Leonid Meteor Shower

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Leonid Meteor Shower

anyone know anything about this? Best places in southbay to watch it (preferably with a fun drive proceeding the watching spot )

I'm thinking of going up 9 and watching at the lookout point on skyline, but I realize therre may be a ton of people there.

anyway... What you guys got?

ps sorry about bad spelling/grammar, I'm on my phone.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention is that I'm concerned about light pollution ruining the view. How high up do you guys think I should be?

Last edited by danielliez; 11-14-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'm going to head up Mt. Hammy with my camera like I did for the last one. Anywhere you can get a good view there are going to be tons of people.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
hmm when is it? care if i join you mbasile?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:23 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
hmm when is it? care if i join you mbasile?
I believe it is Tuesday night, or maybe Monday? I'll do some more reading on it and figure out when I'm going to go out. The only light pollution we had last time was from the moon. Luckily this time the moon phase will have just begun the night before, so there will be very little moon light.

The only thing I ask is: NO ****ING FLASHLIGHTS. Many 9 minute exposures got ruined last time because people were playing with flashlights.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:33 PM

peak hrs are monday night, 11 PM to 4 AM. There is a fb event page for it, and I believe aink to a website on that page.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
i thought it was tuesday night into wednesday morning.

nevermind.

The next meteor shower is the Leonids on November 17-18. The shower will peak in the predawn hours of November 17.
when is everyone going? do you have to go to the top of mt. hamilton or there's some where midway that you can park?

Last edited by JZ oo7; 11-14-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
i thought it was tuesday night into wednesday morning.
Stardate.org says, you sir are correct
Leonids November 17/18 New Moon
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
when is everyone going? do you have to go to the top of mt. hamilton or there's some where midway that you can park?
I'll be out Tuesday night, not sure of the time. Last time we parked just beyond the old Mt Hammy Meet park and walked onto a little trail. Let me know if you're going to come down for it and I'll PM you my number.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 11-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:52 PM
VIP Member

Hmm, this is from National Geographic. 11PM on the 17th seems closer to the peak than 2AM on the 17th, so I'll probably still be out there the night of the 17th. The peak is just the peak, doesn't mean there wont be ANY.

During the 2009 Leonid meteor shower, you may see anywhere from 30 to 300 shooting stars an hour, depending on whether you're in the right place to see the showy peak on November 17, experts predict.

With the highest number of meteors streaking across the skies around 4:45 p.m. ET, the Leonids peak will be effectively invisible for viewers in North America and Europe.

In those regions, sky-watchers are advised to venture out away from bright city lights between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. on the 17th, when they should see 30 to 50 meteors an hour.
meteorshowersonline.com
The Leonids generally begin on November 13 and end on November 21, with maximum generally occurring during the night of Novemer 17/18

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 11-14-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned Wagon ;)
im heading up to my cabin..best place..that or hollister is dark as hell
Old 11-14-2009, 10:17 PM

This is where I originally saw the Monday night/ Tuesday morning time frame: http://www.facebook.com/events.php#/...901871&index=1

Granted, it is a FB page so not a lot of credibility. It sounds like you could probably go out either night and see them.

I'm thinking of going up in the Milpitas foothills. Do you guys think that would be high enough to see anything or would there still be too much light pollution at that low of an elevation? I have no idea how bright they are going to be so I'm not sure how to figure out how far away from the city I need to go to see them.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by danielliez
This is where I originally saw the Monday night/ Tuesday morning time frame: http://www.facebook.com/events.php#/...901871&index=1

Granted, it is a FB page so not a lot of credibility. It sounds like you could probably go out either night and see them.

I'm thinking of going up in the Milpitas foothills. Do you guys think that would be high enough to see anything or would there still be too much light pollution at that low of an elevation? I have no idea how bright they are going to be so I'm not sure how to figure out how far away from the city I need to go to see them.
just come up to mt hammy. last time we could see plenty of meteors WITH a full moon.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
just come up to mt hammy. last time we could see plenty of meteors WITH a full moon.
How far is it? (time)
Not sure I wanna go with a big group, but mehhhhbeeee.

EDIT: Thank you google maps! 50 min?! Really?!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:40 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by danielliez
How far is it? (time)
Not sure I wanna go with a big group, but mehhhhbeeee.

EDIT: Thank you google maps! 50 min?! Really?!
I don't remember it taking that long to get out there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...9&ie=UTF8&z=11

I placed the marker where we were last time, and where I'll be this time. I'm not going to meet people at the bottom like I did last time though. I'm not trying to get a big group together, whoever wants to come can come though.

Oh, and people, I will have had classes from 8-5 on Tuesday, and will be facing the same schedule on Wednesday, so please don't post any of that "I don't know if I should go because I have to be up at X:XX" crap.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 11-15-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
my S2K crew actually has a meet set up for this tonight - I think we're doing Hammy too lol
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 12 STi
okay, i am still brain dead from the travel... is it tonight or tomorrow night the peak?

Quick Reply: Leonid Meteor Shower