Laser eye surgery

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I'm surprised you could see after the surgery =\ i was a bat for days
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
Hm this makes me want to get my eyes done but the doctors advised me to wait until I was at least 25 and my prescription has stayed the same for 2+ years. I really hate glasses and contacts.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by PROcede
Hm this makes me want to get my eyes done but the doctors advised me to wait until I was at least 25 and my prescription has stayed the same for 2+ years. I really hate glasses and contacts.
I would advise waiting for your eyes to stabilize as well, no point getting lasik if you eyes aren't stabilized, you would lose your 20/20 vision fast

Sent from my Nexus 4 using i-Club
Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
I can never muster the ***** to talk to the doctor about this. I should do it, even if just to be less nearsighted than 9 diopters or whatever my terribad vision is. half inch thick "featherweight lenses" and such.

I don't mind wearing glasses, I mean I've had to since I was 4, not like I've known much else, but sometimes it'd be nice not to have to be quite so dependent.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Girlfriend did it a few years back before I knew her. Claims it was the best 5k she ever spent. Never hurts to get a consultation and see what kind of risks/options there are. I think they've gone down in prices now too.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
One of the best ways to spend your money IMO. I had it done on both eyes a few years ago and its been absolutely awesome to never have to worry about contacts and glasses. I had pretty severe astigmatism and now I can see better than 20/20. A little discomfort for a few days, and about 6 months of consciously avoiding touching/rubbing my eyes were the only downsides. Very well worth it!

-- Ed
Old 06-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by PROcede
Yep that's the same issue for me.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy GT
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
One of the best ways to spend your money IMO. I had it done on both eyes a few years ago and its been absolutely awesome to never have to worry about contacts and glasses. I had pretty severe astigmatism and now I can see better than 20/20. A little discomfort for a few days, and about 6 months of consciously avoiding touching/rubbing my eyes were the only downsides. Very well worth it!

-- Ed
I was waiting for someone to talk about astigmatism, I have very high astigmatism as well (glasses and contacts are all custom done because of this). How much did this cost you?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I've done both Lasik and PRK
Both operations were cake... like it's more uncomfortable to have your teeth cleaned at the dentist.

Results are undeniable - I went from Far Sighted with astigmatism (meaning I could not see anything well) to 20-20 vision. After a couple of years, my left eye changed and I went back in for PRK (free).

Lasik involves cutting the cornea and working on the inside of the eye. PRK is work on the surface of the eye. PRK is a little safer, but takes longer to heal.

The doctor will evaluate if your eyes are stable enough for the surgery. I can tell you I was told to wait until I was 30 years old.

For the record I used San Francisco LASIK Eye Surgery, San Jose LASIK Surgeon: Custom Wavefront and PRK I could not have been happier
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning

-- Ed
It's either eyes or a short block from you so we can turn up the boost....
Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
had it done w/ Dr. Kawesch from the Silicon Valley Lasik Group or something like that.. they have an office in San Jose and Pleasanton. My new optometrist does it too. (i only see the optometrist now btw so i can get sunglasses thru my eye insurance provider) hahaa...

i had the mechanical cuts done to my eye and then laser correction. now they do both laser cutting and correction. much better now than what it was back then.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Between Lasik and PRK, PRK is definitely the better option. Although I've heard it can affect your night vision. My friends that have had the procedure done were happy with the results.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
I went to Dr Bansal at LaserVue. It is one of the more expensive one (5k), but the best money I've ever spent. Definitely wait until your vision stabilizes.

I seem to remember that they did give me a valium or something to relax me. It was very smooth and I don't even remember a funky smell. Just have to keep you eye on the little red dot. My vision was foggy for a few days, but it is worth it.

You will need to do a lot of eyedrops afterwards, some medicated, some lubricating. You get used to it. I still have to put eyedrops in every morning, as my eyes get very dry at night. I don't use a lot during the day anymore. As others have said, lights are brighter at night and sometimes have a halo effect. For example, when I look at a full moon now I see doubles. The degree to which that happens is different for each person.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ddraig
I went to Dr Bansal at LaserVue. It is one of the more expensive one (5k), but the best money I've ever spent. Definitely wait until your vision stabilizes.

I seem to remember that they did give me a valium or something to relax me. It was very smooth and I don't even remember a funky smell. Just have to keep you eye on the little red dot. My vision was foggy for a few days, but it is worth it.

You will need to do a lot of eyedrops afterwards, some medicated, some lubricating. You get used to it. I still have to put eyedrops in every morning, as my eyes get very dry at night. I don't use a lot during the day anymore. As others have said, lights are brighter at night and sometimes have a halo effect. For example, when I look at a full moon now I see doubles. The degree to which that happens is different for each person.
+1 on the drops, doctor made me put eye drops in every 2 hours, even in the middle of the night (yes you set your alarm to go off every 2 hours), and this lasted for a week or two,
Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I had my optometrist say I'm too blind for lasik but that was a few years ago...my eye prescription is -5.something

As far as recommendations, on the radio I always hear about dr william ellis or dr craig bindy as having a pay for one eye get the 2nd free deals haha...not sure how I feel about a coupon for eyesight but they have great reviews

Quick Reply: Laser eye surgery