Just in case you didn't know... the Carpool lane isn't the freakin Autobahn...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
NOOOOOOT!

hehe
Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
What Wocabin said... sarcasm
ok, cuz i was about to cite myself
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
First off, I'm not forcing or "making" you do anything. That is 100% YOUR CHOICE.

"Let's take a look at one of the major causes of car accidents: speeding. Of all accident causes, it seems like it is the most preventable. The results of speeding are devastating: nearly 30 percent of all car accident fatalities are caused by speeding, that totals nearly 13,113 lives in 2005 alone.
Why is speeding so deadly? Some reasons:

Speed increases a driver's stopping distance
Speed reduces your ability to maneuver around curves or things dropped in the roadway
Speed increases the distance a driver travels when reacting to a deadly situation such a brake lights in front of them, a deer on the highway or a child's ball that went into the street."

I'll dig up more later. I can tell from your way of thinking however, that your profession, and the area of expertise in which you are trained, is not one that investigates, or deals with car accidents. Therefore, you're "fact" of 10-15 mph over the limit (75-80 mph) not causing a danger really holds no water.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, as it is just information against a dangerous way of thinking.

Middle lane is supposedly safest because if you need to dodge something in the middle of the lane, you have left and right to move to. At least that's what I was taught in drivers education. You also don't have to deal with people merging in

That was a very well thought out post and I couldn't agree with you more.

As much as I hate to admit it, but speed kills... It's the laws of nature and simple physics. 15mph can make hell of a difference in an accident, and can def be the difference between life and death. Even 10mph can increase your chances of not making it out of the accident, especially in older cars not equipped with redundant safety zones, sticky tires, and huge brembo brakes. Although cars are getting safer, physics are not changing, and weird things happen on the road.

We all love to speed even though we know its dangerous, we still do it... Some people try to convince themselves that a little speed won't make a difference in an accident, and some people try to convince themselves that they are invincible and wont ever be in an accident... Perhaps so that they can do dangerous things without thinking of the consequences? I used to do that when I was younger... I had no fear because I didn't think anything would ever happen to me... As I've aged things have changed drastically... It's funny what age (wisdom) can do to a man.

In short, speed kills, and yes, 10mph more on top of 65mph can be very catastrophic, anyone who doesn't think so is living in a world of denial.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
i've seen a prius that has a fat bumper stick across the entire back bumper that says "PLEASE DON'T TAILGATE ME". i dislike slow hybrids that bog down the entire carpool lane just for the sake of saving a few mpgs
Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Originally Posted by donkeykong
i've seen a prius that has a fat bumper stick across the entire back bumper that says "PLEASE DON'T TAILGATE ME". i dislike slow hybrids that bog down the entire carpool lane just for the sake of saving a few mpgs
Freaking hybrids get better mpg's when stopping and going. They recharge their batteries taht way, so why do they get a free pass to drive 70 or so in the carpool lane during commute times? Maybe we should get some kind of exemption for those of us that are running cat less. Umm I get better mpg and pollute less while maintaining higher speeds sir Judge he he. So please give me a carpool pass so that I can pollute less while passing everyone in a hybrid while they generate more battery power in stop and go traffic.

Plus most Prics drivers, I mean Prius drivers are usually a-holes to begin with. Last summer while carpooling from SJO on 880N some douche and his wife were tailgating me while in my STi. I hella brake checked him and he nearly hit my ****, then found a small hole swung 2 lanes over tot he right and then proceeded to cut off my safety barrier of 2 to 3 cars by squeezing himself in front of me right where 880N carpool lane ends anyways. What a dumas! Had I not had my friends mom and grandma in the car with me I would of played the high beam and hinking game with them, but oh well. I was going 75 at the time too, that is what was so maddening!

-Gio
Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by East Bay STI
Freaking hybrids get better mpg's when stopping and going. They recharge their batteries taht way, so why do they get a free pass to drive 70 or so in the carpool lane during commute times? Maybe we should get some kind of exemption for those of us that are running cat less. Umm I get better mpg and pollute less while maintaining higher speeds sir Judge he he. So please give me a carpool pass so that I can pollute less while passing everyone in a hybrid while they generate more battery power in stop and go traffic.

Plus most Prics drivers, I mean Prius drivers are usually a-holes to begin with. Last summer while carpooling from SJO on 880N some douche and his wife were tailgating me while in my STi. I hella brake checked him and he nearly hit my ****, then found a small hole swung 2 lanes over tot he right and then proceeded to cut off my safety barrier of 2 to 3 cars by squeezing himself in front of me right where 880N carpool lane ends anyways. What a dumas! Had I not had my friends mom and grandma in the car with me I would of played the high beam and hinking game with them, but oh well. I was going 75 at the time too, that is what was so maddening!

-Gio

seriously. and prius/hybrid drivers just love showing off their "love" for the environment, slapping on whatever eco stickers they can to show how much of a better person they are than the rest of us because they're driving such "green" vehicles and saving the earth
Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
prius fact: number one accident pedestrian accident causing vehicle because it is so quiet. at least our catless lets other know we're coming =D
Old 04-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Did you know that a lot of Hybrid car owners compete with each other to see who can get the most MPG?

Instead of street racing, what they do is race with each other to see how much gas they can save during their commute! They do this by accelerating as SLOW as they possibly can and keep their RPMs as low as humanly possible.

Sounds harmless, right? WRONG! While competing with each other they in turn **** THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF EVERYONE! Cruising on the freeway going slow as hell regadless of what lane they are in, and they accelerate as slow as humanly possible which is enough to **** ANYONE off.

