Just need a little advice planning for the future (Not car related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Impreza WRX
Just need a little advice planning for the future (Not car related)

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but here goes...

Well at this point in my life I have a general direction that I think I am gonna go in and I would like to run it by you guys. From when I was a kid I always wanted to be the big important guy that companies payed to have flown around the world to meet and talk with people. From closing deals over sushi with Mr. Tanaka in japan, to chatting at a cafe with Baron Pierre Francois in Paris, I can see myself doing business with the world. To prepare for all of this I have started learning japanese through a combined self study and academic courses. I would not say I am fluent, but I have a firm grasp of the language that I continue to pursue in college.

So to follow my dreams, I really didn't know what major to pursue. But browsing potential options I saw "International Business" with caught my eye. It seemed like a general enough major as business can be applied towards anything, and the international part just sweetened the deal for me. So I applied International business to a plethora of schools which leads me to wear I am right now.

I have been accepted to George Washington University in Washington D.C. under the terms of Early Decision. I was accepted to the school of business with international business as my major. I also plan to minor in Japanese while in school. Washington D.C. Is close enough to NYC so I figure that there could be some good internship opportunities in the city, as I have no interest in politics or government jobs.

Out of all of the aspects of international business I think that marketing suits me the best, so I am going with am emphasis on marketing for my IBUS major.

I know it's been said Ad Nasuem, but I just dont want to end up as another suicide at 30 due to hating my job and stress. I want to do something that will be fun and rewarding. Pretty much looking forward to my job every day. Its something very rare these days, but I hope to achieve it.

So after reading that essay that I typed it in a half-panicked mid-mid-life crisis frenzy, would you say that I am on a good track in life? Anything I need to brush up on, rethink, or rework?

Just any general guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening to my musings.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
**** college, be a grease monkey

thats my ****ty advice for what its worth
Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Damn, high goals man! To achieve what you're looking at will take time in the industry, school alone will not grant you access to such lavish endeavors. You have the right attitude, that's for sure... Just remember to not build up impossible expectations as you will only set yourself up for disappointment.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Uc Dvc Imo
Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX Wagon, 08 SSM STI
Some words of advice for you...

-Your college degree helps get your foot through the door for your first job, after that its all about your personal and business connections. Many times, hiring managers make snap judgments about you based solely on the college you came from.

-I know a lot of people who have successful careers doing something that is completely different from what they majored in. The most important assests you can bring to any job are being smart, being a self-starter, and being an effective communicator.

-Many people go to work to collect a paycheck. If you can find a job that you truly enjoy, then more power to you. But when you have a mortgage, spouse, kids, etc., your priorities can change.

-Once you get into management, it is ALL about politics and playing the "game". If you aspire to be some high-up corporate type, you better be good at that.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by burndtjamb
Some words of advice for you...

-Your college degree helps get your foot through the door for your first job, after that its all about your personal and business connections. Many times, hiring managers make snap judgments about you based solely on the college you came from.

-I know a lot of people who have successful careers doing something that is completely different from what they majored in. The most important assests you can bring to any job are being smart, being a self-starter, and being an effective communicator.

-Many people go to work to collect a paycheck. If you can find a job that you truly enjoy, then more power to you. But when you have a mortgage, spouse, kids, etc., your priorities can change.

-Once you get into management, it is ALL about politics and playing the "game". If you aspire to be some high-up corporate type, you better be good at that.
Well said.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 AM

Car Info: 07 STI
IB is a tough major, good luck and it sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
UCBC----University of California Behind Costco.....(Las Positas Community College) FTW!!! Sounds good, you should read that book, The Secret. Basically states that what you want you will get. Pretty Motivating, but you have to be a positive thinker.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:48 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I can't emphasize this enough. you need to know how to get peoples attention with words. being confident but not cocky. also playing the "game" can be a stress. you have to be able to read people and make decisions based on them.

I love the job I have now, but I work too much. the only thing I hate right now is my new boss. He keeps information from his team to try and make himself "important" and worth something.

anyways, I digress...

Good luck Arya with what ever you decide to do. Major in something you love and become good and what you want to do. Almost all of the people I know and respect in the industry I work in do not have job related majors. Some majored in Art and language and are software developers and managers.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:23 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
the only people i know in IB majors are people that grew up speaking spanish...in other words, its gonna be a pain in the *** to learn any language enough to communicate starting now. 1/4 the people can hardly communicate in english.

I go to the Art Institute SF for Media Arts Animation, going into not realizing 60 hrs is the average work week.

My dream job would be Storyboarding, Cameraman, Editing, Pointing out peoples mistakes
Old 12-31-2007, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Talk to the rich guys

My buddy graduated from UCLA (business). Started his first Co. with 3 of his classmates...the rest is history. How'd he do it, I don't know, I'm not a business major. My advice to you...find some RICH business majors that know the ropes and get the real deal from them. He flies all over the place, is a sought after asset, lives in a million dollar home, and always seems to be working,...always. Oh, and he doesn't speak a word of Japanese, or any other language for that matter.

Last edited by Chrisnonstop; 12-31-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: one more thing...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:32 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
You want to go do international business - well your degree dont' mean ****. I have a fraternity brother who was anthropology. People who were triple majors in biology, engineering and economics thought he was lazy as ****. This brother now works for Blackstone Group, which is the most powerful, richest private equity entitity in the entire world which has ever existed. (basically the best possible job in the world someone in the financial field can get. I mean, as much as people in normal financial fields wish they could be in a major Ivy League populated Wall Street investment bank, I-Bankers wish they could work for Blackstone) /endrant

Most important thing in college - networking.

This is why private colleges are better than public (in general - this is a blanket statement so don't flame me) Because networking is easier in private colleges.

This is why joining a frat is good, because it is an instant network.

This is why Ivy League is what it is, because the network is prestigious.

What you do in college is meeting people. GWU is a pretty prestigious university so I imagine there are fellow classmates of yours that will be CEOs and major movers and shakers in the future.

Meet them.

Participate in activities conducive to your future goals (want to go to Law school? How about being in a pre law club for starters. Want to go to medical school? how about volunteering at hospital or doing research for a professor for starters?)

But don't network and do activities at the expense of your GPA. Especially wth a 'soft' humanities major like IB, if you decide to go to law school, business school later on a low GPA could be a major liability.

Last edited by verc; 12-31-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
O yeah, since I mentioned it in passing in my post - if you are indeed interested in Wall Street-ish or top tier financial jobs, make sure you get into as prestigious of a university as possible. This will matter perhaps far more than your GPA and how well you actually do in college. Same with the consulting industry. (after all consulting is really a lot about image, the sales pitch of "My team of Yale law grads can make better decisions about your business strategy than you can")
Old 12-31-2007, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 04 STi

Im going to quote this too. Its very true, I work in corporate hq for a large bank and I see it every day. Its not for everybody...ESPECIALLY not for me! I cant put on a happy face and be friendly to people I could care less about.

Like everyone else said, networking is the most important aspect of succeeding in a big shot position....

"Its not what you know...but who you know" - That mantra has held very true in my experience.