Just watched District 9 as well as the new GI JOE film, review, no spoilers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Just watched District 9 as well as the new GI JOE film, review, no spoilers!

Hello all,

Since I've been stuck at home recovering from the surgery, I've had a lot of time on my hands and got a chance to watch district 9, as well as about 40mins of the new GI Joe film, (only the first half, ghetto bootleg).

District 9 (No spoilers).

Let me first say that I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, some of my fav films are movies like "Event Horizon", Aliens", and well made films like that. I had my doubts about district 9 until I heard that peter jackson was directing it, and we all know that he doesn't cut corners and does everything right the first time around, and this film was no exception. I didn't know too much about this film minus a few previous I saw, and I was pleasently surprised when watching it! Not only did it have great CG, but it had pretty good acting (no super famous people which was great), and a pretty cool story... It was what transformers should have been is the best way I can describe it. I dont want to go into detail, but I'll tell you that I really enjoyed it and would actually like to watch it again in the actual theaters. I loved the concept of how the Aliens were trapped here by us, instead of the same old alien story line where they invade us, then we fight back, win, etc. I was actually rooting for the aliens through the whole film, it was def a breath of fresh air for me, and would be for any sci fi fan. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys these types of films.

GI JOE:

I was a HUUUUGE GI JOE fan when I was a kid, even more then transformers, and I really liked the original transformers cartoons... With that being said, I watched the first 40 mins of GI JOE and really liked it! It was a little cheesy, kinda like how transformers was, but the nostalgic factor was really great! I was smiling through a lot of the scenes just because it reminded me of the old school cartoon. The Rise of Cobra might not be for everyone, esepcially the folks who never watched the original GI JOE, since I only watched the first part of it, I can't give you a whole review, but I can tell you that I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the rest of the film when it comes out! Some really cool action scenes and the way they modernized GI JOE was really cool! I was worried about the cheese factor, and although it was a bit cheesy, it was a cool kind of cheese. If you liked transformers, you will def like GI JOE, I promise. I can't wait to see the other half, I wanna know what happens!

Keep in mind that I watched ghetto bootleg versions, so the real deal will be much better! District 9 and GI JOE are two totally different movies with totally different vibes/feel as you watch them. If I had to choose, I'd say that district 9 was a better film all together, but GI JOE was more "fun", and I'm sure you'll agree with me when you watch it. Even if you have never seen GI JOE before, you'll still enjoy this, it's a very "fun" movie and one that will bring back some really cool memories of the original film.

The end.

PS: Anyone else seen either? Care to add some thoughts?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
so you broke the law to get these movies?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
wth

Last edited by dorifto88; 07-29-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
district 9 come out already?!

Damn i'm behind with the world. lol
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
so you broke the law to get these movies?
Technically, I didn't... My friend did, I just happened to watch them over his shoulder.

And also,
Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
district 9 come out already?!

Damn i'm behind with the world. lol
No, it didn't... My friend had it and was I was watching it with him.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
my theory about d9 from the previews is that the spray he gets himself in the face with starts changing him. I haven't seen the film yet, but I want to.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by brucelee
I had my doubts about district 9 until I heard that peter jackson was directing it, and we all know that he doesn't cut corners and does everything right the first time around, and this film was no exception.
Actually, Peter Jackson didn't direct it, he only produced it. Basically, he threw money at it.

Also, I don't understand why people think that Peter Jackson can do no wrong and that all he touches turns to gold. You should go rent the movies "Bad Taste" (written, produced, and directed by Peter Jackson) and "Dead-Alive" aka "Braindead" (Directed by Peter Jackson). And if you think those movies are only bad because they were his early work, you should also rent "Peter Jackson's King Kong"

Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPYTfS8Kuw
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbOmCUWm25w

Last edited by Sasco; 07-29-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 AM

I dunno, I guess it's just the few films that he was a part of were done really well, especially lord of the rings which is one of my all time fav film series, and honestly I dont think it could have been done any better. He even did a good job at the king kong remake, which says a lot since it's difficult to remake something like that.

I just though D9 was done well, and worth a watch especially if you feel like seeing something a little different then normal. Its not cheesy, great CG, believable actors and I love the fact that it has no big name actors in it, and the story was a breath of fresh air, thats for sure!

GI Joe was def cheesy, but a really cool kind of cheese, maybe its just because I loved the orginal cartoons that played in the 80s. I had all the GI Joe toys and had crazy large battles set up every day. My dad would teach me how to set up the most effective way to invade or defend based on his knowledge of military history, so not only was it fun, but I learned a lot too!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:06 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I'm looking forward to D9. The vibe I got from the plot based on previews seemed to parallel that segment in the Animatrix that went over the history of the Man and Machine conflict.

I expect GI Joe to be terribad as a film but I'll be seeing it anyway. Nostalgia factor wins and as long as I go expecting it to be cheesy, which you've semi-confirmed, I don't think I'll be overly disappointed.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I was kinda iffy about D9 but I guess it might worth going to watch.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Hello all,

Since I've been stuck at home recovering from the surgery, I've had a lot of time on my hands and got a chance to watch district 9, as well as about 40mins of the new GI Joe film, (only the first half, ghetto bootleg).

District 9 (No spoilers).

Let me first say that I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, some of my fav films are movies like "Event Horizon", Aliens", and well made films like that. I had my doubts about district 9 until I heard that peter jackson was directing it, and we all know that he doesn't cut corners and does everything right the first time around, and this film was no exception. I didn't know too much about this film minus a few previous I saw, and I was pleasently surprised when watching it! Not only did it have great CG, but it had pretty good acting (no super famous people which was great), and a pretty cool story... It was what transformers should have been is the best way I can describe it. I dont want to go into detail, but I'll tell you that I really enjoyed it and would actually like to watch it again in the actual theaters. I loved the concept of how the Aliens were trapped here by us, instead of the same old alien story line where they invade us, then we fight back, win, etc. I was actually rooting for the aliens through the whole film, it was def a breath of fresh air for me, and would be for any sci fi fan. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys these types of films.
dude its based on neil blumkamp short, it has to be at least sorta awesome....

some of neils shorts:

Alive in Joberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8

Tempbot
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwh...bot_shortfilms

Yellow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmd8B...eature=related

Tetra Vaal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4gHfsJbtrM

and the Halo 3 live action shorts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYiIR-_Tpso

Last edited by Irrational X; 07-30-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
sidenote: ALive in joberg, and Tetra vaal are my fav's.... and halo3 of course
Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 AM

Car Info: nothing
both look bad.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 AM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Technically, I didn't... My friend did, I just happened to watch them over his shoulder.

And also,
.......................^^^

Quick Reply: Just watched District 9 as well as the new GI JOE film, review, no spoilers!