lets talk about plastidip...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by DSav408
I think why a lot of plastdipped cars look like crap is, the fact that people buy 15 spray cans and think it'll come out "okay".
You're right.

Most people don't have the means to buy the kits anymore. And most people don't know how to use them and have a fear of spray guns.

They think... I can handle a spray can. But are scared of an actual spray gun.

When it's done right and it's taken care of it can be a reasonable solution in some cases. But that is by far the minority.

Even the dude with that white Z admits right away the problems he's had by being lazy and just having it on there for a year.

Same with doing a matte paint job. You take some out of the box orchard primer and spray it with a couple cases of cans it's going to look like **** (That's how the guy painted my caddy... grrrr). If you buy black paint and reduce it and add a flattener to it and prep the car and shoot it correctly it'll look a lot better.

Same essential deal... flat black. two totally different outcomes.

Same with Plasti-dip... good jobs and bad jobs. Most are bad.

But even when it's done right it will not look as good as matte black vinyl or a properly painted car. Just won't. Especially after a year.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I regard plastidiping cars or car parts as no better than a quick Krylon paint job. It's cheap and it looks cheap. With regards to both plastidip and flat vinyl (flat paint as well), in basically all colors it cheapens the look of the car because it makes it look like the owner took the car out of the shop when it was primered and waiting for paint. It reminds me of the minitruck scene where many of them are "temporarily" primered for years because they can't afford paint. Flat white would be the only color exception I can think of to that rule, but that color just color just makes it look like the car's paint has faded because it was not taken care of.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Spraying the plastidip with a decent sprayer is a very large part of how the finish comes out. They actually make gloss plastidip now too, you can even spray it on as a clear coating for your stock paint. I am a huge fan of flat \ satin colors, I'm not too big on flat black but satin black looks like sex.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Sounds like a good option for people with cars that are worth less than a new paint job.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i was thinking of flat pink... er... subaru cherry red.

or still wanting that caltrans orange.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by code3suby
Spraying the plastidip with a decent sprayer is a very large part of how the finish comes out. They actually make gloss plastidip now too, you can even spray it on as a clear coating for your stock paint. I am a huge fan of flat \ satin colors, I'm not too big on flat black but satin black looks like sex.
never seen the clear coating for the stock paint... interesting.

The glorifier they do kind of scares me. Cool for small stuff but seems like it would be way to plasticy for large surfaces.

I like satin metallics. I might be doing that on my caddy until I can afford to have the car gone over with a fine tooth to smooth it out and run a dark gloss burgundy on it. Satin hides a lot of little imperfections.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
FYI, "that white Z" = old iClub member - WRXFTW (his old car was V8 ROFL). He's local to Sac but I haven't seen the car around in a while. He works for my neighbor, I'll ask him how the car looks in person.

I did the cans of plastidip for small stuff, like the grill bars on my truck. Looks good, gives a nice finish, cleans up easy, seems pretty durable, and I won't stress too much about redoing it every year or two, but one day of leaving muddy water on it left me with light spots/lines I couldn't get out. Still better than rattlecan paint, though.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by sybir
FYI, "that white Z" = old iClub member - WRXFTW (his old car was V8 ROFL). He's local to Sac but I haven't seen the car around in a while. He works for my neighbor, I'll ask him how the car looks in person.

I did the cans of plastidip for small stuff, like the grill bars on my truck. Looks good, gives a nice finish, cleans up easy, seems pretty durable, and I won't stress too much about redoing it every year or two, but one day of leaving muddy water on it left me with light spots/lines I couldn't get out. Still better than rattlecan paint, though.
See but for stuff like that you can peel and it redo it in an hour or so and still not go through a whole can. So no big deal... makes sense.

Stains like that on my whole car would drive me nuts. Bad enough I have to stare at a dirty clear bra all the time. I'd hate it if it was my whole car.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
With you on all counts. Love my clear bra - hate what they look like on white cars though.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by sybir
With you on all counts. Love my clear bra - hate what they look like on white cars though.
Who has a white car.... THIS GUY!

I tell you what... Jeremy's material is awesome. It's held up really well. I've had it on there for like 8 years. It's starting to shrink and show it's age but It's held up really well. When it's clean it's tough to see.

The only problem right now is that the shrinkage left a ring of adhesive which is now a brown glue stain. If I spend the hours it's gonna take to clean it out it'll be just fine. It's actually not toooo bad. LOL! I'm glad I did it.

But it does need to be done again. Between shrinkage and peeling edges it's toast.

I'd have it redone but I might be selling the car pretty soon here. At this point I'll either just remove it or put money in to a full vinyl wrap... Sell it.. peel it. Keep it... wrap it. LOL!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
My friend Plastidipped some parts of his 21ft Yamaha boat. It came out okay, but who knows how it will hold up long term.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I plastidipped my friends wheels and they turned out pretty good. The fact that you can just peel it off when your done is awesome.

I read somewhere that people would spray the front of their car with plastidip, go on a road trip and then peel it off to prevent damage from rocks and bug spatters.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
in my opinion plastidip and daily driven car don't go together.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
I think plastidip is good for smaller projects, such as wheels, but anything bigger, is going to be a PITA unless you know how to cover large areas with equal coats.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Wouldnt plastidipped rims be a pita to keep clean? I would think brake dust would stick to that rubber coating like crazy

Quick Reply: lets talk about plastidip...