Introducing Ed (Vaus here on i-Club), he can help those of you with MBCs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Thumbs up Introducing Ed (Vaus here on i-Club), he can help those of you with MBCs!

Ed is a good guy and a friend of mine, and he has developed a gadget to help you out if you're running an MBC on an '02-03 WRX without tuning, or when using a COBB ecu with an MBC.

His gadget, called an OLM or Open Loop Manager, allows for safe use of an MBC while curing the PTFB (Partial Throttle Full Boost) problems inherent with using an MBC.

Note that the OLM will not work on '04 WRXs (prolly not '05s either), as they have a 1-3 second delay on the transition from closed-loop to open-loop fueling.

Testing is still undergoing on '04-'05 models.

here's a couple threads that explain what the OLM does:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&highlight=OLM

The OLM is currently for sale at Kastleskorner.com, and could be for sale with a vendor here on i-Club soon!

Ed's been running an OLM with an MBC without tuning safely for over 20k miles, here's a road dyno of his car:

David

Last edited by Group B; 10-12-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Good to see that UCD education being put to good use.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:46 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
dave, thanks for posting this....

Here are some "cliff's notes" so you guys don't have to read that long 11 page thread...

The OLM is connected to a couple wires at the ECU harness... namely +5v, MAP, TPS, and ground. Basically the device watches the MAP signal (boost) and when it reaches a certain boost level, the OLM intercepts the TPS signal and synthesizes a more appropriate signal for the ECU causing the ecu to instantly switch to open loop fueling no matter of what the actual TPS value is. This allows you to run as much boost as your boost control allows at any throttle position and the OLM will take care of making sure that the ecu is in the correct fueling mode for the current boost levels. I was also able to map out the switchover very well, making it very smooth through the entire RPM range. Dave has ridden in my car, and he can attest to the feel

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I have to say, Ed's car feels very fast, with great throttle response.

I'd have to say it feels faster than my '04 STi w/factory reflashed ECU, JDM STi Panelfilter, and Tanabe 70mm SMR catback.

It friggin' hauls, and yet is very smooth too.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:39 PM

Car Info: X-Wing: ECU Tuner
Very cool Ed!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:56 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

thanks bill... just wish you had gotten a chance to check it out in person.

-- Ed
Old 10-12-2004, 11:01 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
wow.. nice work
Old 10-13-2004, 12:46 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Silver arrow
Same thing as the Vishnu EMI
Silver,
The OLM is indeed similar to the Vishnu EMI in concept. Both units intercept the TPS signal to force the ECU into open loop under part throttle, high boost conditions.
I personally have never used an EMI adapter, but have heard that it can be jerky at lower rpm transitions.
The final version of the OLM uses a microcontroller which allowed me to smooth out the transition through the entire RPM range to make it virtually invisible to the driver. The microcontroller also allowed me to make the OLM's fairly cheaply, and as I remember, Vishnu's EMI was in the vicinity of $250.

-- Ed
Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Scott@S-Squared
wow.. nice work
Thanks Scott,

The picture above is actually the first prototype unit. I originally tried to do it with analog circuitry, but I found it much simpler and more flexible to use a microcontroller. I'll take a pic of one of the new versions... they're very small and easy to hide.

-- Ed
Old 10-13-2004, 10:41 AM

Car Info: WR Blue 2004 WRX
How badly does it affect your MPG?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:05 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Monoxide
How badly does it affect your MPG?
Well the OLM doesn't actually affect MPG that much. I believe the EMI would force the ECU to switch to open loop at fairly low boost levels (around 1-3psi). This would deffinately cause come gas milage issues. With the OLM, the switchover remains near the stock boost levels (6-7psi). So as long as you keep it under 6-7psi, the ECU stays in closed loop and you're not guzzling fuel. Granted, with the added throttle response its very tempting and easy to shoot right past 6-7psi even at low throttle prositions, but once you get used to driving with an MBC, you can deffinately control it a bit more and gas milage can be virtually uneffected. I get anywhere from 19-25mph in mixed driving depending on how I drive. And I have to stress this again, the switchover is smooth as butter through the ENTIRE RPM range.

-- Ed
Old 10-13-2004, 02:11 PM

Car Info: WR Blue 2004 WRX
It's mentioned that the OLM doesn't support 04s. Do you have an estimated time for the 04 OLM?
Old 10-13-2004, 02:58 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Monoxide
It's mentioned that the OLM doesn't support 04s. Do you have an estimated time for the 04 OLM?
I don't have an estimated time, because I have yet to find an 04 to do extensive testing on. Basically I have to find some parameter that will trigger the ecu to go to open loop immediately rather than after a dellay as it does with the TPS. If I find an 04 locally, I might be able to come up with something.

-- Ed

Quick Reply: Introducing Ed (Vaus here on i-Club), he can help those of you with MBCs!