Just got backed in by a freakin' Van, Big dent on the hood.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
If you call the police to repot an accident they have to cone to the scene to file a report. Regarless of weather someone is injured or not. What if this guy fell on his way home and decided to sue the other driver for smashing into him. Don't you thuink that would cause a problem. Any time property is damaged a police report must be filed. The first either insurance co is going to ask "do you have the poilice report number".
Old 02-24-2007, 08:46 PM

Car Info: 05' WRB STI
Originally Posted by ipozestu
If you call the police to repot an accident they have to cone to the scene to file a report. Regarless of weather someone is injured or not. What if this guy fell on his way home and decided to sue the other driver for smashing into him. Don't you thuink that would cause a problem. Any time property is damaged a police report must be filed. The first either insurance co is going to ask "do you have the poilice report number".

Actually no, that would not be the first thing I ask for (seeing as how I, you know, work in auto claims for an insurance company) and can tell you with the utmost certainty if you called the police for an accident with no injuries or anywhere on private property they would tell you to exchange info and wouldn't come out. Sure, maybe you can be an *** and demand they come out but do you really think they're going to do their due diligence? No, they won't.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

you're an idiot. enjoy paying your deductibles.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
This happened to me once... but the PD was kind enough to come out and MAKE the darn lady to give me her info (she wouldn't at first). But then again, due to private property, PD wouldn't file a police report.

Originally Posted by mac35g
if you called the police for an accident ... anywhere on private property they would tell you to exchange info and wouldn't come out.
Oh yeah, and that lady tired to shift blame on the 'hill'. We were at the entrace of the gas station and she backed into me. Anyway, I paid my deductable, got the car fixed ASAP, and got the full deductable back few months later. With my bad fortune, I've been into too many none fault accident. I never waited, just pay first, get it fix, and be on my way. Didn't want to stress over or think about it. I pay my insurance company to 'stress' for me.

My logic is this. My insurance company doesn't want to loose money, but since they paid for my stuff ahead of time (which they have to and can't/haven't drag on their asses), they'll fight to get their money back. But the other insurance company, since they have to pay me but they don't work for me, they'll be VERY slow. I might be wrong, but it has been working for me...

Once again mhl23, good luck...
Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 02 aspen white WRX
Originally Posted by StupidDent
This happened to me once... but the PD was kind enough to come out and MAKE the darn lady to give me her info (she wouldn't at first). But then again, due to private property, PD wouldn't file a police report.

Oh yeah, and that lady tired to shift blame on the 'hill'. We were at the entrace of the gas station and she backed into me. Anyway, I paid my deductable, got the car fixed ASAP, and got the full deductable back few months later. With my bad fortune, I've been into too many none fault accident. I never waited, just pay first, get it fix, and be on my way. Didn't want to stress over or think about it. I pay my insurance company to 'stress' for me.

My logic is this. My insurance company doesn't want to loose money, but since they paid for my stuff ahead of time (which they have to and can't/haven't drag on their asses), they'll fight to get their money back. But the other insurance company, since they have to pay me but they don't work for me, they'll be VERY slow. I might be wrong, but it has been working for me...

Once again mhl23, good luck...
Last time i got rear ended, a police drove by, stopped and asked if anyone was hurt, and when he found out that there was nobody hurt, he drove away, and said to us, have a good night. So I don't think cops would like to file any kind of a report if nobody is hurt.

Hey Leo, just wanna ask you if you went to the adjuster of the other party before you set up an appointment with your own insurance? coz if the other party's insurance hasn't seen the car and you fix it, how do the other party knows how much damage was caused?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 10:35 PM
VIP Member

Your right they don't like too. If you call the police to file a report for damage of property they have to come to file the report.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Former Vendor

Most of the time I drop the car off immediately and before reporting to my insurance company. The adjuster would then work with the bodyshop directly. Unless I report to my insurance company before I bring the car in. But I've never met the adjuster of the other insurance compnay.

