law about openig your hood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Sounds like we're getting only part of that story

jason
Old 09-05-2003, 11:21 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally posted by mmboost
Sounds like we're getting only part of that story

jason
No really, we both had security clearances and he lost his job. He couldn't convince the judge that he was telling the truth - his wife left him over it.

I think the reason he was pulled over initally was because the cops recognized the car. Not many BMW 535 series in Satellite Beach, Florida.

He and I and everyone that worked at the Kennedy Space Center went through random drug tests etc. I am Certain he wasn't doing Hash or marijuana or anything else.

He first lost his security clearance (temporarily suspended) - this happens often - and he was given non secure duties but when he accepted the prosecutions offer of parole instead of a trial - he was terminated.

He went (this was back in 1990) from making around $50K a year to installing Motorola radios for $8/hour. I don't know what finally happened to him, but he shouldn't have singed that permission to search.

I do have one more note - when the cops pulled him over it was around 1AM, he told me they did ask several times to let them search before he agreed because they looked ready to sit there all night with him until he signed.

He might have had a previous DUI/DWI, but nothing that precluded him from having an active security clearance.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by AntiochCali
No really, we both had security clearances and he lost his job. He couldn't convince the judge that he was telling the truth - his wife left him over it.

I think the reason he was pulled over initally was because the cops recognized the car. Not many BMW 535 series in Satellite Beach, Florida.

He and I and everyone that worked at the Kennedy Space Center went through random drug tests etc. I am Certain he wasn't doing Hash or marijuana or anything else.

He first lost his security clearance (temporarily suspended) - this happens often - and he was given non secure duties but when he accepted the prosecutions offer of parole instead of a trial - he was terminated.

He went (this was back in 1990) from making around $50K a year to installing Motorola radios for $8/hour. I don't know what finally happened to him, but he shouldn't have singed that permission to search.

I do have one more note - when the cops pulled him over it was around 1AM, he told me they did ask several times to let them search before he agreed because they looked ready to sit there all night with him until he signed.

He might have had a previous DUI/DWI, but nothing that precluded him from having an active security clearance.

I've seen it happen before with people that had "Q" level clearances (the highest military clearance) when i was stationed in Ft.Bragg, NC. Different circumstances of course but if you **** in the wind with a high clearance you're screwed. You really have to watch your back

I had a secret clearance which is moderate at best compared to "Q" and i got pissed tested once a week and searched all the time. It wouldn't be uncommon for the CID to be in my room at 2am with dogs. Let's just say i saw a few people go down and YES POPPY SEED WILL MAKE YOU **** HOT if you happen to get them all the time in your MRE's but that's a different story.

But hey... there's was no such thing as probable cause in the military so just don't screw up to begin with and get CARB stickers etc. You drive at your own risk and most of the cops out there will eventually get their way.

EDIT" i really don't mean to be an a$$ but it's true. You're the one that threw on the CAI and turboback so deal with it and don't get all bent out of shape when they put your car on the floor jacks!
Sorry california Blows when it comes to the vehicle code but that's the way it is...unless they pass laws otherwise YOU know the law(s) so it's all on your shoulders

eric

Last edited by Salty; 09-05-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:45 PM

The big question here is...how likely is it for a cop to go through the trouble of getting a search warrant if he's just trying to nail you for an aftermarket intake?

Seriously?

Maybe if you're an *** and mouth off about his family, but if you just say "No thank you, Officer. I would prefer not to surrender my rights," very respectfully, I'd think the worst they would do is write you up for it anyways and hope you pay it...it's not like you're DUI or anything...

This is of course assuming you haven't recently purchased a used car from a drug lord or mafia kingpin...
Old 09-05-2003, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Sisqocqk

what you said, is sad but true......

