Lookin' into an Android Phone, please point me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Lookin' into an Android Phone, please point me...

in the right direction!

Looking for reviews and benefits/cons of the latest phones and discussion. Is there a website/forum that is popular and gives good reviews.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
i-club
i-phone
Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
Bionic or Razor
Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 AM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
I got the bionic and i had the original Motorola droid before that. i liked the original droid and i like the Bionic even better. I would recommend the Bionic if you are with Verizon. 4G, good screen picture, everything you'd want from an android smartphone.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
What network are you planning on using or are you currently using?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 AM

Car Info: Type 53
You can download any app you want for android if you just google the name of the app followed by APK

I've download a bunch of free apps, then bought them because I wanted to ensure that I can get all of the updates. Android and Google Contacts is a winning combination, as well as Google Music, so you have 5 Free GB of music cloud storage. You can also have 2 Free GB With drop box.

A majority of phones have a MicroSD Slot so you could have everything backed up on your card just in case if something happens.

Personally, I absolutely hate most stock android keyboards, and the ones that do have physical keyboards are usually misses in my book.

What carrier are you going with, or are you just talking Android in general? Definitely check out Phone Scoop I get lots of info from there including reviews on phones, they typically update their carriers as soon as a phone is released. The side by side comparisons will help you find the right phone.

I've been a long time PDA, Pocket PC, and smartphone user since 2003 and Android has made some really cool advancements, but you might also want to look into Windows Phones. I miss the days when Windows Mobile dominated the market, before the iPhone and Android and their interface is starting to look surprisingly sleek these days.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Also, what are you going to be using the phone for (i.e. work, personal, other)?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Originally Posted by flukewrx
What network are you planning on using or are you currently using?
This. We need to know what network you're on or planning to be on.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
The gs2 skyrocket with att is winning and with the new lte roll out you get crazy fast data, I see 35mbps and can download a full movie in minuets. If you don't like att go with the new rqzor from verizon
Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Att sucks go sprint if you wanna use data. 35 mbs down last how long? Oh not much because they start throttling you.

Yes I am an att subscriber. With a galaxy.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Sprint is also getting rid of their unlimited data plan.

Glad I'm grandfathered in to an unlimited plan with AT&T though.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
ATT: Samsung Galaxy S Rocket 4g LTE, Samsung Galaxy S2 HSPA+
Verizon: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Moto Droid RAZR, Moto Droid Bionic
Sprint: Iphone 4S

I listed majority Android phones because they are the latest tech available with many options. All of the screens are huge and are running dual core. IMO the Verizon network is perhaps the best but that's because I always have 4G LTE in my area. If you want the latest OS get the Galaxy Nexus since its running android 4.0. The other phones from ATT and VZW will get this OS in a couple of months.

If you're a Barista Hipster, get the iphone 4S from sprint and make use of their unlimited data plan while you can unless you already have an unlimited data plan with the other carriers.

If you are on Metro POS or T-mobile I suggest you switch to any of those 3.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Right now, the Samsung Galaxy series is dominating the Android market. Whether you're going with the GS2 series or the Galaxy Nexus on VZW, I believe these are the first phones that will get ICS (Galaxy Nexus came stock with it).

I have a GS2 Epic 4g touch on Sprint, and I love it. If you want basic reviews, the website noted earlier phonescoop is good, if you want forums of people discussing the ins and outs of the phone, howardforums and xda-developers have a lot of more techy stuff.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
Originally Posted by foosh
i-club
i-phone

Don't bother with the newer Android phones, sure they have dual core processors but are you seriously going to use 2.4ghz worth of processor power while texting?

That and the phones are about 1100$ new.
Personally I'd get a samsung fascinate, or any Super Amoled display phone, simply put they have the best screen resolution and the best color reproduction out there period.

I've compared the iSuck4 with my older fascinate and my fascinate's screen is still more vibrant and colorful than the iPoon.

The older samsung fascinates 1ghz processor 512 ram and DEDICATED graphics cpu run about 300$ new, or 100$ used\refurbished. New come with at least an 8gig sd card which can be expanded to 32gig for about 38$ from newegg.

Hands down for the expandable memory and screen I'd go with an android with a Super Amoled display.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by Hoofus

Don't bother with the newer Android phones, sure they have dual core processors but are you seriously going to use 2.4ghz worth of processor power while texting?
When Google Maximizes Gingerbread having the extra processor power will be needed. This is perhaps a negative towards Android phones because they keep updating.

This happened to many Moto D1 users when it was released. Froyo 7.2.2 out of the box was awesome experience. When the mandatory update came out for Gingerbread 8.2.3 the system lagged badly. It was almost impossible to text or make calls.

Quick Reply: Lookin' into an Android Phone, please point me...