Law Enforcement Officers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013 | 01:10 AM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
Law Enforcement Officers

Hey guys,

Need some help from fellow officers, or those who have been through the process.

I have my oral board interview (they call it appraisal interview) with Orange Police Department down south next week. I'm actually excited for it, but I'm also a bit nervous at the same time. The only other time that I've had an oral board interview related to law enforcement was when I applied to become a cadet at SJSU but was ultimately rejected because I had less than 2 years left at school.

Anyways, my ultimate question is...what kinds of questions should I expect? They told me to do research on the department (basically look at the information that's listed on the department website...command structure, chief, etc). Although that is a given, what other things should I prepare for?

Much thanks!
Old 06-03-2013 | 05:53 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I've heard these interviews are pretty similar for fire.

Something I need to do more is talk more about the JOB itself and nothing else. Try not to deviate from the actual subject with filler. Basically all you do is sell yourself that you want to work there for the rest of your life.
Old 06-03-2013 | 06:11 AM

So, it sounds like I should be expecting some more questions along the lines of basic interview questions...a few scenario questions how i would handle things, why they should hire me, where I see myself in 10 years, strengths/weaknesses, what have i done to prepare myself for this field, etc?
Old 06-03-2013 | 06:32 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI Limited and 1998 Legacy GT Wagon
You'll have scenario questions and ethical questions. Also a lot of questions about you and your life. Just be honest, that's all it takes.
Old 06-03-2013 | 06:49 AM

Can you be a little more specific about my personal questions? Stuff like, how my friends see me? My communication skills? Associations? Social life?
Old 06-03-2013 | 08:01 AM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
I have a close friend that got hired for SJPD a year ago. He mentioned there was a polygraph test with some crazy *** questions lol. Did you do that yet?
Old 06-03-2013 | 08:47 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
I would probably send Nation a PM
Old 06-03-2013 | 08:51 AM

Car Info: 2008 specB
A buddy if mine just went thru the process with a local department, more scenario questions than expected. Have personal info ready, but don't spend all your time on it.

Make sure you have a good closing statement and/or a question or two when they ask, 'Do you have any questions for us?" or "is there anything you'd like to add?"

Recommend you write (not type) all your answers down and re-read/rewrite as you prep. It'll make you answers a bit more polished and they'll be easier to remember cuz you've redone them at least a few times.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2013 | 10:01 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Honestly... the interview process is the part you should be the most relaxed for.

All they want is the truth. Do NOT try to answer with the "correct" answer. Just be honest and use your best judgement. They want honest trust worth and rational people. The rest they can train in to you (reactions, situational awareness, etc.)

Good luck. Tough going getting a job right now. My buddy has been trying for 3 years. I gave up.
Old 06-03-2013 | 10:04 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by SolSurferX
A buddy if mine just went thru the process with a local department, more scenario questions than expected. Have personal info ready, but don't spend all your time on it.

Make sure you have a good closing statement and/or a question or two when they ask, 'Do you have any questions for us?" or "is there anything you'd like to add?"

Recommend you write (not type) all your answers down and re-read/rewrite as you prep. It'll make you answers a bit more polished and they'll be easier to remember cuz you've redone them at least a few times.

Good luck!
That is a big thing right there... the close of the interview. The questions and your awareness of their department. I'd read up on the department and the county itself some. Be aware of the kind of issues the OC faces... they're different than ours. (I've lived in both).

And writing is huge... the mechanical act of writing helps you remember what your doing... I think it's a huge downfall in the trend of our education system to eliminate paper and pencil interaction.
Old 06-03-2013 | 10:49 AM

Car Info: Toyota pickup, Tuono, '62 Mini
When you get into the interview, just tell them that you want to be in law enforcement your whole life, or until you're 50 and can get an outrageously high pension.

Tell them that in your childhood you were a bully and want to take it up another level or that you were always the one being bullied and this would be a nice chance to get everyone back.

Tell them you have a detailed knowledge of our state's voluminous law code but little understanding of the Bill of Rights.

Tell them you like punishing people who have harmed no one.

Tell them you enjoy punishing people for doing things you have done throughout your life.

Tell them you like telling grown adults what to do.

Tell them you are addicted to power.

Tell them you abhor oversite.

Tell them you think you're better than non-LEO's.

Tell them you think the world would fall apart if it wasn't for police, despite them being a relatively recent invention.

Tell them that increased militarization of the police can only help make this country freer.

Tell them that you want to make a difference.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2013 | 11:05 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
^ lol wut
Old 06-03-2013 | 11:10 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Joe250
When you get into the interview, just tell them that you want to be in law enforcement your whole life, or until you're 50 and can get an outrageously high pension.

Tell them that in your childhood you were a bully and want to take it up another level or that you were always the one being bullied and this would be a nice chance to get everyone back.

Tell them you have a detailed knowledge of our state's voluminous law code but little understanding of the Bill of Rights.

Tell them you enjoy punishing people for doing things you have done throughout your life.

Tell them you think the world would fall apart if it wasn't for police, despite them being a relatively recent invention.

Tell them that increased militarization of the police can only help make this country freer.

Good luck!
Joe... Tell us how you really feel!

Old 06-03-2013 | 11:21 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
I would probably send Nation a PM
Hahahaha good luck with that, he owes me parts from february, I paypaled him and he never sent the part...said he was busy a few times but hasn't pm'ed or emailed back in at least two-three months
Old 06-03-2013 | 11:25 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Joe250

Good luck!

wow... someone has no comprehension of the police department, law vs. lawlessness and society in general in 2013 (not 1685).

Including the "militarization" of said department.

Quick Reply: Law Enforcement Officers