BTW: yes, the truth hurts....so next time try to be alittle less straight forward with you comments....

edgar
Old 09-05-2003, 12:57 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
I would think it would be pretty funny for them to go through all the hastle of getting the warrant, then pop your hood to see its 100% completly stock
Old 09-05-2003, 01:06 PM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
HAHA yea im 24, my girl is 23 btw i know i look young, its been the bain of my exsistence...i still get carded for cigarettes. at any rate you could say that im a federal police officer, thats what i do when you boil it all down, but my job is just mostly paperwork. i did my time on the road, but now i got me a nice cushy desk job doin investigative reportive work and like menial stuff like ticket filing. kinda boring but im not doin leg work anymore

josh
Old 09-05-2003, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally posted by Scott@S-Squared
I would think it would be pretty funny for them to go through all the hastle of getting the warrant, then pop your hood to see its 100% completly stock
That's what I'm sayin. I love when cops roll by me and are checkin my car for illegal stuff. I get em all the tmie looking at my front bumper to make sure my plates are there..they're just looking for ANY reason to stop me. I'd love for them to pop my hood thinking they were going to bust me on something, and then laugh my *** off at them when it's all factory
Old 09-05-2003, 01:22 PM

Car Info: '01 GM6 Coupe Blue Ridge Pearl
That is of course the perfect time to tell them you don't want a search.. when there's absolutely nothing wrong.

I'm not legalese or anythinng, but it would never, ever hold up in court that refusing to allow a search would constitute admission to guilt.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Darwin
That is of course the perfect time to tell them you don't want a search.. when there's absolutely nothing wrong.

I'm not legalese or anythinng, but it would never, ever hold up in court that refusing to allow a search would constitute admission to guilt.
Right, and you have to keep them on your toes, because if everyone simply gave up their rights because "they had nothing to hide," we're eventually gonna lose those rights under that same assumption.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by sonicsuby
That's what I'm sayin. I love when cops roll by me and are checkin my car for illegal stuff. I get em all the tmie looking at my front bumper to make sure my plates are there..they're just looking for ANY reason to stop me. I'd love for them to pop my hood thinking they were going to bust me on something, and then laugh my *** off at them when it's all factory
I think someone should do this. RICE out their car. Slam it, put lots of stickers on it, nice rims, HUGE wing, body kit and so on WITH NO ENGINE MODS. Than drive to DC or Pacifica or SSF and wait till a cop pulls you over for no front plates. (have the plates in the trunk so when he pulls you over take them out and put them on.) Since he'll see all the stickers and the huge wing and so on he would want you to open the hood. Than you refuse. Wait till he get a warrant and than laugh at him. Man I wish I had time to kill I would do it.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by zumnwrx
what you said, is sad but true......

BTW: yes, the truth hurts....so next time try to be alittle less straight forward with you comments....

edgar
Ohhh no he didn't
Old 09-05-2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I think someone should do this. RICE out their car. Slam it, put lots of stickers on it, nice rims, HUGE wing, body kit and so on WITH NO ENGINE MODS. Than drive to DC or Pacifica or SSF and wait till a cop pulls you over for no front plates. (have the plates in the trunk so when he pulls you over take them out and put them on.) Since he'll see all the stickers and the huge wing and so on he would want you to open the hood. Than you refuse. Wait till he get a warrant and than laugh at him. Man I wish I had time to kill I would do it.
Not to rain on the parade, but if you did that, you would get so owned. They'll still be able to write you up for the plate, and cops know every trick in the vehicle codebook - at least all the ones that let them write you up for this or that minor infraction. They get hassled and heckled so much in a normal day that they've got to know ways to wipe that smug grin off your face
Old 09-05-2003, 03:35 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Re: Re: law about openig your hood?

Originally posted by Sisqocqk
Sonicsuby is right. But if you refuse for them to look under the hood then they automatically know you're guilt. At this point they can "call-in" a warrant which takes a few minutes and then search the car. All they have to do is call the Judge they have waiting on stand-by back at the courthouse. If they really want to search the car they'll find some way to impound the car and search it later so either way you're screwed.

Just pray that while you're pulled over something more important comes up on there radio or that there shift is about to end.

eric
Im pretty sure they cannot get a warrant becuse you refuse the request to search your car. That is not probable cause.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:39 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Federal Cop? How about a cookie cop? MP's are kinda Federal I guess you could say.

Sisqocqk:

TS SCI (Top Secret Secured Compartmental Information) is the highest clearance we can have in the service. I am not familiar with the Q clearance.

Quick Reply: law about openig your hood?