JIC coil question/favor

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 2.5RS STI swapped
Cool JIC coil question/favor

I live in San Francisco and just aquired a GC6 again. The previous owner had KYB AGX struts w/ ground control springs. He also threw in some JIC coils with it and I want to install them but don't know if they're to rough in the streets of San Francisco and East Bay. Especially downtown. Any if anyone is running JIC coil overs in the bay and they want to celebrate with me getting back into a subaru i'll buy ya beer if you'll give me a ride in your car with the JIC's.

Mostly just not sure I want to drop the 700 bucks for install, alignement and cornerweight deal. Also KYB struts set to full stiff vs JIC's set to full soft 7k/5k springs i think which would provide the smoothest ride? I'm pretty sure the JIC's will put the smack down over any spring/strut setup.

cheers

garrett
Old 02-03-2005, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Jon, (sonic_yellow) has those on his 95L sedan. They're pretty stiff compared to my KYB AGX on my RS but his car definetley handles really well. Jon hook this guy up with a ride dude!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:31 PM

Hmmmm. I wonder if it's worth the time and money. I think it handles pretty good with the KYB's. I could sell'em and get a turbo kit or some brembo's. I dunno there is much to be said about good suspension tho. Do you run your KYB's on full stiff or full soft? I think the KYB's on full stiff are quite harsh. I bounce a lot.

cheers

garrett

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
Jon, (sonic_yellow) has those on his 95L sedan. They're pretty stiff compared to my KYB AGX on my RS but his car definetley handles really well. Jon hook this guy up with a ride dude!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally Posted by coxmaster
Hmmmm. I wonder if it's worth the time and money. I think it handles pretty good with the KYB's. I could sell'em and get a turbo kit or some brembo's. I dunno there is much to be said about good suspension tho. Do you run your KYB's on full stiff or full soft? I think the KYB's on full stiff are quite harsh. I bounce a lot.

cheers

garrett
IMHO, JIC's are pretty stiff too. If I were going to put coils on...I would go with some Cusco's or TEIN's. Sell the JIC's and put that money towards better coilovers. Zeal Endless are nice too....all coils mention will be some $$$ though!!

I have had alot of different set ups, enough to know that the JIC's wouldnt go back on my car.

-freddie
Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM

****.... Yeah that seems to be the common consensous. To hard. San Francisco is really rough on cars as it is. I was thinking about trading up for some TEIN's. I'd like to roll the JIC's but I think I'm getting older. I like too turn (READ: LOVE TO TURN!!!) but I like a nice ride too. Did you have the first version of the dampers or the second version. Also what spring rates I hear the 8k/6k combo can be murder.

cheers

garrett

Originally Posted by 1WRX2NV
IMHO, JIC's are pretty stiff too. If I were going to put coils on...I would go with some Cusco's or TEIN's. Sell the JIC's and put that money towards better coilovers. Zeal Endless are nice too....all coils mention will be some $$$ though!!

I have had alot of different set ups, enough to know that the JIC's wouldnt go back on my car.

-freddie
Old 02-03-2005, 05:06 PM

****.... Yeah that seems to be the common consensous. To hard. San Francisco is really rough on cars as it is. I was thinking about trading up for some TEIN's. I'd like to roll the JIC's but I think I'm getting older. I like too turn (READ: LOVE TO TURN!!!) but I like a nice ride too. Did you have the first version of the dampers or the second version. Also what spring rates I hear the 8k/6k combo can be murder.

cheers

garrett
I dont even recall which they were. I do know they were supposed the be the "US Spec", The sales guy said the JIC were better then Cusco's and wanted me to try them out... I didnt even have them on that long, and I went back to Cusco Zero 2R's again. Alex, (Imprezer) is the one who introduced Cusco to me...and he was right...they are awesome.

