Legal? Tinting, and side markers..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
Legal? Tinting, and side markers..

And so the debate continues....

Is it legal to tint the front door windows and windshielf of your car and if so, how much. I searched through the forum and found that cops have said it's illegal and tint places say that it's legal (yeah... that's a shock, eh!?). If it is illegal, how much is legal? Has anyone gotten a ticket for not much tinting, etc.

Side markers. I hear that it is illegal to even change the color of your side markers. When I was buying CF side markers for a 350z, it said that using them is illegal... but i'm sceptic.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
illegal.

you cant have any ont he front windows or windshield
Old 01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
i think the legal tint is somewhere around like 80% (not exactly sure on the number)

basically its a worthless tint job its so light.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:10 AM

omega says:
CALIFORNIA CODES

California

Visor..................4"

Front doors.....70%(clear)

Rear doors...........Any

Back window..............Any

but... i thought i heard it is illegal.... maybe it's not illegal per se, but is a fix it ticket?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
Nope. For the front the front window you can have tinting, just not the whole of the windshield. As I recall you can tint from the top of the windshield down to the point where it's 28 inches above the driver's seat. I'll have to reread that section of the vehicle code to be sure. I'll post later or someone else can look it up.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 White WRX Wagon
DMV's interpretation.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708_5.htm

And on a safety note: I want to see the driver's eyes through the front side windows. Eye contact = best form of communication.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:17 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
OMEGA's information is correct.

I have the 35 tint on my front windows..have since 99....including on my heavily ticketed civic..never once have I had a problem.

I'd say your safest bet is not to go quite that dark...like got 50 or something. But I find that as long as it's a grade lighter than the rest of the car, you're ok. But that's just me. I run 20 on all windows except the front 2...those get 35.

Safe and very clean set up is. 35 everywhere. 50 on the front.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
OMEGA's information is correct.

I have the 35 tint on my front windows..have since 99....including on my heavily ticketed civic..never once have I had a problem.

I'd say your safest bet is not to go quite that dark...like got 50 or something. But I find that as long as it's a grade lighter than the rest of the car, you're ok. But that's just me. I run 20 on all windows except the front 2...those get 35.

Safe and very clean set up is. 35 everywhere. 50 on the front.

um... if omega is correct... then what you stated is illegal... they say max 30% tint on front
Old 01-06-2005, 11:21 AM

what about side markers!?

btw... my real concern is getting pulled over... i don't have time to deal with courts to prove that my car is illegal... and who knows how many dead bodies I'll have in my trunk when i get pulled over.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by Damon
DMV's interpretation.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708_5.htm

And on a safety note: I want to see the driver's eyes through the front side windows. Eye contact = best form of communication.
That's only a small part of the story, what you want is this:

26708d

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

The debate is over.

jason
Old 01-06-2005, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Heavy Dan
what about side markers!?

btw... my real concern is getting pulled over... i don't have time to deal with courts to prove that my car is illegal... and who knows how many dead bodies I'll have in my trunk when i get pulled over.
24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

(c) In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.

(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light.

Get used to reading Division 12 of the CVC. Its not hard.

jason
Old 01-06-2005, 11:35 AM

yeah , read them before... but some times whats written isn't how it really is. Even my mom got a ticket for illegal tinting on her car... and she bought the car that way.

Originally Posted by mmboost
24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

(c) In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.

(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light.

jason
Old 01-06-2005, 11:36 AM

are sidemarkers considered turn signals?!

QUOTE=mmboost]24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

jason[/QUOTE]
Old 01-06-2005, 11:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 White WRX Wagon
mboost: did you get that info off the DMV's site or some other resource.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Damon
mboost: did you get that info off the DMV's site or some other resource.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

Quick Reply: Legal? Tinting, and side markers..