Legal question (aka I got a ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:59 PM

I use my cell phone time. My subie's clock gains about 4 minutes a month, so I can't rely on that. Given that the phone gets its clock from the network, it should be reasonably accurate.

- I guess this doesn't help if the cop's watch is off, but I think a judge would believe a cell phone over a watch.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:26 AM

huckleberry
you sill dawg, no tickets for like 10 years, then 2 in 2 months
Old 10-21-2003, 12:27 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
kinda curious to see how this one ends up
Old 10-21-2003, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
I'm going to attempt the "I haven't had a moving violation in over 10 years and would never purposefully try and break the law" approach.

"I drive this same route every day. Some days I carpool, because I care about our environment, judge. On this particular day my carpooler was busy and so I was driving solo. I waited until 8:30am and then pulled into the carpool lane. I passed the officer about 15 seconds after I had pulled into the lane. He pulled in behind me and motioned with 2 fingers in the air. I looked down, double checked the time, now 8:31. The officer then signalled for me to pull over I showed my watch to the officer, asking why I was pulled over... Judge, I am stunned that the US system of law is going to fine me $271 for, what the officer argues, is a difference of 6 minutes"
Old 10-21-2003, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Soya, thanks for the input. Yes, I was actually being dramatic. I've spent more than my fair share of time inside a courtroom. Unfortunately, not on the good side of the room. But I know I would never actually try and pull sarcasm or dramatize anything to a judge.

Your points are valid. Wether it's 8:26 am or 8:29 am, it is in fact still illegal.

Now do I need to prove that my watch was correct and the officer's was incorrect or is it enough to just create doubt on the accuracy of his watch? I highly doubt that CHP officers "calibrate" their watches. If he drove a sedan I know he would have a laptop at his disposal that is probably synched to the main office and that it is also synched to an atomic clock or something similar. But this officer was driving a motorcycle and motioned to his watch when we were discussing what time it was. I'm hoping the judge will just throw the case out but I need a semi-good argument to back me up. If nothing else, I could get the fine reduced.

And no, you weren't too harsh. I knew there was a lawyer floating around on these forums somewhere....
Old 10-21-2003, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
3 important points:

- my coworker asks (who currently has a point just about to come off ) "Is it worth fighting?" That is, will this put a moving violation point on your record that will raise your insurance rates enough over the next 3 years to drastically cost more than the CP lane violation of $271?

- Its a he-said-he-said thing. The State has no burden of proof. You're guilty until you can prove yourself innocent, as Soya said, by casting doubt on the cop... which you can't. I think the only way to do this would've been to take a picture of the cop holding your watch Goddamn, how does this happen in a land that has the US Constitution. What the hell

- Like people said, the cop has more accurate timekeeping gadgets than you do. In "Reality" you broke the law. However unintentional, its a fact. You're not going to court to argue your case, you're trying to argue for mercy. And here's where I really agree with Soya. Its not a murder trial and there were no special circumstances... if you had an injured person or a lady giving birth, the judge would probabaly laugh at the cop and let you off. But you made a mistake, however innocently and now the state wants your paycheck.

jason

Last edited by mmboost; 10-21-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Bastahds. And no, for what ever reason, there is no point associated with this. Now that I find strange.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Wrong. Fighting a non-moving violation does not result in getting a moving violation. Find out what your co-worker smokes, then tell me where to get it.

You either win, or you lose and either have to pay $$$ or do community service hours.

Back in H.S., I had a contact who would write-off tons of community service hours, so I never had to pay a dime!

Originally posted by mmboost
- my coworker asks (who currently has a point just about to come off ) "Is it worth fighting?" That is, will this put a moving violation point on your record that will raise your insurance rates enough over the next 3 years to drastically cost more than the CP lane violation of $271? - jason
Old 10-21-2003, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Thank you Soya!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:25 PM

i would have punched the cop and stole his jacket
and his flak jacket

Quick Reply: Legal question (aka I got a ticket)