Now a friend of mine bought the Zeals...which are alot of $$$, but that thing handled so well, was super low, but felt way better than stock when just cruising on the freeway...but agian...when he took turns, damn...they helped the car stick, just like it was switched from "pimp" mode...to "race" mode. lol

-freddie
Old 02-03-2005, 05:20 PM

What model of zeals where they and where did he get them? How are the zeals on the city streets vs the cusco's on the streets? I have some other cusco stuff that seems to work pretty well and have used them in the past.

cheers

garrett

:clippage:
Now a friend of mine bought the Zeals...which are alot of $$$, but that thing handled so well, was super low, but felt way better than stock when just cruising on the freeway...but agian...when he took turns, damn...they helped the car stick, just like it was switched from "pimp" mode...to "race" mode. lol

-freddie[/QUOTE]
Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM

I know he got a great price on them...but I am not sure of the model. I will call him and ask.

from what I felt, the Zeals felt softer than the Cusco's, but they both handled just as well. I dont mind a little stiffness in the ride...the JIC's were way to hard. (talking about coilovers here guys) lol

-freddie
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 PM

Car Info: '01 RS BRP
You should ask Madlib (Gil) or his brother. They both have RS's with JIC's. Both of them have relatively high spring rates.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:03 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I live in San Francisco and just aquired a GC6 again. The previous owner had KYB AGX struts w/ ground control springs. He also threw in some JIC coils with it and I want to install them but don't know if they're to rough in the streets of San Francisco and East Bay. Especially downtown. Any if anyone is running JIC coil overs in the bay and they want to celebrate with me getting back into a subaru i'll buy ya beer if you'll give me a ride in your car with the JIC's.

Mostly just not sure I want to drop the 700 bucks for install, alignement and cornerweight deal. Also KYB struts set to full stiff vs JIC's set to full soft 7k/5k springs i think which would provide the smoothest ride? I'm pretty sure the JIC's will put the smack down over any spring/strut setup.

cheers

garrett
I know I've been flamed for saying a lot of negative stuff about JIC Magics but, I have heard so many horror stories about JICs like cars dropping. My friend says the shocks blow out every 20k miles and koni has done shock dyno tests and JIC has one of the worst available. The same friend who says they blow out 20k miles has a WRX w/ those JICs and I hate his car's ride. I'm not sure if it's because they're blown or not, but his ride is extremely bouncy I'd rather be running on stock suspension.

On the other hand, KYBs are used very commonly and have proven themseleves to be quite good, and IMHO Ground Control make much higher quality coil sleeves than JIC ever will. I'd keep the set you have on right now, and sell the JICs.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:18 AM

UPDATE!!!!

I installed the JIC's against my better judgement. They handle like nobody's business. Dare I say it takes corners better than any production car ever made. It's amazing and holy hell is the ride bad! I picked up my g/f from johnny foley's last night and I almost had to pull over and get sick. The ride is pretty horrible. Forget having any kind of conversation in the car. I think our roads are pretty horrible around here and just don't play well with the JIC's. I dunno I need to tune it some more. I went from +2 clicks from full soft to +11 clicks from full soft and it's a little better. I probably doesn't help that I have like 8kg springs in the front and like 6kg in the back. I know someone posted about having them in an L. How do you set these things for your daily drive? I'm only 300 bucks into this so far. I wonder if I should just get some new springs and put the AGX's back on.

Over all I don't know how I feel. They handle great but I don't know if I can overlook the stomache churning ride. It's not very easy to drive. Anything that makes you not want to drive is a downgrade I think.

cheers

garrett
Old 03-18-2005, 10:30 AM

Car Info: N/A
The HKS Hipermax II's are supposed to be pretty comfortable from who my friend told me. Just tossing out another option.

jon
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM

How do they handle tho? I'm sure they decent and all. I think I'm more interested in keeping the JIC's I just would really like to know if people have found a way to dial them in so they're liveable on bay area streets...

I'll probably have to look at other suspension kits. I dunno if these will ever be tolerable on the street. *sigh*

cheers

garrett