Looking for a good Sushi place in San Francisco ..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
I went for the second time to Sushi BOOM on Geary near the coronet theater, it is an excellent inexpensive restaurant and the food is dyno-mite!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
Hey Choku Dori, after your first review and a little research myself i came to the conclusion that Takara was the place for us. But when we finally made it to japantown the place was a mad house. Huge line (crowd) out in front. Not to mention a massive kids B day party with more than 10 yelling children. so we desided to look elsewhere. never finding what we were looking for i (reluctantly) went to Benihanna (spelling) and sat in the bar area away from the tables and ordered sushi there. i was very upset but they had a few things i enjoyed. but after downing enough saki to choke a horse everything seemed ok.

we still had a good day and i'm planning on returning to Takara someday in the near future.

thanks everyone for your imput. Especially you Choku Dori. i too have high food standards

-rich
Old 06-29-2004, 02:21 PM

Atami on Lombard in the Marina is good. IT is small and quiet and owned by a husband and wife. They have a little room towards the back with the sitting on the floor thing.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Rich, how unfortunate Sorry to hear that. I forgot to mention that it'd be wise to make reservations at Takara

If you ever want any other recommendations for food or restuarants, feel free to ask
Old 03-25-2005, 07:03 PM
VIP Member

Takara's suprememly inferior service has caused me to never go back there again. The food is still good, but they caused me to lose face in front of too many people who I consider to be important, that I'm boycotting them for life. Very unhappy...

With that, Shimo No. 2 on Taraval and about 16th has pretty good sushi. It's very fresh and portions are large without being massive a la "American"-sized sushi. Not the most hardcore authentic or traditional Japanese restaurant, it's more of a neighborhood place that's clean and simple. Fresh and unpretentious sushi, and a large enough selection to satisfy both traditionalists like me and other folks who are sushi nouveau junkies. The cooked food is tasty too, and there's a few unique items like homemade seafood croquettes.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Takara's suprememly inferior service has caused me to never go back there again. The food is still good, but they caused me to lose face in front of too many people who I consider to be important, that I'm boycotting them for life. Very unhappy...
Man, that sucks. I'd hate it if I bring friends to a favorite restaurant of mine only for it to be off their A game that day and end up looking foolish. =/
Old 03-25-2005, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx, 05 Elise, 14 Impreza, 17 brz coming soon
Originally Posted by wssboard18
Rich, you want Ebisu on 9th Ave. Hands down my favorite in the city. I could list a bunch of others but Ebisu is the shiz.
although i havent been to many in frisco, Ebisu was pretty good. My dad used to be sushi chef there many many years ago. He also worked at Tempura House (union square), and few other plaes in frisco.

ugh im hungry.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:18 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
Hana Zen on Cyril Magnin Court downtown is the only Japanese restaurant that can outdo Takara when it comes to fresh fish.
I haven't been to Hana Zen, but Takara's fish is pretty fresh. Tartare (sp?) is supposed to be the new SF hotspot for fresh sushi....haven't been there yet either, but my sister has and said it was very good but pricey. I believe the owner of Tartare used to be affiliated with Ebisu, but I'm not sure of his exact connection.

Ebisu is okay, but I've never been really blown away by their sushi. The place seems more like hype than substance, but I guess the long waits for tables and horrible parking in the area turn me off more than anything.

Kitaro is good for what you pay. The place does well with what it does and the clientele they cater to. They turn out decent food at reasonable prices to cost-conscious customers.

Fresh sushi is good and all, but IMO, it's not really worth paying crazy amounts of $$$ for it. Fortunately, most of the places in SF are pretty reasonable, but I've been to some joints in LA that were just nut$!? I like sushi, but you reach a point of diminishing returns when the price goes above $40-50/head. I'm not too fond of exotic $u$hi with truffles, etc, so I'm fine with any sushi as long as it doesn't look/taste like they slapped a Gorton's fish stick on top.

Last edited by CLsmooth71; 03-27-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:19 PM
banned

Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
Isobuni (sp?) is the only sushi place i go to in J-Town SF
i second that! its cramped though but the food is good!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
One of the best places for all around qualiity, selection and atmosphre is, no joke, Isobune in Jtown. It might not be the best in every quality, but all around its the winner to me. If you want the best quality for the cheapest price, try Sakabune on Geary and 21st. Its been a while, but on 8th near Clemen is Mamasan's is also a good deal. Sushi Tomo on the same block as Sakanbune is prolly some of the highest quality stuff in the city.... and you'll pay premium price. Goemon on Irving is also pricy, although not as bad as Sushi Tomo, but up there in quality.

When I wanna stuff myself I do go Isobune, why? They got spicy jellyfish.. and they put sharkfin in it. OMG.

jason
Old 03-27-2005, 06:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
How the hell did this thread come back. it's like 6-8 months old??

jason, spicy jellyfish with sharkfin? something i've never had. But jellyfish. man i don't know about that one.

-rich
Old 03-27-2005, 03:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
Originally Posted by bushido
i want traditional. A place with (shoeless) tatami seating etc...

there is one across the street from J-town. so sorry, i dont remember the name.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by huck
...and let's not forget Blowfish. It's damn good! Anime and sushi. All the cels on the walls are for sale too. But be prepared to pay for the atmosphere.

i 2nd that, Blowfish!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 03:10 PM
VIP Member

......-Kitaro: I don't even consider this to be a Japanese restaurant. It's a very typical Hong Kong idea of Japanese food: big, messy, unclean, and inaccurate. But cheap as hell. Reminds of a horrible place in Hung Hom, Hong Kong, called Katiga: the place gave me really bad food poisoning. Don't waste your time or money here........

the same here. KITARO SUCKS!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bushido
How the hell did this thread come back. it's like 6-8 months old??

jason, spicy jellyfish with sharkfin? something i've never had. But jellyfish. man i don't know about that one.

-rich
I resurrected it to rag on Takara. I hate them. Curse their tasty food but poopy service that makes me look stupid in front of friends and in front of i-Club

Quick Reply: Looking for a good Sushi place in San Francisco ..?