it is legal to change clusters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
it is legal to change clusters?

Hey guys,

I'm assuming that mileage is stored on the gauge cluster and so when people switch em, they would see the actual mileage of that particular car. If so, it would seem like people could just buy a cluster, rack up a ton of mileage, then switch back to the low mileage stock one... Care to shed some light on?
Thanks.

-jeffrey
Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
iirc, you have to get it adjusted to your current milage.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I don't know about WRX', but the RS stored the miles in the gauge cluster ONLY... if you swapped it you have to notify the DMV and tell them your milage (I think they inspect your old gauge cluster milage) or something like that... Otherwise it's odometer fraud.

I can't remember how the process goes, but its something like that. I can't remember if you have to tell the DMV or if you have to do it through Subaru... I think they need to install it too... Again, this is going off info from about 8 years ago, so I might be a bit off.

But yeah, you can't change it without notifying someone... sorry, not being much help here.

(And remember, this is in terms of legality... swapping clusters is a cinch. )
Old 05-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
it is stored on the cluster only in the wrx and sti also...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by escaflowne
If so, it would seem like people could just buy a cluster, rack up a ton of mileage, then switch back to the low mileage stock one...-jeffrey
Odometer fraud is nothing new (it was easier before digital odometers) which is why looking for a full service history is essential in buying a used car. If the service records show a regular progression of mileage/date/work performed, this is a good thing.

As mentioned, there are legal ways to change out the cluster. If you put in a new odometer, this should be logged with the DMV and the date/previous mileage will also be recorded.

When you sell your car, there is a box for mileage on the form. IIRC, it is not mandatory to fill it in, but it is a good thing to do for the next purchaser - particularly if the car is re-sold via a car lot.