the Sonys are much better. They are better in contrast (not stated contrast), better in overall sharpness, better in overall color reproduction, esp in their ability to fine tune R/G/B. Some lower end sonys are slightly yellow, but only in the bottom most line like from Walmart. Panels aside, it's a different story, The sonys have better processing. The samsung 450/550 line are not that impressive, the 650/750 CFLs are great.

In the LED field, the Samsungs are great. (other than the first generation 7000/8000 side lit LED which suffer from horrible dynamic contrast pumping). Tri-Luminous Sonys are very nice, but wow, expensive! So are the Samsungs. Too expensive for me, I'd wait for LED prices to drop.

Vizio.... what I can say, I'm a huge fan. So is the company I work for. We own about 5 of them now. They are cheap, built well, no frills and just basically great in the fundamental display of video. One thing to look out for will be the local dimming LED Vizios out this year. They will have the price, the picture and the features people are looking for in a local dimming LED TV.

One thing you must remember is that places like Magnolia/Best etc, make HUGE profits on their products. In many cases nearly 100% on televisions, and like 500% on accessories. They will do ANYTHING to make the sales, and I usually do my best to let the customers around me know that salesmen they were just talking to was lying or doesn't know what he was talking about.

I feel bad when I talk to my customers and they are ill informed, and that's why I try to let my peoples on i-club know what's really up.

Also, professional reviewers are, in many cases paid off by big companies. They also review subjectively and not objectively. CNET is a good source overall, however, some of their staff are simply incompetent. I would spend some time over at the AVS forum as well.

That being said, I don't know everything there is to know about ever TV. models change much too often, but I try to spend 30-40 minutes a month at frys/best buy/costco trying to keep up with all the new TVs, Receivers, Players so that I'm better at my job. Cause the more I know and have first hand experience, the better I can help my customers when they have a question about their players.
Good to know! I listen to what he says because he knows more than me. I personally have had nothing but bad experience with Best Buy, so I don't shop there anymore. Always open to a more experienced point of view though, thanks for the heads up
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by flukewrx
Gagan - What do you think about the Sharp Aquos & Toshiba Regza tv's?

Personally, I think the market will be moving to LED TV's more once they do the Organic LED TV's. Right now it is still in the early stages of LED so I think there is still plenty of room for improvement on those style of tv's.

Other then price is there really a good reason to go with Plasma's anymore? It seems like LCD's are on par if not better then Plasma TV's now, but I could be wrong.
Sharps has ZERO innovation in over 3 years. Steer clear.

The Toshibas have some good models from last year, but haven't seen too much this year. They seem mediocre in every way. I'd stick to Sony/Samsung LED if you have the money, or Vizio if you are strapped for cash.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I had a 42 inch Vizio that was top of the line when I got it about a year ago, and I paid $550 with shipping included. It worked perfectly and looked great up until my stupid *** broke it 2 nights ago. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one once I can spare the cash.