I've encountered quite a few of these jack asses... They accelerate so slow that it's almost like there is something wrong with their car... Normal people would be confused as to why they are accelerating because it's so out of the ordinary... However, if you're in the know, it'll **** you off more then anything.

They log their mileage with some sort of tracking ECU and then they post them on the internet and compete with each other.

So technically they are racing, only this is unlike any other race that you've ever seen.

Probably the most annoying thing ever when you're stuck behind one of these douchebags.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Car Info: 2017 Limited Edition BRZ
i definitely agree.

slow cars that drive in carpool lane should just move over. I always see some slow car holding up everyone else in carpool, which annoys me. I don't mind if you like to drive slow as long as you're in the slow lane and not in my lane. Slow meaning below 65. I've behind so many people who drive 50mph in the carpool. A lot of times the lane to the right of us is going way faster. So of course everyone is going to want to get around that slow car in carpool by changing lanes and going around that slow car. Why can't they just make it easier on everyone else by moving over to the right where they belong. [end rant]

all in all, slow cars should always keep right.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
First off, I'm not forcing or "making" you do anything. That is 100% YOUR CHOICE.

"Let's take a look at one of the major causes of car accidents: speeding. Of all accident causes, it seems like it is the most preventable. The results of speeding are devastating: nearly 30 percent of all car accident fatalities are caused by speeding, that totals nearly 13,113 lives in 2005 alone.
Why is speeding so deadly? Some reasons:

Speed increases a driver's stopping distance
Speed reduces your ability to maneuver around curves or things dropped in the roadway
Speed increases the distance a driver travels when reacting to a deadly situation such a brake lights in front of them, a deer on the highway or a child's ball that went into the street."

I'll dig up more later. I can tell from your way of thinking however, that your profession, and the area of expertise in which you are trained, is not one that investigates, or deals with car accidents. Therefore, you're "fact" of 10-15 mph over the limit (75-80 mph) not causing a danger really holds no water.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, as it is just information against a dangerous way of thinking.

Middle lane is supposedly safest because if you need to dodge something in the middle of the lane, you have left and right to move to. At least that's what I was taught in drivers education. You also don't have to deal with people merging in
I'd love to see a study that shows how many of these speeding driver's are also, talking on the phone or talking to their passengers or changing their CD's, going through their ipod looking for a new song. A ton of stuff that they shouldn't be doing. I would bet a majority of them are. It's funny in other states and other countries with higher speed limits, they have less accidents than we do here. Just because I'm speeding doesn't mean I'm gonna create an accident. Could I be a contributing factor, sure. But so could the person driving 65 but reading the paper, or putting on their makeup, or purposely trying to slow down a faster car.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
I have come to the conclusion that most people drive too slow in the fast lane, because they never look in their rear view mirror. I am completely serious. I honestly think they don't even think or know that they are holding others up.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
a few weeks back, i was driving on 17 south (2 lane highway with "slower traffic keep right" signs everywhere and speed limit 55), 11pm, random weekday night..very few cars out so i was cruising along at like 65 and i came up on a new vw about two miles into the twistys that was going slow in the left lane...
instead of passing like i normally do, i slowed down behind him and just paced him...he was doing 55 on straight and like 40 around corners...i followed him for roughly twenty miles from about 3 car lengths back...
we passed one car that was putting along in the slow lane and then we came up on a car in the left lane, vw tailgates the car for a bit, and then aggressively passes on the right and gets back into the left lane!
the car went to the right in front of me and i caught up to the vw and sat behind him again for about a mile, then couldnt take it anymore and passed him...he didnt even look over as i went back...
seems like he didnt even notice me? haa random story but it came to mind because it happens so much on 17
Old 04-26-2009, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
I have come to the conclusion that most people drive too slow in the fast lane, because they never look in their rear view mirror. I am completely serious. I honestly think they don't even think or know that they are holding others up.
I will believe that. Just take a drive on a mountain road and see the people that don't use turnouts when there are a line of cars behind them. I've almost been hit twice by stupid Asian ladies driving Civic hybrids who didn't use their mirror at all. Just signalled and tried to change lanes and try to ignore the horn honking to let them know that there is somebody already in the lane. And then they don't give you the courtesy of an, I'm sorry hand signal and won't even make eye contact with you so you can yell at them properly.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Did you know that a lot of Hybrid car owners compete with each other to see who can get the most MPG?

Instead of street racing, what they do is race with each other to see how much gas they can save during their commute! They do this by accelerating as SLOW as they possibly can and keep their RPMs as low as humanly possible.

Sounds harmless, right? WRONG! While competing with each other they in turn **** THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF EVERYONE! Cruising on the freeway going slow as hell regadless of what lane they are in, and they accelerate as slow as humanly possible which is enough to **** ANYONE off.

I've encountered quite a few of these jack asses... They accelerate so slow that it's almost like there is something wrong with their car... Normal people would be confused as to why they are accelerating because it's so out of the ordinary... However, if you're in the know, it'll **** you off more then anything.

They log their mileage with some sort of tracking ECU and then they post them on the internet and compete with each other.

So technically they are racing, only this is unlike any other race that you've ever seen.

Probably the most annoying thing ever when you're stuck behind one of these douchebags.

yeah i've heard of that before. i think it's called "hyper-miling". i've seen sites where people share tips on maximizing MPGs. driving around 60mpg, drafting behind big trucks, accelerating slowly, braking minimally, etc.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by woocabin
prius fact: number one accident pedestrian accident causing vehicle because it is so quiet. at least our catless lets other know we're coming =D
haha like in the office with andy sneaking up on dwight... that was awesome i've almost been hit by hyrbrid cars a few times cuz i never hear them coming :\

Quick Reply: Just in case you didn't know... the Carpool lane isn't the freakin Autobahn...