My attitude was, here are my key, car, and deductable. I'll come back when the car is done and you (insurance company/bodyshop) take care of the rest. Best to check with your insurance company. But most likely it's not going to be a problem for you (get it fixed before the other adjuster gets to see it). Your adjuster from your insurance company should be able to send over everything including pictures, estimate, and a write-up and should be good enough.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by mhl23
Hey Leo, just wanna ask you if you went to the adjuster of the other party before you set up an appointment with your own insurance? coz if the other party's insurance hasn't seen the car and you fix it, how do the other party knows how much damage was caused?

Last edited by DetailAddict; 02-26-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Car Info: 05' WRB STI

Thanks
I'm not Leo but I'll jump in on this one

What happens is either the shop or your companies adjuster will photograph the car's damage and keep a copy of the estimate. Then, when they are done paying for your damage they send the photos, estimate and proof of payment to the other carrier.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM

The guy finally accepted liability !

Now I need to find a good body shop in Berkeley. Berkeley only coz I will have the car towed
I have searched on the forum, and found Baron Von Frier is a good choice.
Do they do mechanical repair also? since my radiator might be cracked. I need a collision repair shop.

Thanks again for all the help !
Old 02-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Your right they don't like too. If you call the police to file a report for damage of property they have to come to file the report.

Um, not they dont, not always. Within the City of SF, for example, there is no report filed without an injury.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor

My bodyshop would only do body and have the mechanical stuff done by the dealership. But I don't know if there is a good dealership by Berkelely. My shop is down at Santa Cruz. Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer a Subaru dealership over a bodyshop or other generic auto repair. How about asking the insurance company or bodyshop to use one of the i-club vendors near by your bodyshop? Often time insurance company pays only the bodyshop, but the bodyshop can always source it out to other places. Good luck!

Leo

The guy finally accepted liability !

Now I need to find a good body shop in Berkeley. Berkeley only coz I will have the car towed
I have searched on the forum, and found Baron Von Frier is a good choice.
Do they do mechanical repair also? since my radiator might be cracked. I need a collision repair shop.

Thanks again for all the help !
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by StupidDent
My bodyshop would only do body and have the mechanical stuff done by the dealership. But I don't know if there is a good dealership by Berkelely. My shop is down at Santa Cruz. Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer a Subaru dealership over a bodyshop or other generic auto repair. How about asking the insurance company or bodyshop to use one of the i-club vendors near by your bodyshop? Often time insurance company pays only the bodyshop, but the bodyshop can always source it out to other places. Good luck!

Leo
I know there is a dealership in Berkeley, Albany Subaru, and they have a repair center.
But my car has d/p, borla hush, EDM, and lowered. I am not sure if the dealership is willing to fix it.

Anyone has any experience with Albany Subaru?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:13 PM

finally got my car back. I took it to Baron Von Frier, and they told me that they took out 90% of the dent by paintless dent removal, except a crease on the front, so they sand it down, and used some bondo, then repainted my hood.
Is using bondo any good?
The total cost for this is 1250, which i think was kinda expensive, if they are not replacing the whole hood. but it's way too late to request them to replace the whole hood, right?

They mess up the aim for my headlights and foglights when they take out the bumper... kinda annoying, AND they put the foglight covers on incorrectly.

So I would prefer Creative Kustoms over them if I have a chance next time.
But the guys are Baron Von Frier are really nice, so +1 to them.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

shoot...

for $1250, they SHOULDA HAVE replaced it...

and have them fix EVERYTHING they messed up... no matter how nice they are.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Car Info: 06 STI cgm
that just happend to me 3 weeks ago but they took my headlight out with it. instead of getting a new hood and getting it painted I got a cf hood. was able to pocket $1000 from insurance doing it that way.
insrurance will probably estimate the damage at $1400-$1800 and with a good cf hood at less than half that you should be able to come out alright. It kind of pays for all the BS you have to go through:/

Quick Reply: Just got backed in by a freakin' Van, Big dent on the hood.