Laptop Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Laptop Help!

So I have a HP Pavilion laptop i think its the media edition. I got it in the summer of 06 but for about a year now it dies when i try to watching streaming video or download anything, such as itunes updates and songs. It took me 4 tries to download itunes 9.... It also dies when i try to play any computer game, games such as old C&C and starcraft. What is does it the fan makes lots of noise and the bottom gets super hot. I can only feel a small amount of air when the fan is going at full speed. It also boots right back up when i turn it back on.

My question is what is wrong? I think the fan dead or is something else wrong. I recently took most of it apart and tried to get any dust out but i was unable to get to the fan since i was tired of trying after i took out over 30 screws/clips.

If it is repairable where should i take it? I know not to take it to BB or anyplace like that.

I also want to get an I-mac since i want something with a bigger screen, something new, and faster. Its also pointless for me to have a laptop when it never leaves my desk. So if its going cost me too much ill just get an I-Mac since i can get a decent deal since i'm in school and no interest 12 months.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Its overheating and you can simply fix it. Go to Fry's or Walgreens and buy some "canned air" or computer/electronics compressed air. Turn off the computer and blow it in all of the vents multiple times.

The fan may be on its way out, but cleaning it with the compressed air can help. A lot of the times dirt builds up and lowers the air movement and coats the heat sinks so they don't work as well. The dirt can also throw the fan off balance which can wear down the bearings inside of it.

If thoroughly cleaning it doesn't help, replace the fan, it should be relatively easy. I could even help you.

Last edited by code3suby; 11-08-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Thanks ill go by walgreens and try that tomorrow. And if that doesn't work I'll defiantly take you up on the offer to help install a new fan since I'm awful with little parts that break easily, ive broken almost every little locking screw thing on my splash guards... I will also provide In N Out and Beer
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Yup, sounds like it is overheating. Computers have a safety switch, where if it hits a certain temp, it shuts off to protect itself. Definitely try the compressed air, you can also try using a vacuum. One of my old room mates had overheating problems, and had a normal desk fan blowing into the fan port, which kind of helped the problem, so that might be a temp fix before you get the compressed air, or get a new laptop fan.

I think HP has a pretty good collection of tutorial videos, but they're pretty hard to find. I remember I them when I had to replace my mom's LCD screen. So, if you do need to replace the fan and you don't know what you're doing, try looking for those. Posting up your HP model might help
Old 11-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Car Info: a rental car and then a scooter
I prefer using a vacuum rather than blowing the dirt into the laptop. also another thing to check, is your hard drive full, or do you have plenty of space.
keep in mind that the thermal paste that helps transfer heat from the cpu to the heat dissipator, over time it loses some of it's properties. you can also try to buy a small tube of thermal paste and replace it. make sure you check on how to clean out the old paste.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
all good ideas above
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM

I have about 15 free gbs so I think I'm good on free space but thanks for all the ideas.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Whats the model number? One of our VP's @ work has an hp pavillion nc6400 laptop that is habitually overheating. I've already blown out the heatsinks, air intakes/exhausts with canned air, and done the BIOS update that HP says is supposed to help (not so much). Did some reading around and its a pretty common failure, fan works but the timing is all wrong. We're just going to replace the laptop with a new one since the nc6400 is out of warranty.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by STiForFun
Whats the model number? One of our VP's @ work has an hp pavillion nc6400 laptop that is habitually overheating. I've already blown out the heatsinks, air intakes/exhausts with canned air, and done the BIOS update that HP says is supposed to help (not so much). Did some reading around and its a pretty common failure, fan works but the timing is all wrong. We're just going to replace the laptop with a new one since the nc6400 is out of warranty.
So i found its a DV8000 lets hope i don't find out it breaks just like your boss'
Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
did you blow it out with the compressed air?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 AM

Going to tomorrow but i should of already since WCG finals are streamed and i want to watch them....