Legal? Tinting, and side markers..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by Heavy Dan
yeah , read them before... but some times whats written isn't how it really is. Even my mom got a ticket for illegal tinting on her car... and she bought the car that way.
You get a ticked for it, then you contest it. If its pretty plane and you have documentation, you will win. Don't be an *** to law enforcement or to a judge and you won't have a problem. Everyone isn't out to get you.

jason
Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 White WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by mmboost
That's what I thought... thanks.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
are sidemarkers considered turn signals?!

25102. In addition to the lamps otherwise permitted by this chapter, any motor vehicle may be equipped with lamps on the sides thereof, visible from the side of the vehicle but not from the front or rear thereof, which lamps, together with mountings or receptacles, shall be set into depressions or recesses in the body of the vehicle and shall not protrude beyond or outside the body of the vehicle. The light source in each of the lamps shall not exceed two candlepower and shall emit diffused light of any color, except that the color red is permitted only on authorized emergency vehicles.

Side, Cowl, or Fender Lamps

25106. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with lighted white or amber cowl or fender lamps on the front. Any vehicle may be equipped with not more than one amber side lamp on each side near the front, nor more than one red side lamp on each side near the rear. The light source of each such lamp shall not exceed four standard candlepower.

(b) Lamps meeting requirements established by the department for side-marker or combination clearance and side-marker lamps may be installed on the sides of vehicles at any location, but any lamp installed within 24 inches of the rear of the vehicle shall be red, and any lamp installed at any other location shall be amber.

took me about 45 seconds to find this.

jason
Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I'm very sure that in CA it's illegal to tint the front windows and it's only legal to do a visor strip on the top of the windshield. I don't know about the side markers. The back windows have no limit though.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
um... if omega is correct... then what you stated is illegal... they say max 30% tint on front

no crap.

But 50% is light enough that they don't bother you because they can see you through it. I mean if you are in a heavily modified vehicle. speeding or racing or doing something stupid or being a ***** when you get pulled over...they'll find everything they can to ticket you for it. But in general I find they don't bother you for it.

I have 35% which is DARKER than 50% and I'm fine. I worry more about no front plate than I do about my tints.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:53 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
i got a fix it ticket for that when i had my teg. Any tint on the front at all and they'll get ya or at least pull you over and get you for other stuff.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by killaho
i got a fix it ticket for that when i had my teg. Any tint on the front at all and they'll get ya or at least pull you over and get you for other stuff.

what did your teg look like?

I had a 97 civic. No rice crap but it did have 17's and si front lip on it. No huge exhaust but it was loud/loppy. Cammed. Strait exhaust.

I got something like 15 tickets in a 6 month time frame in that car. got pulled over by 3 cop cars once in fremont. They gave me as many tickets as they could fit on one ticket. didn't say one word about the front windows.

Got nailed several times for no front plate.

My wagon. Same tint. Black interior white car. Very noticeable. I have driven right next to more police than I can count. No issues. Shoot I pulled up on one at bay street last week doing close to 60 in a 35. Drove by. nothing.

guess it's luck personal experience...etc.

But if you want to stay legal. go no tint...or very very very light tint. 70%. You can get UV tint that doesn't barely tint darkness at all.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
While it IS illegal, I've had 35% on the front two windows since '97 or so. 20% on the rear 5 windows. I've never been questioned about it, even when pulled over for other infractions. I think I'd even consider doing 20% on all seven next time, but it depends on the car. My little Legacy turbo wagon doesn't attract much attention from the police, but it probably helps living in Oakland where there's other **** to do than pick on us car guys

-Brian
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
what about modifying the dark strip of tint on the upper side of your windsheild ( the tint that sheilds you from the sun ) -- would this be illegal too?